BANGKOK
alyx

Certificate of marital status

Hello everyone

We are planning to get married abroad and we are both non Thai

We are being asked by the "local" authorities to get a certificate of marital status/celibate/non impediment issued in Thailand where we reside.

I am aware it can be done with my country of origin ( that is not the question ) but can that be done here? 
I am not married in Thailand and I feel that the Khet would not issue any kind of document attesting of my marital status if I am not married and above as I am not Thai

Anyone ?

Thanks

your home embassy here in Thailand can issue a freedom to marry certificate that you are free to marry, this is accepted in Thailand, would that be good enough for where ever you are thinking of getting married. maybe you have to get the certificate from your enbassy in that country.

On 3/5/2020 at 8:12 AM, steve187 said:

your home embassy here in Thailand can issue a freedom to marry certificate that you are free to marry, this is accepted in Thailand, would that be good enough for where ever you are thinking of getting married. maybe you have to get the certificate from your enbassy in that country.

They are getting married abroad and they are not Thai. They don't need anything from any Thai authority and they don't need to register anywhere. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for both replies

I understand that this is kind of confusing but, as we reside in Thailand, the "authorities of the European" * country where we plan to get married are asking for this certificate issued in Thailand. 

I have already asked them * about this certificate being issued by our local consulate and I am waiting for a reply.

Max69xl: yes, but we are asked to produce this certificate ....from Thailand

I will keep you informed as soon a sI get a reply 

Thanks for your time 

23 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

They are getting married abroad and they are not Thai. They don't need anything from any Thai authority and they don't need to register anywhere. 

did you not read the op, 

''we are both non Thai We are being asked by the "local" authorities to get a certificate of marital status/celibate/non impediment issued in Thailand''

1 hour ago, alyx said:

Thanks for both replies

I understand that this is kind of confusing but, as we reside in Thailand, the "authorities of the European" * country where we plan to get married are asking for this certificate issued in Thailand. 

I have already asked them * about this certificate being issued by our local consulate and I am waiting for a reply.

Max69xl: yes, but we are asked to produce this certificate ....from Thailand

I will keep you informed as soon a sI get a reply 

Thanks for your time 

If you're not Thai and get married in your home country, why would any thai authority ask for any type of certificate? There are thousands of married foreign couples living in Thailand and they don't have to inform anyone in Thailand. 

• Like 1

Not the Thai authorities 

the foreign authorities 

but, then again, maybe they are just asking this certificate to be issued by our respective embassies in Thailand where we reside 

8 minutes ago, alyx said:

issued by our respective embassies in Thailand

I think this is what they want, an affirmation of freedom to marry sworn at your respective embassies in Thailand.

Yes 

Thanks 

haha the perils of communicating via the internet ...

i think you have answered your own question Alyx, with a little help from your friends ... it seems to my giant analytical intellect that the misunderstanding arises from your OP use of the word *local* ... to you that means "France" or "Poland" or wherever but to a couple of responders it understandably means "Thailand" (because that is where most of them currently live!).

Going with Poland ... to recap ...

It would seem the Polish authorities in Poland want to see a document issued by the Polish consulate in Thailand that states you are not a known bigamist. Correct?

With hindsight it may have been much clearer if you'd named your and fiancee's home countries ... no big secret surely ... unless you are perhaps North Korean.

Best of luck getting your document.

Hey 

thanks 

no, I meant Thai authorities as this is what I understood but I guess that I did not understand that correctly 

thanks for the highlight 

2 minutes ago, alyx said:

Hey 

thanks 

no, I meant Thai authorities as this is what I understood but I guess that I did not understand that correctly 

thanks for the highlight 

haha and there i was, thinking i could clearly see the problem.

Now I'm confused.

I'm in australia but already my brain feels like it's in Thailand.

39 minutes ago, alyx said:

Not the Thai authorities 

the foreign authorities 

but, then again, maybe they are just asking this certificate to be issued by our respective embassies in Thailand where we reside 

You said "getting married abroad" meaning in your home country? The papers you need you can get back home. If you're getting married at your embassy in BKK, then it's another story. 

Well...as I have mentioned, we both reside in Thailand

so, abroad is outside of Thailand

I also wrote that we were to get married in Europe 

sorry about the confusion 

29 minutes ago, alyx said:

Hey 

thanks 

thanks for the highlight 

No Thai authority have anything to do with you getting married back home in Europe. It must be a case of "lost in translation". If you're marrying a Thai lady then it's another story. 

• Like 1