2 valid passports (same country)

Hello, my country allows me to have 2 valid passports and one of them is full (with only 1 free page left). Can I get the 1-year Non-O visa extension stamp after the 30-day consideration period directly to the new passport, or will I have to get it transferred afterwards? Thank you.

Edited by falang07

You could have your stamps transferred to the other passport at the same time they do the one year extension stamp.

They might require your full passport to be canceled before they will do the transfer. I suggest you contact your local immigration office before going to get your extension stamp done.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

How are you able to get 2 valid passports from your country? What country? Surely when you get a new passport the old is invalid.

Some time ago (and possibly still now) it was possible to have two passports under extenuating circumstances. The most obvious one was for travel to Israel and another for travel to those countries where an Israeli stamp in the passport would raise too many questions. I understand this is less of a case now but there are still circumstances where people can argue for two passports

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could have your stamps transferred to the other passport at the same time they do the one year extension stamp.

They might require your full passport to be canceled before they will do the transfer. I suggest you contact your local immigration office before going to get your extension stamp done.

Thank you, I will ask.

My country (in EU) issues 2 passports for anyone who asks, no questions asked at all, it is quite common. I asked for it when I went home to be prepared when my old passport would fill up (since it was almost full).

• Thanks 1

I have 2 passports as well (UK)

When one (the main one I use for Thailand) was almost full, I went to renew it at VFS but they let you keep the passport (although they don't cut the corner, you can't use it for travel).

I then went to immigration to renew the visa, and got them to stamp it into the new passport - if they needed to see the old one was cancelled, I was prepared to cut the corner, but they didn't ask for that to be done.

6 hours ago, bbi1 said:

How are you able to get 2 valid passports from your country? What country? Surely when you get a new passport the old is invalid.

Certainly you can get two valid passports in the UK and I believe Germany (wife was offered it)  if you can justify it,  for example letter from your employer to say you travel regularly,  and your passport is forever being sent away to get visas.  I looked into it,  but did not bother in the end as I have dual nationality and just renewed my passport for my 2nd country and used that. 

To bbi1 (and others), I am a French national and in the same situation as the OP: entered LOS in last November with two valid pps, one full with needed visas and extensions and one brand new one: just had to send an affidavit and they issued me a new pp without me having to give back the old one as normally requested.

UK allows two passports. I got a letter from my employer stating that I lived in a country where I was obliged to produce my passport on demand, but also needed to send my passport away for visas etc on a frequent basis. No questions were asked by the passport office in Glasgow. Had a second passport the next day.

• Like 1

I have 5 years left on my passport but had to renew as its full. But it took a while to get it so I got the 30 day extension put in the old one, which still has about 3 or 4 pages left. I have the new one now but haven't touched it. As immigration they said its not necessary and just put it in the old one, so in theory could I just keep using that until its completely full, then start using the band new one, which is already a couple of months old?

7 hours ago, Deserted said:

so in theory could I just keep using that until its completely full, then start using the band new one, which is already a couple of months old?

You certainly cannot use it to enter or leave the country, although Visas etc in it can still be used. New Permit To Stay stamp will go into the new passport, the old one is cancelled. 

But my new passport did not have the arrival stamp on it, so I just got an extension in the same passport. They said no need, can use old one. But I am leaving the country today. So you are saying i have to use the new one now? Wouldnt they have told me that at immigration.