2020 Royal enfield Himalayan

The Royal Endfield dealership in Pattaya has test bikes: Himalayan- Interceptor 650- GT650.

I did a test ride of the Interceptor, app 40km, 2 weeks ago.

I really like it, it got loads of character, fairly fast up to 140km/h, very nippy, good sound when opening it up a bit, comfortable & beautiful to look at. Starts at 220k baht (goes up a bit depending of color choice), a steal considering the Triumph Street Twin cost app 408k baht. 

I don't like tubed tires/wheels so hope they one day make a model with tube-less tires.

They told me that they sell about 20 650cc models a month, mainly Thais. Expats tend to get the Himalayan.

Sorry a bit off topic since you are buying the Himalayan.

Hard to say how the service is, will likely wary a lot from dealer to dealer as it does with other brands of bikes, some are good & some are <deleted>.

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 1

Just had the 500 KM service done at the RE in Pattaya on Suk on my Interceptor 650. Cost was 4000bht for oil and filter change, 100% synthetic. Check valves. Pricey but necessary for warranty. It's all uptown looking in the shop and the showroom.

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Just had the 500 KM service done at the RE in Pattaya on Suk on my Interceptor 650. Cost was 4000bht for oil and filter change, 100% synthetic. Check valves. Pricey but necessary for warranty. It's all uptown looking in the shop and the showroom.

I have to admit that does sound a bit pricey and it's going to be quite a haul for me to make it to the dealer for service. I am sure at some point I will be doing the service my self but will be back at the dealer soon for my first warranty service. thanks for the info.  Did you use synthetic oil at your suggestion or theirs?

on the bright sideI just finished my first real service in on my 125 honda wave with 20000 klm. At my suggestion I had them ajust the valves, check and change spark plug, chain, and air filter plus an oil change. Price 1080 baht. The best part is my bike never ran better.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, siam dreamers said:

I have to admit that does sound a bit pricey and it's going to be quite a haul for me to make it to the dealer for service. I am sure at some point I will be doing the service my self but will be back at the dealer soon for my first warranty service. thanks for the info.  Did you use synthetic oil at your suggestion or theirs?

on the bright sideI just finished my first real service in on my 125 honda wave with 20000 klm. At my suggestion I had them ajust the valves, check and change spark plug, chain, and air filter plus an oil change. Price 1080 baht. The best part is my bike never ran better.

The manual calls for 10w-50 fully synthetic. The dealership uses Motul , ended up using 15W-50 100% synthetic. The 10w-50 is a blend. The warranty calls for  a dealer service every 5000km with oil change every 10,000km. When I took bike home the first time I asked about break in speed and they had no clue. I had already read up and it says to keep it at under 4 K tach and top speed of about 80 Kph which is 3K on the tach. I know there's different schools of thought on how to break a new engine in but I'm following what the manual says. I'm not trying to squeeze every HP out of it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Valve clearance check after 500km?

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

That's right.

That's what they told me as well. Must assume the valves are bedding in thus necessary checking the valve clearance.

The next service is below 2000 baht I think.

So EVENKEEL, how's the bike and what color did you get? Hope you will post a little review at some stage.

I am very interested getting one someday, perhaps next year.

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, guzzi850m2 said:

That's what they told me as well. Must assume the valves are bedding in thus necessary checking the valve clearance.

The next service is below 2000 baht I think.

So EVENKEEL, how's the bike and what color did you get? Hope you will post a little review at some stage.

I am very interested getting one someday, perhaps next year.

Cost for 5000 KM service is 700 bht, not sure what they do. Got the white tank with red on bottom. The seat lock is pretty rinky dink. You have to unlock side cover, reach up inside and pull a knob to release seat. Exhaust is quiet, going to put on some AEW's at 14,000bht.

I couldn't squeeze a little freebe out of them...nothing. Recommend you make having an English owners manual a must, Insurance from the Dealer is 13,500bht/yr. 

I was after the Triumph t100 at first but decided to save and so far I'm happy with the Int 650. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, siam dreamers said:

Motul is the most expensive oil, but especially when riding the engine in, it can only be good.

$ 20 to 30 for one liter is good money. 

P.S. For those who don't have a manual, you can get your copy here. For free. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1EPfodqvw-ZL_bvy6LIzhlByW8KlNFlNe&export=download

Edited by Isaanbiker

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Cost for 5000 KM service is 700 bht, not sure what they do. Got the white tank with red on bottom. The seat lock is pretty rinky dink. You have to unlock side cover, reach up inside and pull a knob to release seat. Exhaust is quiet, going to put on some AEW's at 14,000bht.

I couldn't squeeze a little freebe out of them...nothing. Recommend you make having an English owners manual a must, Insurance from the Dealer is 13,500bht/yr. 

I was after the Triumph t100 at first but decided to save and so far I'm happy with the Int 650. 

When I tried their test bike, I opened it up a couple of times and you can really hear the exhaust when you get over 4-5000 rpm, but since you are running in, you likely haven't heard it yet.

I was also looking a the new Street Twin but at 408k+ baht, I backed off and got a completely different bike, 2nd hand.

I heard that at some stage they will offer tubeless tires for the 650cc models, I will really prefer that.

45 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

When I tried their test bike, I opened it up a couple of times and you can really hear the exhaust when you get over 4-5000 rpm, but since you are running in, you likely haven't heard it yet.

I was also looking a the new Street Twin but at 408k+ baht, I backed off and got a completely different bike, 2nd hand.

I heard that at some stage they will offer tubeless tires for the 650cc models, I will really prefer that.

Evenkeel good luck with your bike and thank you for the info on servicing. My Himalayan will be delivered to my house on Tuesday. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

The manual calls for 10w-50 fully synthetic. The dealership uses Motul , ended up using 15W-50 100% synthetic.

The oil recommended in the manual costs about 1000THB, the one that you used costs about 3000THB, imho a waste of money.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The oil recommended in the manual costs about 1000THB, the one that you used costs about 3000THB, imho a waste of money.

No doubt especially if I'm not willing to go full 10,000KM between oil change. On Lazada ELF MOTO 4 100% synthetic 10w-50 is 360 bht/quart. I paid 690bht at the Patts dealer. Think I'll do required oil change at dealer and another at 5000km myself. Until my obligation at Dealer ends.

papa follows blogger 'Itchy Boots' on YouTube as she rides her

400cc RE from Patagonia >> Alaska.

She rode same bike from Russia?? >> Thailand >> & on

Peru now.   √ it.

On 3/24/2020 at 10:38 AM, Kwasaki said:

Daft vid really like he said chalk and cheese.

The trumpet is cheese,

RE chalk, right?

• Like 1

She rode same bike from Russia?? >> Thailand >> & on.

Peru now.   √ it.

On 3/24/2020 at 10:38 AM, Kwasaki said:

Daft vid really like he said chalk and cheese.

The trumpet is cheese,

RE chalk, right?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, papa al said:

She rode same bike from Russia?? >> Thailand >> & on.

Peru now.   √ it.

The trumpet is cheese,

RE chalk, right?

Well yeah chaIk how can the 2 bikes be compared that's why the vid is daft.

2 hours ago, papa al said:

She rode same bike from Russia?? >> Thailand >> & on

Peru now.   √ it.

The trumpet is cheese,

RE chalk, right?

I answered the second one. ????

Royal Enfield is getting a dealership in Chiang Rai too, right next door to Triumph Chiang Rai. Looks like same ownership. Opening soon, but the bikes have already arrived and are being displayed in front of the Triumph showroom:

49B27D2F-FE82-4C2F-961A-C4D8458736A7.jpeg

Edited by damascase
Addition
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2020 at 12:16 PM, EVENKEEL said:

No doubt especially if I'm not willing to go full 10,000KM between oil change. On Lazada ELF MOTO 4 100% synthetic 10w-50 is 360 bht/quart. I paid 690bht at the Patts dealer. Think I'll do required oil change at dealer and another at 5000km myself. Until my obligation at Dealer ends.

FYI for anyone reading this thread who requires 10W-40 oil. Yamaha has YamalubeR 100% synthetic for 360 baht per litre. From your friendly neighbourhood Yamaha dealer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1