2020 Royal enfield Himalayan

On 4/1/2020 at 1:58 PM, damascase said:

Royal Enfield is getting a dealership in Chiang Rai too, right next door to Triumph Chiang Rai. Looks like same ownership. Opening soon, but the bikes have already arrived and are being displayed in front of the Triumph showroom:

49B27D2F-FE82-4C2F-961A-C4D8458736A7.jpeg

Must take sales off Triumph. That Intercepter looks great, at half the cost of a Triumph.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pbas400 said:

Because no salts are used on the roads... no snow here.

I am familiar with this issue, as back in the day, in my own european country, salt was sprayed on icy road during winter-time.  My brake calipers had to cleaned after every winter otherwise they would not go back to their start position, which created all kind of screeching sounds and faster wear of the brake-pads (all jap bikes would have this issue). The best option was not to drive motorbike in winter ????

On 5/28/2020 at 2:16 AM, Henryford said:

Must take sales off Triumph. That Intercepter looks great, at half the cost of a Triumph.

My thoughts exactly.

I was really keen on the Street Twin but +400K baht!

I have tried both the Street Twin and the Interceptor and I like the sitting position better on the R.E.

Okay the S.T. has bigger engine with a bit more grunt but on this type of bike it doesn't really matter.

I think I am getting one at some stage, around 225k baht is a steal for your money.

• Like 1

The Triumph Street Twin is pretty overpriced for what it is. The fit'n'finish is OK but nothing else is great about the bike that would justify that pricing imho.

RE will eat a lot of Triumph sales even though their fit'n'finish isn't as nice but hey the styling isn't bad, the performance is about the same (and not super important) and all these bikes are devoid of tech features anyways so price is a very big factor and that's where they can win. In the end, you can have the same fun on either of the bikes.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 1

Triumph pricing is a bit strange in Thailand. The model i really like is the Bonneville Speedmaster, but it's 645,000 baht here, about 16,500 GBP !! In the UK it's only 11,650 GBP. You would think it would be cheaper, less VAT and labour costs.

Speedmaster-PS-RHS_COLBALT-BLUE_JET-BLACK_1920_1080.png

Edited by Henryford

19 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Triumph pricing is a bit strange in Thailand. The model i really like is the Bonneville Speedmaster, but it's 645,000 baht here, about 16,500 GBP !! In the UK it's only 11,650 GBP. You would think it would be cheaper, less VAT and labour costs.

same story for Ducati, made in Thailand and cheaper in Europe 555

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Pull the trigger and get it. Report back.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nahkit said:

Found the receipt for the 500km service on my Interceptor, it was 1,830 baht. Only thing written on the receipt was "500km service".

Mine was over 4000bht in Pattaya just before the virus.

3 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:
1 hour ago, nahkit said:

Found the receipt for the 500km service on my Interceptor, it was 1,830 baht. Only thing written on the receipt was "500km service".

Mine was over 4000bht in Pattaya just before the virus.

Sounds over the top at that price but as I said, nothing much written on the receipt I got, I just assumed that he did whatever the manual recommends.

• 2 weeks later...

I also assumed that the dealer does what the manual recommends but don't be surprise if your 500kilo service was priced for the oil change and filter. I know my valves were not checked or adjusted on that service as the manual recommend. It seems that some of the services that I would expect from a dealer have to be specifically asked for on both the Himalayan and the intercepter. It's not like the valve adjustment and labor is very expensive the just don't do it unless asked at the dealer in Samut Sakhon.

In the future I will be doing all the service my self and maybe bringing the bike in once a year for full service to keep warranty valid. My experience and opinion of the Interceptor could not be higher. The bike is incredible and at the price nothing else compares.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 4:29 AM, siam dreamers said:

I also assumed that the dealer does what the manual recommends but don't be surprise if your 500kilo service was priced for the oil change and filter. I know my valves were not checked or adjusted on that service as the manual recommend. It seems that some of the services that I would expect from a dealer have to be specifically asked for on both the Himalayan and the intercepter. It's not like the valve adjustment and labor is very expensive the just don't do it unless asked at the dealer in Samut Sakhon.

In the future I will be doing all the service my self and maybe bringing the bike in once a year for full service to keep warranty valid. My experience and opinion of the Interceptor could not be higher. The bike is incredible and at the price nothing else compares.

Did you buy Insurance the dealer offered and how much? Mine was like 13,000bht.

I only have the minimum government insurance that came from the dealer. I have my own security and this is my personal choice.

On another note I did the valve adjustments yesterday on the interceptor with my 11 year old son. First we gathered up the tools for a few days and found the valve adjustment not too difficult or time consuming. We followed some videos online and had the job done in under 1 1/2 hours. the best part is my son really like to learn about the engine and maintenance. I ride every day and am very happy with my bikes.  I was wondering what other owners experience is with their Royal Enfields.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, siam dreamers said:

I only have the minimum government insurance that came from the dealer. I have my own security and this is my personal choice.

On another note I did the valve adjustments yesterday on the interceptor with my 11 year old son. First we gathered up the tools for a few days and found the valve adjustment not too difficult or time consuming. We followed some videos online and had the job done in under 1 1/2 hours. the best part is my son really like to learn about the engine and maintenance. I ride every day and am very happy with my bikes.  I was wondering what other owners experience is with their Royal Enfields.

I haven't ridden it too much but did get over the 2000 KM and am not holding back on the speeds any longer.

110-120 KPH is good for me especially if you hit a little wind. One thing it needs are some saddle bags for routine purchases. The ones at dealership are pretty small and still cost 3000 bht. I put on some AEW pipes from dealer. Like a brushed SS finish, nice little roar. I didn't notice the stock pipes but these pipes don't get deadly hot which is good for passenger as pegs sit directly over top.

• Like 1

I liked the stock pipes but had to purchase a kit from Hepco and Becker that moves the pillion footrests about three inches forward to keep my sons feet fromburning his shoes on the pipes plus the stock foot pegs seem set back to far for pillion comfort.Unknown.jpeg.22847eea4cdcb57c0b1e4b3c81beb004.jpeg 

The kit is really well bilt and did the trick but a bit expensive to get shipped here. I never thought of just lowering the pipes. 

Ialso bought up and over handle bar risers from Motone to bring the bars up an inch and back an inch. Beautiful piece of kit but like an idiot I ordered the wrong size, one inch instead on 7/8. I cant send them back so I am waiting on some quality shims to make them fit..Unknown-1.jpeg.230938aefb8ae010678c3c352640917d.jpeg

• Like 2

On 6/22/2020 at 7:16 PM, EVENKEEL said:

I haven't ridden it too much but did get over the 2000 KM and am not holding back on the speeds any longer.

110-120 KPH is good for me especially if you hit a little wind. One thing it needs are some saddle bags for routine purchases. The ones at dealership are pretty small and still cost 3000 bht. I put on some AEW pipes from dealer. Like a brushed SS finish, nice little roar. I didn't notice the stock pipes but these pipes don't get deadly hot which is good for passenger as pegs sit directly over top.

Which model of the AEW pipes did you get? I've just been watching a video where they compared the TE 101, TE 102 and TE 201. The TE 201 gave the most clearance of the 3 if your looking to fit bags but its a chrome finish so I'm thinking you must have got one of the other models.

24 minutes ago, nahkit said:

Which model of the AEW pipes did you get? I've just been watching a video where they compared the TE 101, TE 102 and TE 201. The TE 201 gave the most clearance of the 3 if your looking to fit bags but its a chrome finish so I'm thinking you must have got one of the other models.

I went with what the dealer had in stock and don't see any markings other than AEW on pipes. These cost 14 K baht, they had some AEW's  that were 10 K baht and some for 6 K baht but they were both chrome finish which I really didn't want because I figure it's cheap and will rust easier. These pipes don't get so hot that you can't touch them even after a hard ride. 

Clearance for bags wasn't one of my concerns, I'm thinking maybe to have some custom sewn to fit to go under seat and that way they can't be stolen.

• 2 months later...
23 hours ago, tracker said:

Read in the bangkokpost from 3rd of september that RE is going to open 10 more shops in Thailand AND opening a factory here (chachoengsao) somewhere between apr-jun next year. Lower prices??

They've been talking about that for 2 years.  It was supposed to happen by now.

I'd like to have a classic RE.

image.jpeg.4295ad4593d7e711a0c1abc0d061b1a7.jpeg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ashtree said:

Im going to go for Classic 500.

Kind of like traditional style ,maybe Battle green or Desert Storm.

Any reports here in thailand?

Ive seen the UK youtube reviews.

I was considering a 500 until I saw the review comments about the extreme vibrations the bike suffers from. I’ve opted for the 650 GT, bit of a cow in heavy traffic due to the dropped handlebars, but good fun on the open road.

35 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

image.jpeg.4295ad4593d7e711a0c1abc0d061b1a7.jpeg

Dang! That's the first helmet with built in airbag that I've seen. Might be even big enough to protect everyone around you as well. Wouldn't want to be caught in a stronger breeze though I guess.

On the other hand the little cushion on the boy's head will require some very specific angle during a crash to do something. Might want to upgrade that.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Dang! That's the first helmet with built in airbag that I've seen. Might be even big enough to protect everyone around you as well. Wouldn't want to be caught in a stronger breeze though I guess.

On the other hand the little cushion on the boy's head will require some very specific angle during a crash to do something. Might want to upgrade that.

I think there's a Givi top box built in there, too. 

• Haha 2

On 9/7/2020 at 1:22 PM, lemonjelly said:

I was considering a 500 until I saw the review comments about the extreme vibrations the bike suffers from. I’ve opted for the 650 GT, bit of a cow in heavy traffic due to the dropped handlebars, but good fun on the open road.

Vibrations on running in?

Reviews i read stated vibrations eased after 1000-2000 kms?

22 minutes ago, ashtree said:

Vibrations on running in?

Reviews i read stated vibrations eased after 1000-2000 kms?

Not much from what I gather. I’ve met a couple of guys that sold them on due to the discomfort. They’re notorious for vibrating to the extent that the mirrors are hardly usable. Good for dislodging kidney stones though. The Interceptor is smooth and a steal at the price.

• 2 months later...

As a Himalayan owner at. first and then switching to an Interceptor, I can attest that my Interceptor, with  10,000 kilometers on her is the sweetest bike I have ever owned. It is the perfect bike to step up to from a 125. the engine runs perfectly, the build quality is excellent and the gearbox is butter smooth. There is a reason that these bikes have excellent reviews and almost no serious problems reported. I think it is great that enfield is making new models but you will have a hard time prying this bike out of my hands unless it is an electric. even then I am sure to keep it. I love this bike and at the price it is a steal.

• Like 1