2020 Royal enfield Himalayan

I think the idea is if the service is done by 3rd party and wrongly and it damages the bike, then warranty is void..., say if put wrong oil and blow up the engine, then not covered...

But all this is hard to prove either way, so for piece of mind people go to dealers...., if sure and can prove service done right then can fight for the warranty if ever needed....! 

6 hours ago, Agusts said:

I think the idea is if the service is done by 3rd party and wrongly and it damages the bike, then warranty is void..., say if put wrong oil and blow up the engine, then not covered...

But all this is hard to prove either way, so for piece of mind people go to dealers...., if sure and can prove service done right then can fight for the warranty if ever needed....! 

I recognise that my dealers are useless, by my own standards, but they're necessary for the stamp in the warranty book.

For example, at the first service of a new bike, they put the bike on its side stand to drain the oil despite the drain plug being at the front of the engine under the spin-on filter - I put 'em right on that. When put on a paddock stand a whole of of additional oil came out. The new oil, according to the 'mechanic', was no good because it was 'black' (actually purple), not yellow like their own oil - this was correct-grade 10W50 Silkolene synthetic oil that I provided. Tappet inspection required at first service but dealer said it wasn't necessary until 5000 km - I took the bike home and did it myself and most were out of spec.

I go to the dealer for the stamp in the warranty book, despite being fully aware that they seriously scrimp on the work they actually do. Home maintenance is best for me and all dealer work is checked at home by somebody I know to be competent - ME!

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Home maintenance is best for me and all dealer work is checked at home by somebody I know to be competent - ME!

Always the best way !

When I had the 300 conversion I had them install a manual cam chain tensioner. They set it cold.

I rode the bike home, put on a leather glove, and adjusted it hot. Good to go.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Agusts said:

I have to do serving on my Honda don't know what Enfield motorcycle dealerships are like and getting the right oil for a bike isn't that difficult. ????

Most bikes you buy these days are bullet-proof not to mention names but finding a qualified motorcycle mechanic especially as they say here for big bikes is difficult in many parts of Thailand.

In 20 years only found one decent dealership who knew how to work on big bikes and knew what they were doing that was Kawasaki Nakhon Sawan.

Smaller motorcycle big bike workshops by reputation is the best places to find and go, flig the warranty.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...