COVID-19: Most foreigners in Thailand are not wearing facemasks, those that are more worried about pollution

webfact

COVID-19: Most foreigners in Thailand are not wearing facemasks, those that are more worried about pollution

fff.jpg

File photo

Contrary to official advice, most foreigners in Thailand are not wearing facemasks in order to help prevent becoming infected with COVID-19.

According to a straw poll of 3,000 foreigners carried out by Thaivisa, the overwhelming majority said they had not been wearing a facemask while in Thailand during the coronavirus outbreak.

The poll, posted on the Thaivisa Facebook page earlier this week, asked: Have you been wearing a face mask in Thailand? 

28 percent of respondents said ‘Yes’, while 72 percent said ‘No’ - they hadn’t been wearing a mask.

Numerous people commenting who had been wearing a facemask said they did so due to the pollution and air quality in Thailand, not because of COVID-19.

“YES. But because of the filthy air, not the virus”, Facebook user Tim Ward commented. 

“I almost always wear one in Bangkok anyway because of the air pollution, virus or no virus”, wrote Alan John.

“I wear a face-mask as much for the polluted air, as corona!”, said Tony Lash.

“I wear a mask on planes and buses or places that are crowded which isn’t many at the moment. I think good hand hygiene is the key to staying safe”, Lee Henbery said. 

“I wear a mask because living in Chiang Mai air quality is really bad here right now”, add Peter Parker

One Facebook user said wearing a facemask in public can help to give others peace of mind.

“Not all the time [wearing a facemask], but in public areas with many people about, it makes them feel safe and happier to serve you”, Noel Cross wrote.

There has been a lot of conflicting advice both in Thailand and elsewhere not only regarding the effectiveness of wearing a facemask in order to reduce risk of infection from COVID-19 but also when to wear a facemask.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) says it is only necessary to wear a facemask if you are looking after someone infected with COVID-19 or if you yourself are sick. 

WHO says that ensuring your hands are kept clean either with soap and water or by using an alcohol based hand gel should be the priority. 

In Thailand, the situation regarding wearing a facemask is equally confusing with advice seeming to differ depending on which government department’s website you happen to be reading. 

While officials have been busy handing out free facemasks nationwide, information posted on the Ministry of Public Health website on 5 March states that only those who show symptoms for COVID-19 should wear a mask. The MOPH also says that people should “wear masks while coughing, sneezing”.

However, recommendations posted on the Tourism Authority website on 3 March asks foreigners in Thailand to “kindly wear a hygienic mask during travel”.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-06
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Currently I don't wear a face mask, but I have become very obsessive with hand washing. 

Hand washing only works if you don't touch a contaminated surface afterwards. A step further is using the thin latex gloves surgeons wear.

I go out with said gloves, and discard them when I get back to my condo.

Masks are more useful in preventing infected people from transferring the virus to others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

According to a straw poll of 3,000 foreigners carried out by Thaivisa, the overwhelming majority said they had not been wearing a facemask while in Thailand during the coronavirus outbreak.

First - the cheap face masks offer little to zero protection against convid 19 infection

Second - since there have been less than 50 cases in Thailand and only 13 remaining that being treated - where is the threat, according the Health Minister the are no other cases and there has been little to no information to say otherwise

This is why it is so important to keep people truthfully informed about what is going on and where

Edited by smedly
  • Like 2

Didn't WHO say that it is not necessary to wear a mask unless you are sick or have contact with sick people like nurses and doctors. this craze with masks doesn't make any sense. Wearing them for pollution is another story.

52 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

Thais will never get the idea that masks are useless against this virus

Nobody will when there are misleading articles like this!

Beware - the face mask Police :shock1:

1 hour ago, webfact said:

One Facebook user said wearing a facemask in public can help to give others peace of mind.

Sadly, most of the people that would be disturbed do not understand that the paper masks are a waste of time. They probably don't even stop pollution either.

The only reason to wear them far as I'm concerned is if I have a cold and don't want to sneeze or cough over other people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

This virus is not airborne,  PM2.5 polution is airborne

Depending on what you mean by "airborne," of course CV can be airborne, from the tiny droplets that circulate in the air when someone infected with the virus sneezes, coughs etc.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sattahip said:

I am of the view that Thailand has no idea of the numbers of infected, dead and recovered. 

or they don't want to know, what they don't know they don't have to tell

Pity Thai people in general do what they are told when it comes to social media especially when threatened with arrest and jail

• Like 1

I just read a story about a doctor at Chula asking people not to wear the masks if they feel fine and leave them for medical professionals, etc. 

I don’t wear a mask: they’re hard to find and I also wanna leave them for people who need them. I keep clean. I try not to touch things and I wash my hands often. We should be preaching personal hygiene. 

Edited by rkidlad
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Rubbish... There's a reason every medical personnel dealing with actual or suspected CV  is going to be wearing an N95 mask and various other PPE, because they ARE effective.... IF the person wearing the mask handles it properly and in accord with hygiene protocols.

The medical establishment seems to believe that hospital staff can be taught how to properly wear and handle the masks, but somehow the public is too ignorant to learn and follow those same techniques.

But more to the point, there's a tremendous worldwide supply shortage right now for N95 and other masks precisely because so many are needed for medical workers.  So if the medical establishment started recommending the public wear them as well, that would only exacerbate the already severe shortages of masks that hospitals and others are experiencing.

The WHO and the U.S. government are going to be buying many hundreds of millions of N95 masks now and in the weeks/months ahead to provide to medical workers, precisely because they DO work if handled properly. Thus in this case, I'm paying more attention to what they are doing vs what they are saying in regards to the general public.

good post but I don't think we are talking about N95 masks here - I would agree they are effective if used properly