Thai Consulate in Laos said Wife must come with you now???

The Thai consulate in Savannakhet, Laos just told me my wife must come with me to the consulate. For my Non-O visa.

In the past I have never tooking my wife before, so is this something new?

1 hour ago, zhounan said:

Don't let me worry, I have to go to Savannakhet on Monday and this time my wife won't be able to come with me.

There are are not open on this Monday, Laos holiday.

Take a letter from your wife asking them to issue you a visa. Explain that it was not feasible for your wife to make the trip at this time, giving an appropriate reason (she must work, take care of kids or whatever). I doubt having the wife present is a non negotiable condition for issuing the visa.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Take a letter from your wife asking them to issue you a visa. Explain that it was not feasible for your wife to make the trip at this time, giving an appropriate reason (she must work, take care of kids or whatever). I doubt having the wife present is a non negotiable condition for issuing the visa.

Hope so!

On 3/6/2020 at 4:13 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Had to bring your wife before too.

Never been a requirement previously. 

I did mine in December and nothing was mentioned about my wife being there when I submitted my application. 

24 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

NO You Did NOT !!

His humour went straight over your head.

On 3/6/2020 at 4:13 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Had to bring your wife before too.

Best thing is to take the essentials and a few extra Baht. Simply engage the services of an agent from the street, that looks the part, and be back in Thailand same day. Vientiane the same.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

So Joe,Is it STILL The Same I Have to go Next Month.....& Also Do I Need to have a COPY Of My Laos Entry Visa & Stamp...??

No changes as as far as I know.

No copy of your visa on arrival and entry stamp is needed.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, owl sees all said:

His humour went straight over your head.

Best thing is to take the essentials and a few extra Baht. Simply engage the services of an agent from the street, that looks the part, and be back in Thailand same day. Vientiane the same.

Its not done in one day at Savanakhet .You give in your application on morning of day one .You collect on afternoon of day two .No agent required .

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, anto said:

Its not done in one day at Savanakhet .You give in your application on morning of day one .You collect on afternoon of day two .No agent required .

You could be right there. Only going by gossip. Never actually done it personally.

In Vientiane you can turn up before 12, engage an agent, and collect at 3-30. Everywhere at the embassy there are notices saying that the alien cannot obtain visa on the same day. Of course it can be done; it is Thailand after all. I, and others I know, have done it.

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2020 at 4:36 PM, ubonjoe said:

It has never been required at Savannakhet.

I've never heard about that. The original marriage certificate, yes.

Who knows what they see in the computers? Perhaps somebody had some doubts if the marriage was real.

Until know it's not a requirement to have your wife with you. 

Did the OP do something to pis_ them off? Or wore the wrong/dirty clothes? Rastafari dreadlocks never washed for a while, etc...?

Then it could be a made up reason to not issue a visa/extension of stay,but not a requirement for all who are applying for one in the near future. 

Please never forget, issuing a visa, or an extension is not a must. It's can. And finally up to the person who takes the application form.

I've heard that people in Savannakhet were sent out by a woman when they were too loud, or dressed inappropriately. 

19 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

You could be right there. Only going by gossip. Never actually done it personally.

In Vientiane you can turn up before 12, engage an agent, and collect at 3-30. Everywhere at the embassy there are notices saying that the alien cannot obtain visa on the same day. Of course it can be done; it is Thailand after all. I, and others I know, have done it.

As the old saying goes. " Money makes the World Turn Around."

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No changes as as far as I know.

No copy of your visa on arrival and entry stamp is needed.

Hi Joe, appreciate all the good advise you give on this site. Just wanted to point out that indeed they sometimes ask for the visa on arrival and entry stamp, when I got to the window they asked for it and I had to run across the road to photocopy then rejoin the queue so it's probably worth doing it an advance just to avoid the potential hassle, especially if it was a busy day. See post number 6 on this thread.

8 hours ago, tdm said:

Hi Joe, appreciate all the good advise you give on this site. Just wanted to point out that indeed they sometimes ask for the visa on arrival and entry stamp, when I got to the window they asked for it and I had to run across the road to photocopy then rejoin the queue so it's probably worth doing it an advance just to avoid the potential hassle, especially if it was a busy day. See post number 6 on this thread.

It is not possible to recall every post about it. Maybe they had a reason for asking you for it.

I have read reports of the copy place across the street saying it was needed but then people didn't need it.

5 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

So what was the outcome? Did you send for your wife? Did they give you the visa regardless? Advised you next time to bring wife?

Read it again.

Just a poor attempt at humour

Given the other thread on this, I would suggest taking a new copy of the Kor Ror 2 - the one you can get for around 20 Baht from any amphur - and have the wife co-sign it.  That should erase any doubt as to whether you are still married.  Also any name-change documents (if relevant).  The letter from your wife, as someone above suggested is also a good idea; this is required when applying in Vietnam Thai Consulates. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Nigel Sri Thanonchai said:

Ubonjoe you removed my comment regarding the reason for this

You posted no supporting info for what you posted and it was removed for that reason. You need t0 state the source of such info.

I would question where you got the info about the number of rejections at the consulate you mentioned.

• Like 2