Songkran in Pattaya CANCELLED - only religious activities permitted

Jonathan Fairfield

I can imagine they will stop the big pickup trucks that drive around with powered water cannons, or stake bed trucks and stuff like that.  And maybe many bars will not put out water barrels.  Will have to see how much the foot traffic of the local or farang population actually does

• Like 1

9 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

What a nasty comment

Can't blame them. There are a lot of morose fuddy-duddy's down on the Thais enjoying their new year. I'm not one for the if-you-don't-like-it line, but folk opted to go there.

Songkran is a blast.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, impulse said:

Every year, I used to cut back on my rice consumption and ordered single meat Whoppers instead of the double meaters, just to free up some precious water resources for my neighbor kids to play to their hearts' content.  With rice taking 2500 liters per kg to raise, and beef about 4x that per kg, I figured half the kids in my Asoke neighborhood were clear to throw all the water they could, just on the water I saved on a few bowls of rice and a couple of Whoppers. 

I gave up chocolate, not that I ate much maybe 750gm a year at most but at 17,000lt of water required per KG to make I feel Iam doing my part for the drought.

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Do we now have certain "permissions" to respond to unwanted and now banned watery physical assaults? 

yeah - be great to see someones face, when they see you fire back at them, with a bumgun 

been visualising where the Fireys get their cannon water from?

- FireDept FirePlug water most likely wouldn't be 'potable' mouth friendly.

If it (was) 'for human consumption' - it would be forever being pilfered, by all and sundry... 

3 minutes ago, tifino said:

yeah - be great to see someones face, when they see you fire back at them, with a bumgun 

Does your bum gun have a really long hose or would you invite them into your toilet to spray them in the face ?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:
5 minutes ago, tifino said:

Does your bum gun have a really long hose or would you invite them into your toilet to spray them in the face ?

it is the spur of the moment face reaction that counts ???? 

and what they cannot see (behind you) 20L Pressure Backpack Water Sprayer Garden Pump Chemical Spray Weeds Killer Blue cannot hurt them

14 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Sanity? Here? I welcome this news though I never thought I would be reading it. Maybe I won't have to make my annual ten day trip to anywhere, to get away from it.

Thats just Pattaya now they have to address the WHOLE country.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, legend49 said:

Thats just Pattaya now they have to address the WHOLE country.

Thats certainly a possibilty given there is already a few other places also cancelling festivities.

Khon Kaen

Bang Saen

Phetchabun

Buriram

Phuket

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

The Authorities made have announced that Songkran is cancelled, but all they need to do now is ACTUALLY stop the Thais doing exactly as they please, and carrying on anyway.

Easier said than done.

well said....they take no notice of any laws, so what WILL THEY DO ABOUT THIS and who is going to enforce ???

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, essox essox said:

well said....they take no notice of any laws, so what WILL THEY DO ABOUT THIS and who is going to enforce ???

What are the poor policemen going to do without there side supply of cash Songkran supplies. Ban on high power PVC Pipes and the police are going to confiscate any they see. Ha Ha. saw this many times, confiscate water cannon off mostly Farang, drive down street or next soi and sell to someone else. Cash grab for them for at least a week. 

1 hour ago, ross163103 said:

A side benefit; hopefully this will help the drought problem. In my 27 years here I've never seen Mabprachan reservoir as low as it is now.

It gets low every year, I reckon it was lower in 2015 than it is today.

14 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Not trying to be a smart ar se, but strangely the Thai word for war is sometimes roughly translated as Songkhram, in English, appropriate in a way, since it is after all, water wars.

Trying to be a smart <deleted>, kram and gran are totally unlinked and pronounced differently.

So throwing water at someone is banned yet buying a poor prostitute from a gogo bar is allowed? Maybe they'll tell all the sex pests to wear masks.

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, BestB said:

As an individual I say thank god for that , as a business owner I say f%###ing hell.

hate this time of the year but as a business owner, was looking forward to having more customers

I've noticed that over recent years a good percentage of revellers has been the Chinese who love songkran, some of the biggest dicks too. It would have probably been a muted affair even if it had gone ahead.

As a business owner you will know that this virus is preventing farangs from visiting too.

16 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The cancellation of the events is the latest hammer blow to Thailand’s ailing tourism industry left decimated following the outbreak of the coronavirus.

Going to be tough start to the year for many people, businesses & vendors are going to have it rough for a few months yet!