Driver's License Procedures Chiang Mai - 2020

Slightly off topic, but can anyone fill me in on the procedure for getting an International DL?  At present only a long expired US license and never had a Thai license.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just opened a thread on that in the Motor forum. https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1162668-driving-license-renewalextension-restarts-from-may-7-2020  

Today arrived at Handong DLT for 5 yr licience renewal @ 7.45 am  .by 10 .15 am colour blind test. one hour video and paper work processed @ 11.45 am Boss Lady came out. and said come b

Current feedback and information on Driving licence application and renewal.   Link to previous topic for reference/info    

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Greenside said:

Slightly off topic, but can anyone fill me in on the procedure for getting an International DL?  At present only a long expired US license and never had a Thai license.

To get an International Driver Permit (no such thing as a international licence) you will need to have a 5 year Thai licence, you get the 5 year licence after you have had your 2 year temporary licence.

International Permit may not be required.  Can rent cars and drive legally with a Thai license, 2 or 5 year, in US, technically you need to have Passport with you too.

• 2 weeks later...

visited driver license center last week to renew my 5 year license.

expired on June 9. no problem. given appointment for June 23.

no medical required. eye test. 1 hour class. bring my condo book for residency. money. wait.

I went there yesterday (17/06/20) for renewing my GF's driving license and I asked info about how to renew my 5 years license which I have to renew before March the 6th.
What a pain! They absolutely wanted to see my passport to give me info and told me I cannot have a driving license if I don't have the proper visa while my 5 years driving license was in their hands all along. Like they did not believe I had a working visa...

Finally they gave me a paper with some info (which I attached).
Medical certificate is mandatory, they told me that my work permit could not replace a certificate of residency, it's crossed out on the paper. The site of the Department of land and transport specifies that the work permit is fine. However, I am pretty sure that the Chiang Mai office does not care about that. They must have friends waiting for my 500 baht at the certificate of residency office...

info.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 6:33 PM, chongtak said:

They must have friends waiting for my 500 baht at the certificate of residency office...

May I ask about your experience with the certificate of residence?  Last time we got one we weren't in a hurry so waited a full 6 weeks (we were given the date and time for picking it up when we submitted the form), do you know how many weeks you have to wait without paying the bribe fee?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2020 at 7:01 PM, Konini said:

May I ask about your experience with the certificate of residence?  Last time we got one we weren't in a hurry so waited a full 6 weeks (we were given the date and time for picking it up when we submitted the form), do you know how many weeks you have to wait without paying the bribe fee?

20 days seems standard these days.

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, CMMCB said:

20 days seems standard these days.

Mr K went in last week as he was in the area to get a date for the driver licence renewal.  He asked how long for the option where it is no overnight.  No option, 500 baht.  He said I don't want to hurry, I will wait like last time but was told they are not free any more, must pay.  If I'd been with him I would have insisted on asking a supervisor, but he didn't want to have a black mark against his name in case of difficulties in the future.  This was on the 2nd or 3rd floor, whichever it is you go to.  He probably will sneak there without telling me because he knows without asking that I will demand an official receipt before handing money over.  His way is easier, my way is the reason I sleep easy at night.  13 years living in SEA, 10 of those being in Chiang Mai and I still have not knowingly paid one single penny to an official that wasn't legally payable complete with receipt.

For anyone interested, the wait for an appointment for driver licence renewal is now 3 weeks (up from the 2 weeks I had seen reported a few days before he went).

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 1:00 PM, Konini said:

Mr K went in last week as he was in the area to get a date for the driver licence renewal.  He asked how long for the option where it is no overnight.  No option, 500 baht.  He said I don't want to hurry, I will wait like last time but was told they are not free any more, must pay. 

Amazing the difference day to day, isn't it? A young intern lady just offered me 20-days free or next day 500 around the same time. Picked it up 20 days later. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, CMMCB said:

Amazing the difference day to day, isn't it? A young intern lady just offered me 20-days free or next day 500 around the same time. Picked it up 20 days later. 

It's so annoying.  At least if they were consistent it would be better, even if it is illegal.  Probably just a different intern, or maybe the same one and as you said, the difference day to day.  He tried insisting on the free one, she flatly told him no free ones any more.  Ker ching!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 9:05 AM, deej said:

DLT is resuming License Renewals from May 7.

An appointment has to be booked through

DLT  Smart Queue Application

New drivers licience services that require training Etc Etc

remain suspended

Tried the Smart Q this morning, would not accept passport number requires  Thai national ID number,13 characters.

Went in person with all my documentation to renew my 5 year licence renewal, now expired, 3 weeks ago. All was approved, Given appointment this coming Friday to do the colour blind test and watch the amazing video "How to drive in Thailand" and hopefully a new licence which will now be effective for 6 yrs

15 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Went in person with all my documentation to renew my 5 year licence renewal, now expired, 3 weeks ago. All was approved, Given appointment this coming Friday to do the colour blind test and watch the amazing video "How to drive in Thailand" and hopefully a new licence which will now be effective for 6 yrs

Thanks, any particular time?

On 8/20/2020 at 6:46 AM, Thailand said:

Thanks, any particular time?

Went in today with docs about 9.15a.m. Information desk second floor. About 10 minutes queuing to get to desk. Docs checked,Yellow book acceptable for residency ,still!

Appointment for 1st September for "how to drive in Thailand" video etc. Wonder if it has changed from the last 2 I have seen. 😀