BANGKOK
deej

Driver's License Procedures Chiang Mai - 2020

Slightly off topic, but can anyone fill me in on the procedure for getting an International DL?  At present only a long expired US license and never had a Thai license.

4 minutes ago, Greenside said:

Slightly off topic, but can anyone fill me in on the procedure for getting an International DL?  At present only a long expired US license and never had a Thai license.

To get an International Driver Permit (no such thing as a international licence) you will need to have a 5 year Thai licence, you get the 5 year licence after you have had your 2 year temporary licence.

Many thanks for that.  I thought it wouldn't be straightforward :-)

International Permit may not be required.  Can rent cars and drive legally with a Thai license, 2 or 5 year, in US, technically you need to have Passport with you too.

visited driver license center last week to renew my 5 year license.

expired on June 9. no problem. given appointment for June 23.

no medical required. eye test. 1 hour class. bring my condo book for residency. money. wait.

I went there yesterday (17/06/20) for renewing my GF's driving license and I asked info about how to renew my 5 years license which I have to renew before March the 6th.
What a pain! They absolutely wanted to see my passport to give me info and told me I cannot have a driving license if I don't have the proper visa while my 5 years driving license was in their hands all along. Like they did not believe I had a working visa...

Finally they gave me a paper with some info (which I attached).
Medical certificate is mandatory, they told me that my work permit could not replace a certificate of residency, it's crossed out on the paper. The site of the Department of land and transport specifies that the work permit is fine. However, I am pretty sure that the Chiang Mai office does not care about that. They must have friends waiting for my 500 baht at the certificate of residency office...

info.jpg

On 6/18/2020 at 6:33 PM, chongtak said:

They must have friends waiting for my 500 baht at the certificate of residency office...

May I ask about your experience with the certificate of residence?  Last time we got one we weren't in a hurry so waited a full 6 weeks (we were given the date and time for picking it up when we submitted the form), do you know how many weeks you have to wait without paying the bribe fee?