BANGKOK
deej

Driver's License Procedures Chiang Mai - 2020

On 8/20/2020 at 6:46 AM, Thailand said:

Thanks, any particular time?

Apologies for late reply.The time I was told to be there was 12.30pm at the small office I went to originally, some 200 m away from the main building,that was not operating and I was directed to the main building,2nd floor.It was 1 pm when 20 of us were ushered into the colour blind area where stout woman with a stick pointed at us and said independently "YOU stand here" The test was different than last time 5 + yrs ago which was larger boards, now smaller version, mass of small coloured dots which she points to with her stick.

We all passed and then to the video room packed in like sardines which a pleasant lady apologised for. 40 mins ,an updated, more professional video but very repetitive.Then to the counter until number called,paid the 505 baht, then to have photo taken and the apparently compulsory 10 baht plastic cover.Was out by around 2.30pm with a licence which will carry me through ,if I don't fall of the perch, for another 5 years and 11 months. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 3:40 PM, Thailand said:

Went in today with docs about 9.15a.m. Information desk second floor. About 10 minutes queuing to get to desk. Docs checked,Yellow book acceptable for residency ,still!

Appointment for 1st September for "how to drive in Thailand" video etc. Wonder if it has changed from the last 2 I have seen. 😀

They are obviously catching up with the backlog of applicants judging by your appointment date,it was  a month a few weeks back. Love that Yellow Book😀 

• Like 1

Quick and efficient although the video is second rate, apart from other incorrect information they quote 75,000 accidents and 8000 deaths. I believe year date over 600,000 injured and 10,000 dead.

Anyway, just a couple of weeks short of 6 years before next renewal.

Edited by Thailand

Just in the time of the 'amnesty' and expired visa I have to renew my license this month. Five years has already passed.

Now I am not sure about the situation, if the amnesty will be extended or that I would get another 30 days at the immigration office.

In case that they wouldn't give me a new DL next week with the reason that I don't have a 'valid' non - x visa and also that I have to leave the country before the 26th.

How long is the period that I can come back at the DLT and renew my DL which will expire this month.

No problem on 3 September.  Two-year initial license to five-year renewal.  No video viewing necessary for foreigners. Took about an hour.  No crowd.

I like the card size plastic covers they charge you 10 Baht for. They nicely fit some paper/cardboard and other cards that I like to keep protected. Nice and thin and unobtrusive for carrying in my wallet. Last time I renewed my license the lady agreed to sell me 10 extra covers for 100 Baht. I still have a few I haven't used. If I run out before my next renewal I may have to accidentally lose my license.

Not sure why some people have to watch the video and some don't. I was renewing 5 year to 5 year licenses both car and motorcycle.
i tried to make an appt but they wouldn't give me one til I had my Cert of Residency so I paid 500 baht for that. Went back to LTO and was given a driver's license appt for the next day.  Sat thru the silly video with others doing a 5-5 renewal. I had a book to read. then a pretty long wait to pay. The whole process took a few minutes less than 2 hours.
Since I've only been pulled over once in the last 3 years, it probably would have been more time and cost effective to just get ticketed for not having a license a few times.

Has anybody recently phone Chaing mai driving license  office the number on Google search does not seem to be working and E-Mails dot not get accepted.   

Getting papers ready for a conversion/renewal; Two year to a five year. 

Question; I need a certificate of residence from Immigration. What kind of picture do I need - white background - blue background? Any shops people recommend around CM ?

Thanks

17 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Getting papers ready for a conversion/renewal; Two year to a five year. 

Question; I need a certificate of residence from Immigration. What kind of picture do I need - white background - blue background? Any shops people recommend around CM ?

Thanks

if you're paying the 500 baht fee for the Cert of Residency, they're not fussy about the photo. Mine had a blue background but was obviously very old. My photos were taken at the photo shop in the basement of KSK. They've been gone for years.

• Like 1