Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Driver's License Procedures Chiang Mai - 2020


Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, el jefe said:

I'm red-green color blind. Five years ago when I went to RAM for my health certificate they used a real color blindness test -- pick out the number inside 100 colored dots. I couldn't do that. I just told the doctor "red is always on top" and she closed the book and said "OK".
The test at the driver's license office is a little easier. I was able to make out the difference in colors in the individual circles. The yellows were easy. the other two I had to think about. I was definitely the slowest of the 8 people taking the test. You should be OK too.

 

is that the office in Chiang mai ? normally i only did the test with the trafic light

Edited by BKK8
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today arrived at Handong DLT for 5 yr licience renewal @ 7.45 am  .by 10 .15 am colour blind test. one hour video and paper work processed @ 11.45 am Boss Lady came out. and said come b

Hey all,   Update on the situation   Finally got my 5 year DL renewed. My visa is multi entry and i was already on a covid extension so when i went for a residency certificate they

To find out if it was possible and the required procedure, two weeks ago I went out to Mae Hia and asked. I was given a list of required documents. See at bottom. As immigration either aren't iss

Posted Images

1 hour ago, BKK8 said:

going to get a residence certificate at Immigration Airport soon. Do i need to bring my rental contract and/or tm 30 or is rental contract only also ok  ?

You must have the TM 30. That has your address so there is no need for the rental contract. The reverse won't work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2020 at 4:10 PM, worgeordie said:

I went up there today,to make an appointment for December,

the lady at the window talked me into doing it now,so I agreed,

who knows what the future holds,so i had copies of pages of my

passport,yellow book, that's all, never asked for medical certificate,

never had one anyway.

So if doing a 5 year,5 years extension I would say you DON'T need 

a medical certificate, paid 505 Thb for licence ,105 Thb a year for

excitement and dangers of Thai roads.....a bargain.

regards worgeordie

 

 

I need to do a 5 year to 5 year extension for my car and my 125cc motorcycle drivers licenses before March 2021. 
With all the Covid restrictions lately, what is the over-all process for renewal.

What do I need to take?  What am I going to need to do this time around that might have been different 5 years ago.  Just wondering. 
FYI, I have a Yellow Book to show residency.

Edited by connda
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Connda, It's just the same procedure ,old licenses,yellow book,passport and money for the fee.

the Farangs are taken to a small room to watch a video of how you should drive while in Thailand,

takes about an hour,then you do the colour test, take your photo ,then wait to collect your license .

good luck

regards worgeordie,        P.S. I was never asked for health certificate.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Hi Connda, It's just the same procedure ,old licenses,yellow book,passport and money for the fee.

the Farangs are taken to a small room to watch a video of how you should drive while in Thailand,

takes about an hour,then you do the colour test, take your photo ,then wait to collect your license .

good luck

regards worgeordie,        P.S. I was never asked for health certificate.

Great!  Thanks much!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Requirements if you hold a valid US license:

- 1 set of documents for each license you're seeking

- original US license and a copy of front and back

- original passport and a copy of ID page, entry stamp page and visa page

- Residence certificate (they will keep your original)

- medical certificate within 30 days

 

I'm a new Thailand resident as of September.  Went to CM Immigration to register my address and get 2 Residence Certificates for opening bank account and Driver's License.  Paid the 500B for next day service.

 

I went to Klaimar Hospital clinic for my medical certificate.  It's conveniently close to Hang Dong DLT.  No waiting, so done in 20 minutes for 200B.  They checked my weight and blood pressure and asked if any recent surgeries.  Last step was a 5 minute visit with the MD (I presume).  He listened to my chest with stethoscope and advised me to drink 3 liters of water a day.  He mentioned my slightly high blood pressure and asked about medications.

 

I arrived at Hang Dong DLT about 5 minutes before noon.  I went upstairs to the driving license section and waited in line for about 10 minutes.  I handed the young lady my passport, Residence Certificate and US license and told her I wanted motorcycle and car licenses.  She told me to fill out 2 application forms, and attach to each a copy of passport ID page, entry stamp page and Visa page, and copies of US license front and back, and a copy of Residence Certificate and a copy of medical certificate.  We compiled the copies into a package for each license type and hand them in to window 27.  Copies available on 2nd floor @3B each.

 

Soon another young lady finished what was occupying her and picked up my papers at window 27, checked them over, stapled them into 2 packages and handed them back to me.  She told me to return the next day at 9:30 to watch the video, take my color vision and take pictures.  She also attached a note saying that I should dress appropriately (long pants) for the next day.

 

The next day went exactly as indicated.  45 minute video during which I learned nothing except what punishments would be due for various violations, but at least there was an attractive Asian female speaking perfect English in the video.  A very short color blindness test where the lady pointed to a dot on the wall chart and I had to answer with the correct color.  I then waited about 10 minutes to get picture taken and maybe 5 minutes for my licenses to pop out of the printer.  I had to pay 310B in fees and then out the door.

 

Less than 3 hours total over the two days.  A better result than just about any transaction at my state's DMV.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Question for the experts:

Renewing 2 year license to a 5 year license at Hangdong DLT
1. Is a medical certificate one of the papers needed?
2. Are they open in the afternoon to do this?
3. Is is mandatory (or wise) to make a prior appointment? If so, can this be done by phone?

Edited by Fromas
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fromas said:

Question for the experts:

Renewing 2 year license to a 5 year license at Hangdong DLT
1. Is a medical certificate one of the papers needed?
2. Are they open in the afternoon to do this?
3. Is is mandatory (or wise) to make a prior appointment? If so, can this be done by phone?

1. For 2-5 year renewal, a medical certificate is necessary.

2. I think so. They processed my 5-5 in the afternoon.

3. It was mandatory to have an appointment and they would not make one until they saw that I had all of the paperwork. I don't believe it is possible over the phone. However, there are recent reports of people doing 2-5 by just walking in and getting it done same day. That was probably the most important part of your questions. Sorry. I hope someone else can provide a better answer.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

here's a minor update. My wife went this week to renew a 5-5 license.
She picked up her Certificate of Residence at the airport Immigration at 11:30 and went straight to LTO. she had all of her paperwork and they gave her a same day appt for 1:00pm. She went for lunch and was done by 2:30pm.

I don't think this has been mentioned before but it's an important time saver. the mandatory video for a 5-5 renewal doe NOT have a test afterwards. Feel free to bring a book.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anybody here know whether we are allowed to change our passport number on our driving license since I recently got a new passport?

 

What are the documents required to change it?

 

It's still a few more years before my license expire but I need to show it instead of my passport when withdrawing money from my bank accounts.

 

Edited by EricTh
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Does anybody here know whether we are allowed to change our passport number on our driving license since I recently got a new passport?

 

What are the documents required to change it?

 

It's still a few more years before my license expire but I need to show it instead of my passport when withdrawing money from my bank accounts.

 

Interesting.....   Bangkok Bank wouldn't let me use my driving license to withdraw money from my account and insisted that I must bring my passport (which is risky carrying it about).

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stament said:

Interesting.....   Bangkok Bank wouldn't let me use my driving license to withdraw money from my account and insisted that I must bring my passport (which is risky carrying it about).

 

It is risky and bulky to bring around.

 

Not all branches allow, only certain branches. I suggest you go to your home branch or friendly branch.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, EricTh said:

 

It is risky and bulky to bring around.

 

Not all branches allow, only certain branches. I suggest you go to your home branch or friendly branch.

 

Thanks, do you know a friendly branch as my home branch doesn't allow it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, elektrified said:

Is there a grace period? My 5 year license expires this Sunday. Thanks.

You have several months (3 or 6) though I'm sure the police will demand a fine if you are stopped at a license checkpoint.
It's best to wait until after it expires anyway since you will get an extra year that way. If you do it this wek it will expire on Dec 20, 2025. If you wait until at least Monday to do it, your new  license won't expire until Dec 20 2026.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my five year Car and Bike licence today at Chok Chai- Korat DLT.

Procured a RC from Korat IM office two weeks ago after a one week wait, no charge, today got a medical cert from my local clinic, 60 baht.

Entered DLT at 0900 with paper work in duplicate did the colour and reaction test paid maybe 740 baht, photo and out the door by 1050. Easy.

The office was busy but not a problem.

This was a five year licence following the two year initial licence. The two year licence expires 18/12/ 2020. My D.O.B is 26/11 and the new expirey date is 26/11/ 2026. Yes almost six years.

 

Like every thing else to do with the Govt, each office can be different and so far I have had little conflict with the Korat officials.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, el jefe said:

You have several months (3 or 6) though I'm sure the police will demand a fine if you are stopped at a license checkpoint.
It's best to wait until after it expires anyway since you will get an extra year that way. If you do it this wek it will expire on Dec 20, 2025. If you wait until at least Monday to do it, your new  license won't expire until Dec 20 2026.

Many thanks for that. I'm glad I asked because the wife was nagging me to go on Friday! I would have lost a year!

 

Do you know if this document requirement is up to date?

 

1. Medical certificate

2. Resident certificate purchased at Airport Immigration Office (500 baht)

3. Passport and copy of picture and particulars page

4. Expired license

5. 500 odd baht fee

 

Thanks again for your help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Many thanks for that. I'm glad I asked because the wife was nagging me to go on Friday! I would have lost a year!

 

Do you know if this document requirement is up to date?

 

1. Medical certificate

2. Resident certificate purchased at Airport Immigration Office (500 baht)

3. Passport and copy of picture and particulars page

4. Expired license

5. 500 odd baht fee

 

Thanks again for your help.

That list is correct except for #1.
The medical certificate is not needed for a 5-5 renewal. If it's a 2-5 renewal it probably is.
Also, there should be a #6 -- something to read during the 45 minute video. There is no test afterwards.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, sherwood said:

Got my five year Car and Bike licence today at Chok Chai- Korat DLT.

Procured a RC from Korat IM office two weeks ago after a one week wait, no charge, today got a medical cert from my local clinic, 60 baht.

Entered DLT at 0900 with paper work in duplicate did the colour and reaction test paid maybe 740 baht, photo and out the door by 1050. Easy.

The office was busy but not a problem.

This was a five year licence following the two year initial licence. The two year licence expires 18/12/ 2020. My D.O.B is 26/11 and the new expirey date is 26/11/ 2026. Yes almost six years.

 

Like every thing else to do with the Govt, each office can be different and so far I have had little conflict with the Korat officials.

Is that because they count 5 birthdays not 5 years? Likewise would someone get less than 5 years if they renewed before their birthday? Sounds a bit odd.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, el jefe said:

You have several months (3 or 6) though I'm sure the police will demand a fine if you are stopped at a license checkpoint.
It's best to wait until after it expires anyway since you will get an extra year that way. If you do it this wek it will expire on Dec 20, 2025. If you wait until at least Monday to do it, your new  license won't expire until Dec 20 2026.

How does their logic work? Seems odd.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, stament said:

How does their logic work? Seems odd.

The license expires on your 5th birthday after you renew. Think of it as a 6 year license but there is a penalty for renewing early. Either way, there is logic and illogic but that's just the way it is. If you read thru this whole thread at least it has been consistently applied for many years.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, el jefe said:

The license expires on your 5th birthday after you renew. Think of it as a 6 year license but there is a penalty for renewing early. Either way, there is logic and illogic but that's just the way it is. If you read thru this whole thread at least it has been consistently applied for many years.

Thanks, so if you renew in Feb 2021 and your birthday is Aug 2021 then the license will expire in August 2025 (on the 5th birthday) which is before 5 years have expired which would be Feb 2026, so in this instance am I right in saying it would be less than 5 years in such an instance?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told I needed a medical certificate for 5 year renewal at CM when making appointment in September.

And yes, applied two weeks after expiry got nearly 6 years.

 

Others have reported not required.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

So I had planned to get my license which expired on 20/12 renewed this coming week.

 

My wife says she heard or read that no licenses can be applied for now until further notice due to COVID-19. Is there any truth to that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, hml367 said:

I looked 3 January, 2021, at about 6 p.m.....   it said it was closed in March, 2020,  until further notice.

กรมการขนส่งทางบก | Department of Land Transport (dlt.go.th)

image.thumb.png.137597745f0cc69fe8d989134185e5a0.png

 Based on all the reports of people successfully getting their renewals, that is obviously no longer true. I can't tell you what happened today though and it could change from day to day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...