Driver's License Procedures Chiang Mai - 2020

deej

Right, since I'm still the last poster to post here, here's an update.

Yes, if you're using a Yellow Book, you need a pink ID card.

Apparently, if you have applied for one lately (yellow book), you should've been given a pink ID by default. My yellow book is about 8 years old.

Ostentatiously.... There are lots of fake yellow books in circulation! Dunno but that's what's she said.

Anyway, I had the day off and my better half had flexible hours so, rather than going to Lamphun like I thought I would, I decided to go see if I can get a pink card.

Cheers!

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Renew 5 year license ......

Do I need a medical certificate?

Can I just walk in for a DL renewal?

I already have immigration CofR and my online test.

Not sure about CM as I have always gotten mine in Lamphun (less queue). Doing mine last year (Nov, I believe) there was a MC requirement. I got one easily there at CM Ram (newer location which is within walking distance of the older Ram hospital).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

Not sure about CM as I have always gotten mine in Lamphun (less queue). Doing mine last year (Nov, I believe) there was a MC requirement. I got one easily there at CM Ram (newer location which is within walking distance of the older Ram hospital).

Went there, appointment for 14th with medical.

No walk ins.

• 2 weeks later...

I slipped up and have discovered that my UK drivers license has just expired. I would now like to get a Thai drivers license for both my car and bike.

Will they treat me like I have never had a car license and make me do a driving and written test?

Can I do everything through the license center in Hang Dong or will I have the option to go through a local driving school?

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 9:45 AM, DumbFalang said:

I slipped up and have discovered that my UK drivers license has just expired. I would now like to get a Thai drivers license for both my car and bike.

Will they treat me like I have never had a car license and make me do a driving and written test?

Can I do everything through the license center in Hang Dong or will I have the option to go through a local driving school?

If you haven’t got it already…You can do everything in hangdong, though maybe easier to do it at a driving school. CM driving school in the sarapi area has well enough English speakers and they’ll be sure you have everything in order before you go to the dlt 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I'm moving from Pattaya to Chiang Mai in the next 2 months. 

I already have 2 certificate of residency.. To renew my bike and car license... The certs were issued by Pattaya DLT 

Will the Chiang Mai DLT accept the Pattaya certs? 

Alternatively... I can renew my Licenses here in Pattaya before my move.. What hassles / legal requirements do I have by using a license to drive in Chiang Mai issued in Pattaya? 

On 1/30/2023 at 6:31 AM, 1happykamper said:

I'm moving from Pattaya to Chiang Mai in the next 2 months. 

I already have 2 certificate of residency.. To renew my bike and car license... The certs were issued by Pattaya DLT 

Will the Chiang Mai DLT accept the Pattaya certs? 

Alternatively... I can renew my Licenses here in Pattaya before my move.. What hassles / legal requirements do I have by using a license to drive in Chiang Mai issued in Pattaya? 

Your CoR is for Pattaya, do you plan on reporting your new residence to immigration when you move to CM? I could be mistaken though I’m pretty sure you’ll have to do this for your license and vehicle registration as well. It’s been awhile since I’ve read the regulations but I think it’s a week or two to change the vehicle registrations and license when you move/change addresses

Edited by novacova

• 2 months later...
On 2/1/2023 at 5:20 AM, novacova said:

Your CoR is for Pattaya, do you plan on reporting your new residence to immigration when you move to CM? I could be mistaken though I’m pretty sure you’ll have to do this for your license and vehicle registration as well. It’s been awhile since I’ve read the regulations but I think it’s a week or two to change the vehicle registrations and license when you move/change addresses

Based on my experience, you do not need to change your vehicle registration. I purchased my car in BKK and 2 years later moved to CM where I drove and renewed the registration for the next 7 years w/o an issue. You do not need to change the license plate when moving to a different province.

You don't need to change your DL until it's expiring and you need a new one- then that's when you update your address with a CoR to obtain the new DL.  To obtain the CoR you need to bring your passport, TM30, copy of your lease agreement, and the application form. (If you don't have a lease, you bring the owner of the dwelling you live at to attest that you reside at said address)

17 hours ago, Joseph98765 said:

How much in advance you con go to renew the driving license? 1month? 2?

6 months

Edited by jeffandgop
  • Thumbs Up 1

I’ve never been asked for a house book or lease agreement for anything at the cm dlt, CoR is all. Maybe an oversight on their part or an issue with another office.

Edited by novacova
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, novacova said:

I’ve never been asked for a house book or lease agreement for anything at the cm dlt, CoR is all. Maybe an oversight on their part or an issue with another office.

As I wrote, a house book or lease agreement is documentation for the CoR request to Immigration (not a requirement for a DL)

Edited by jeffandgop

1 hour ago, jeffandgop said:

As I wrote, a house book or lease agreement is documentation for the CoR request to Immigration (not a requirement for a DL)

I just got a Certificate of Residence (CM immigration office near the airport). I needed a copy of the TM 30 receipt. No lease, house book, or landlord appearance necessary.

On 4/8/2023 at 2:56 AM, el jefe said:

I just got a Certificate of Residence (CM immigration office near the airport). I needed a copy of the TM 30 receipt. No lease, house book, or landlord appearance necessary.

For the cor all is needed is the tm30, then go upstairs 2nd floor submit it then wait about 4 days for it to arrive in the mail. Bring your landlord only if you want some company and someone to talk to while you’re at the io ????

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/27/2023 at 3:07 PM, DumbFalang said:

Can anyone confirm whether or not there are new rules regarding having to complete a certain number of hours with a driving school before being allowed to get a new car driving license?

If you have an international driver license and your foreign drivers license, then it shouldn’t take much time at all, an hour or two on the computer and about an hour of watching a video to get certified at the school. If you don’t have an international driver’s license and your foreign

driver license, then it will be about 3 or 4 days of driver’s ed to get certified at the school.

Edited by novacova
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To answer my own question: No appointment was necessary a week ago when I visited (successfully) for a license renewal.  Indeed, the dlt web site  page appears to be geared dysfunctionally to the previous system of group assignments in the morning and afternoon. 

• Like 1

My two year trial licenses for car and moto  expires middle of October.

I suppose I should walk in to the DMV and bring

1.) Medical Certificate (original and copy for car and moto)

2.) Certificate of Residence (original and copy for car and moto)

3.) Passport with TM30 

4.) Old Trial Driver Licenses

5.) Photos

to now get a permanent 5 year license and at the same time an international license.

Is this correct or am I missing something?

Do I have to do an online test? At what link?

How many days is the grace period after which I cannot upgrade the trial license to 5 year license any more?

Thanks for your help. ????

Edited by Barley

On 10/5/2023 at 3:27 PM, Barley said:

My two year trial licenses for car and moto  expires middle of October.

I suppose I should walk in to the DMV and bring

1.) Medical Certificate (original and copy for car and moto)

2.) Certificate of Residence (original and copy for car and moto)

3.) Passport with TM30 

4.) Old Trial Driver Licenses

5.) Photos

to now get a permanent 5 year license and at the same time an international license.

Is this correct or am I missing something?

Do I have to do an online test? At what link?

How many days is the grace period after which I cannot upgrade the trial license to 5 year license any more?

Thanks for your help. ????

You have 3 months before expiry and 1 year after expiration to renew your license. 
For renewing your car and motorcycle license you’ll need 2 copies of each document, one copy for each license: main passport page, permit to stay stamp, sign each copy. Doctor certificate. Resident certificate. Bring the Passport and both licenses. I don’t think it’s required though the last time I went to renew I included copies of my entry stamp and tm30, they didn’t say whether it was necessary or not. It never hurts to be overly prepared.

Edited by novacova
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I need to renew the 5 years (car and motorcycle DL) I can make 2 copies of the Passport and medical, but the residence certification from immigration I'm not sure, once it has a stamp on my picture that the photocopy can't show...

Do I really need 2 copies of everything?

Can i do both licence with the same appointment? when I booked in the queue App, it said something like one licence per appointment...☹😕😕 

Thanks

Edited by Joseph98765

On 10/24/2023 at 5:59 PM, Joseph98765 said:

but the residence certification from immigration I'm not sure, once it has a stamp on my picture that the photocopy can't show...

Do I really need 2 copies of everything?

Yes, you need two copies of everything. Don’t worry about the stamp on the photo, they’ll have the original along with it.

On 10/24/2023 at 5:59 PM, Joseph98765 said:

Can i do both licence with the same appointment?

Yes you can do both at the same time. Never mind with the appointment. Arrive there early just before 8:00am when the doors open. Go up to the 2nd floor to the foreigners window, can’t remember if it’s window 26 or 27 or? but it has a foreigners sign. Put your papers in order for each license, including your license’s and passport. Put the paperwork in a clear envelope along with your passport in one of the clear 8”x11” envelopes that is available there. Put the envelope containing your paperwork in the basket at the foreigner’s window and wait for them to call your name after 8:30 when the window opens.

Edited by novacova
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wing 41 pass time and I just discovered that my (25 year - no wonder I forgot!) license is now 6 months overdue for renewal.  My wife tells me that they are only issuing 5 year licenses for Thais - does that go for foreigners too?

I can easily get all the paperwork together for the procedure outlined above to do a renewal application at Hang Dong but wondering if Klaimor Hospital is still able to do the medical certificate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2023 at 5:21 PM, Greenside said:

My wife tells me that they are only issuing 5 year licenses for Thais - does that go for foreigners too?

5 year for foreigners as well.

2 year is first issue.

Life time license was abolished in 2003.

Not sure if they’re still doing 20 year.

Klaimor hospital on Hang Dong road is good for the medical certificate but inconvenient for me.

Is there any hospital in T. Suthep that is as easy and as cheap to use?

Suan Dok probably does but it is such a warren it's probably quicker to go to Klaimor!

Also, can anyone confirm that Foreigners do not need an appointment at Hang Dong?