Chiang Mai governor admits he is powerless to stop Songkran water war - but expects events to be cancelled

rooster59

Funny how the mayor of Patong can cancel Songkran events but the governor of Chiang Mai is "powerless".  

"All official Songkran events in Phuket’s Patong municipality, including the “Songkran on the Beach” play zone and the DJ dance party have been cancelled. Patong Mayor Chalermluck Kebsup made the announcement on her social media channels yesterday."

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/songkran/patong-cancels-all-official-songkran-events

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The Chiang Mai governor told a meeting of tourism personnel that he couldn't stop people playing water fights during Songkran despite fears that it could lead to the spread of the coronavirus.

Meaning he hasn't the backbone to come out and say it officially!

• Like 2

He is right No matter what he says the Thais wont listen anyway. Why have any leaders at all? I am afraid Songran has just got out of hand It is a license now to get <deleted> and throw water. You can see how much attention Thais pay to obeying the rules They stuck up sign saying "NO Turn right" Did it stop the cars? hahah I think more cars turn right now

powerless actually means gutless, coward. All are, everywhere in Thailand. Its why the fires still burn.... Everyone knows these idiots are taking money on top of their salary but the people turn a blind eye if they themselves can avoid responsabilty, laws and such.... Its idiocracy at its best. This is why i give no sympathy to the poor living conditions of people anymore and wont help anyone out anymore either. They dont deserve it.

36 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

powerless actually means gutless, coward. All are, everywhere in Thailand. Its why the fires still burn.... Everyone knows these idiots are taking money on top of their salary but the people turn a blind eye if they themselves can avoid responsabilty, laws and such.... Its idiocracy at its best. This is why i give no sympathy to the poor living conditions of people anymore and wont help anyone out anymore either. They dont deserve it.

Every nation gets the government it deserves. Joseph de Maistre (1 April 1753 – 26 February 1821)

• Like 1

I can just see the BIB heavies out in force taking away squirt guns from foreigner tourists.  "You, you farang!!! No play water.  Big fine, jail time for you!!!"
Think: lead balloon.