Dead kitten on my driveway

SilentSal

As the title says,

There seems to be a lot of cats/kittens in my neighborhood and they seem to like to come to my house because it has a small fountain in the front that i put fish inside. A couple of weeks ago when i woke up in the morning and walked outside to my gated driveway i noticed a small kitten completely cut up into pieces. The head was cleanly chopped off and so were the paws and inner organs. It seems somebody killed it in a brutal manner and threw it on my driveway possibly thinking i owned it. My girlfriend thought a dog did it at first but that's simply not possible. As it was too cleanly cut up (no bite marks) i took photos as evidence (really graphic i should not post them here) but i'm not sure what to do. My neighborhood has security cameras but the security guard for the neighborhood just stopped showing for months and the cameras seem to be off now.

Should i report this to the police? would they even care? I'm not sure if someone dislikes me here (i never hang around outside my house) but now i'm feeling concerned there is a psychopath in my neighborhood. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I'm not terribly optimistic that the police would or could do anything, but the idea posted above about putting your own CCTV cameras up seems to be a very good idea.

Edited by ubonjoe
removed quote of a removed post and a comment about it
  • Like 1

You would definitely be able to tell from the bite marks if a dog did it. If it is clean cuts, your conclusion that it was a human is most likely correc.t

If they specifically threw the kitten on your doorstep they may well have done so because they thought you owned it.

Your conclusion that it is a psychopath is not too far fetched, such extreme cruelty to aninmals is usually the first step in a psychopath CV.

The best thing you can do is to get two German shepherd dogs and train them. They will offer the best protection. Then get whatever weapons you can can get. Learn how to use them.

Surveillance cameras are cheap nowadays. They are a pain in the ass because you have to record and analyse the footage everyday. It can't hurt, but it is tiresome and you'll probably stop doing it after a while.

Make sure you have an alarm system. I have a mofo loud alarm system in my villa which goes off when a door is opened.

Do be careful, this could be a real deal nutcase in your neighbourhood.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

1. yes, DO report it to yr local police. They might care, and there are currently Animal Welfare laws upon which they can enact.

2. Install cctv. Its THE BEST insurance for if, or rather WHEN, something happens.

3. No, PLEASE do not buy a "guard dog". Having a dog and taking care of it might be a daily nuisance, and it certainly will be a headache if you go for a trip and need to find a dog sitter. Besides, a "guard dog" might become a liability, it might escape or cause problems.

Must be intimidating to find a cut up animal on yr property. SAD. Dont think though that its a "message" to you...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

Yes, this is the only reasonable course of action, immediately purchase killer digs and begin stocking an arsenal and undergo extensive ninja training.

I would also stock up on biological weapons and perhaps string up trip wires attached to claymore landmines across the entire property.

I would also advise a secure 'panic room' and underground bunker, and a giant rolling bolder.  

OP, If you really are convinced it was cut up, then make sure all the neighbours know about this incident.  Tell a few people about it and the gossip will get around the village quickly.  Then the person who did it might think twice before doing stuff like that again in fear of being caught, as people will be being more watchful and suspicious.

Also yes, get a security camera.  They are cheap now, easy to use and will be useful for many other things, like if people are trespassing on your property, or trying to break in, or even who is ringing your door bell.

You can view the recording on your PC or phone.  

Maybe get rid of the fountain if its encouraging lots of stray cats into your garden which might be annoying neighbours with the cats being noisy, or pooping around their houses.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

Yes, this is the only reasonable course of action, immediately purchase killer dogs and begin stocking an arsenal and undergo extensive ninja training.

I would also stock up on biological weapons and perhaps string up trip wires attached to claymore landmines across the entire property.

Are you suggesting that me teaching my two German shepherd/Bulldog mixes to only eat food on command (so that an intruder can not take them out by giving them poisoned food) was overkill?

You'd be completely wrong. I was burgled twice before I got the dogs. After those two animals watched over the estate not a single issue. NONE.

Obviously stocking biological weapons would be useless, and claymore landmines prohibitively expensive.

However, investing in legal weapons, a good spyderco knife, a crossbow and a compound bow, a pepper spray gun from Switzerland and such would never hurt.

Also great fun to train to use them, especially the compound bow.

German shepherds are not killer dogs anyway, I didn't say get a British pitbull. In contrast to the British pitbull the German shepherd is known for its intelligence, delightful temperament and will only turn into a vicious killer if absolutely necessary, provided they are well trained by a competent human.

You can't get greater peace of mind really. And don't forget this man has a guy living in the neighbourhood who goes around slicing up kittens and putting them on people's doorsteps.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Should i report this to the police? would they even care? I'm not sure if someone dislikes me here (i never hang around outside my house) but now i'm feeling concerned there is a psychopath in my neighborhood. 

Hell no.  The psycho might work there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can't hurt to report and see what happens.   Most police would be as repulsed by this as you are and may well make it a personal mission to find the culprit.   

This is seems far more vile than recent reports of farangs attacking dogs with sticks, so maybe a social media post of the pictures would tie their hands and force them to act.   

God old knows what this person is capable of if they can do that to a kitten.  

• Like 2

I certainly dont condone the killing of any animals.  With that said, many people are irresponsible with their dogs and cats and let them roam.  Certainly it is inconsiderate to allow them to defecate and urinate on other peoples property.  If they are your animal, keep them contained within your yard. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

I certainly dont condone the killing of any animals.  With that said, many people are irresponsible with their dogs and cats and let them roam.  Certainly it is inconsiderate to allow them to defecate and urinate on other peoples property.  If they are your animal, keep them contained within your yard. 

How do you stop a cat from roaming?... is that the norm for house cats?

Dogs of course are different. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

richard-smith237

Same as the dog.  Either put them on a leash, or build a fence in a way they can not jump or climb over.  They are your animal.  It is disrespectful and rude to impose your desire to have a cat on your neighbors and let them defecate and urinate in other peoples yards. Better yet, keep them inside the house, and use a litter box. 

Edited by Thomas J
  • Like 2

This is a terrible situation @silentsal. Heartbreaking; it really cut me up.

Two days ago two of our kittens went missing. We found one about half a kilometer away. It was all black and had a nasty head wound. The other was a three colour, short-tail kitten. Looking for it everywhere.

Very sad.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Thomas J said:

We had problems with neighbours dogs getting in and killing our chickens.  Laws are needed here to make owners responsible for damage their animals do.   We solved the problem at personal expense and build walls around the property.  (The dogs were digging under or breaking through the bamboo and wire fences before).

But, now we have a problem with cats.  The population of them is growing rapidly in the street as no one 'fixes' their pets, so they have so many kittens.  Now they come onto the property and spray urine all over the place, scratch the seats of our motor bikes, and kill our parakeets through the aviary mesh at night.  They also scream and fight in the early hours and set our dogs off barking, which causes the neighbours to complain to us that our dogs are noisy!! 

I can understand (but not condone) why some people get so frustrated with these cats they will take matters into their own hands.  

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Owners of expensive pedigree cat breeds have no problem stopping their cats roaming.  They are cared for properly, kept in the house, and have a large run / aviary in the garden for exercise and sunshine.  

The owners of most  'normal cats'  simply don't care enough about their pets, and are lazy, just letting them roam about annoying people, killing wildlife, spreading diseases.  If they get run down, disappear or die from some accident, these owners simply get another cheap or free cat replacement.  

Edited by jak2002003

5 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

We had problems with neighbours dogs getting in and killing our chickens.  Laws are needed here to make owners responsible for damage their animals do.   We solved the problem at personal expense and build walls around the property.  (The dogs were digging under or breaking through the bamboo and wire fences before).

But, now we have a problem with cats.  The population of them is growing rapidly in the street as no one 'fixes' their pets, so they have so many kittens.  Now they come onto the property and spray urine all over the place, scratch the seats of our motor bikes, and kill our parakeets through the aviary mesh at night.  They also scream and fight in the early hours and set our dogs off barking, which causes the neighbours to complain to us that our dogs are noisy!! 

I can understand (but not condone) why some people get so frustrated with these cats they will take matters into their own hands.  

Owners of expensive pedigree cat breeds have no problem stopping their cats roaming.  They are cared for properly, kept in the house, and have a large run / aviary in the garden for exercise and sunshine.  

The owners of most  'normal cats'  simply don't care enough about their pets, and are lazy, just letting them roam about annoying people, killing wildlife, spreading diseases.  If they get run down, disappear or die from some accident, these owners simply get another cheap or free cat replacement.  

I would never keep an indoor cat. 

Cant see the point in a purebred either.

I do hovever, spay or neuter any cat I take on.

All my cats have been free to come and go inside or outside as they please.

Edited by metempsychotic

1 minute ago, metempsychotic said:

I would never keep an indoor cat. 

Cant see the point in a purebred either.

I do hovever, spay or neuter any cat I take on.

So you are fine with your cats getting hit by a car at night, or eating rubbish and poisoned food off the street? 

You don't care about them getting injured fighting other cats, or getting attacked by street dogs?  And, you certainly don't care about them being an annoyance to neighbours, or pooping in other peoples gardens where children play? 

And, you don't care that they are hunting and killing wild birds and other animals every night?  

This is the kind of attitude that gives cat owners a bad reputation.

If you keep pets you should take responsibility for them.  But, seems you simply 'take in' more cats when some go missing or die... so not even spend money to buy one...…

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

So you are fine with your cats getting hit by a car at night, or eating rubbish and poisoned food off the street? 

You don't care about them getting injured fighting other cats, or getting attacked by street dogs?  And, you certainly don't care about them being an annoyance to neighbours, or pooping in other peoples gardens where children play? 

And, you don't care that they are hunting and killing wild birds and other animals every night?  

This is the kind of attitude that gives cat owners a bad reputation.

If you keep pets you should take responsibility for them.  But, seems you simply 'take in' more cats when some go missing or die... so not even spend money to buy one...…

Dont really know, last one here made it to 13, current one is 4.

You seem exceptiinally shrill for a sunday afternoon.

Perhaps take it down a notch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Have you  checked  under the  bonnet  of your car?  Kittens like to hide on top of the engine and the fan blades  will slice then up

That acutally makes sense.

Seen this and its not pretty. 

Cat vs fanbelt and fan. 

Awful