Dead kitten on my driveway

SilentSal

The cats come to your garden attracted by the fish pond. But some cat hating local thinks they are your cats and so sent you a message.

Is the problem caused by the cats or does someone have a grievance against you for other reasons.

CCTV and a Police report would be a good idea as this may not be the end of the matter.

There are no secrets in Thailand, your Thai neighbours likely know who did this.

5 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

1. yes, DO report it to yr local police. They might care, and there are currently Animal Welfare laws upon which they can enact.

2. Install cctv. Its THE BEST insurance for if, or rather WHEN, something happens.

3. No, PLEASE do not buy a "guard dog". Having a dog and taking care of it might be a daily nuisance, and it certainly will be a headache if you go for a trip and need to find a dog sitter. Besides, a "guard dog" might become a liability, it might escape or cause problems.

Must be intimidating to find a cut up animal on yr property. SAD. Dont think though that its a "message" to you...

Plenty of nutters around, foreign and local, I think the local would not realise a camera was on him?  Personally I would fit a camera (real or not) but also a motion sensor floodlight...Ive seen people climbing my 6ft gate getting caught on the spikes badly when the lights come on,  (left the blood on the spikes)

Pepper or chilli powder thrown around your entrance liberally and watch any cat or dog freeze dead at the edge!  They walk carefully around it and scarper, it lasts about a week, so after a month or so doing it, the cats and dogs walk on the other side of the road. No harm done!

Edited by Paul DS

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

We had problems with neighbours dogs getting in and killing our chickens.  Laws are needed here to make owners responsible for damage their animals do.   We solved the problem at personal expense and build walls around the property.  (The dogs were digging under or breaking through the bamboo and wire fences before).

But, now we have a problem with cats.  The population of them is growing rapidly in the street as no one 'fixes' their pets, so they have so many kittens.  Now they come onto the property and spray urine all over the place, scratch the seats of our motor bikes, and kill our parakeets through the aviary mesh at night.  They also scream and fight in the early hours and set our dogs off barking, which causes the neighbours to complain to us that our dogs are noisy!! 

I can understand (but not condone) why some people get so frustrated with these cats they will take matters into their own hands.  

Owners of expensive pedigree cat breeds have no problem stopping their cats roaming.  They are cared for properly, kept in the house, and have a large run / aviary in the garden for exercise and sunshine.  

The owners of most  'normal cats'  simply don't care enough about their pets, and are lazy, just letting them roam about annoying people, killing wildlife, spreading diseases.  If they get run down, disappear or die from some accident, these owners simply get another cheap or free cat replacement.  

Edited by Paul DS

1 hour ago, DaRoadrunner said:

The cats come to your garden attracted by the fish pond. But some cat hating local thinks they are your cats and so sent you a message.

Is the problem caused by the cats or does someone have a grievance against you for other reasons.

CCTV and a Police report would be a good idea as this may not be the end of the matter.

There are no secrets in Thailand, your Thai neighbours likely know who did this.

Comes off as authoritarive but is, in fact, pure speculation.

Still, everybody has an opinion.

8 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

As a mental health professional you miss a few obvious diagnostic clues that may help you steer our paramilitary pal back to a gentler and happier place. i urge you to try harder, point out to him that modifying his dog's feeding habits is fruitless (don't get me started on getting dogs to actually eat fruit) if his largely imagined intruder follows his posted advice and trains on the compound bow (great fun i'm told). He'd be better advised to train the dogs in arrow-dodging. I've found this kind of gradual introduction to our reality by gently pointing out inconsistency in his, largely constructed, reality can be beneficial.

But regardless, I certainly hope i don't get you as a shrink when i go bananas (damn there's that fruit-eating Rottweiler flashback again).

BTW what are your rates?

and don't say peanuts. 

Im working pro bono today it seems, but he same prescription for a grain of salt stands.

10 hours ago, Logosone said:

The best thing you can do is to get two German shepherd dogs and train them. They will offer the best protection

Be careful with that though. It's quite common here in Mae Sot for would be robbers to throw poisoned food to the dogs to kill them while casing out your place. 

Also very common in the Philippines 

2 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

Dont really know, last one here made it to 13, current one is 4.

You seem exceptiinally shrill for a sunday afternoon.

Perhaps take it down a notch.

+1. just one of those ppl telling other ppl what to do...in public places. typical farang mentality, thinking the whole world bel0ngs to them. 

dont like cats on yr property? build a fence or wall and keep the gate closed. problem solved.

1 hour ago, Paul DS said:

Pepper or chilli powder thrown around your entrance liberally and watch any cat or dog freeze dead at the edge!  They walk carefully around it and scarper, it lasts about a week, so after a month or so doing it, the cats and dogs walk on the other side of the road. No harm done!

Or better yet...a little phosphorous acid mixed with ethanol...just make sure to wear gloves.  Problem solved. Obviously you'll need to dispose of the bodies at night in black plastic bags. This is where the black camouflage clothing is useful.

But then you knew that.

35 minutes ago, Nakmuay887 said:

Be careful with that though. It's quite common here in Mae Sot for would be robbers to throw poisoned food to the dogs to kill them while casing out your place. 

Also very common in the Philippines 

Actually, that's common everywhere. Hence it is standard practice and one of the first things a German shepherd should learn to only eat on command. The standard command for this is the German 'Nimm's!'...

It's great fun to teach a dog to eat only when you command it do so. It's easily done too. You teach it like this, you put a bowl in front of it and say nothing. If it tries to eat you remove the bowl. Then at one point you say the word 'Nimms!' in a very emphatic manner. Ideally with a German acccent (it's more authoritative).

Then every time you give a snack you withdraw it. But give it by saying 'Nimm's'. Unless your dog is really thick it will eventually grasp it should only eat on the command of 'Nimm's'.

Once this is accomplished, it has to be repeated at every feeding. 

And voila, nobody, but NOBODY can feed your dog except you. No risk of poisonous  treats. Ever.

This is how dogs are trained in Germany. 

You'd be amazed what a German shepherd can learn.

On 3/10/2020 at 12:48 PM, Dan123 said:

Waitaya has been accused of killing up to 12 cats. He will be sent to court, and if found guilty he faces a maximum of two years in jail and a 40,000 baht fine.

Wataya maintains his innocence, saying that these cats were untrained and difficult to care for, and that had to use violence to keep them orderly. He said that he had been “stressed and unable to control himself.”

Obviously mentally ill. I hope they lock him up permanently in a mental institution.

On 3/8/2020 at 6:22 AM, SilentSal said:

A couple of weeks ago when i woke up in the morning and walked outside to my gated driveway i noticed a small kitten completely cut up into pieces.

The moment for doing anything involving the police expired almost two weeks ago.

On 3/8/2020 at 6:11 AM, Mick501 said:

Can't hurt to report and see what happens.   Most police would be as repulsed by this as you are and may well make it a personal mission to find the culprit.   

This is seems far more vile than recent reports of farangs attacking dogs with sticks, so maybe a social media post of the pictures would tie their hands and force them to act.   

God old knows what this person is capable of if they can do that to a kitten.  

I wouldn't hold out much hope that the cops would be in the slightest bit interested. They see far worse things done to humans on a fairly regular basis in some provinces and don't bad an eyelid at the blood and gore. Dogs and cats are way down on the karma pecking order and don't warrant a second thought, unfortunately.

Way back in 1991 or so, I was living in a teacher's house in rural Khon Kaen province and the house opposite mine was empty. I went over to have a look in one day and found a dead kitten with all its legs cut off at the knees just lying on the floor. There were quite a few stray cats in the area, but could never work out why anyone would senselessly butcher a harmless kitten like this and just leave its corpse on the floor of an empty house for the ants to eat. Other teachers I told of the incident couldn't give a monkey's about the kitten's fate and didn't seem to think it odd.