U.S. death toll from coronavirus hits 19, New York declares emergency

rooster59

7 hours ago, Proboscis said:

In such small samples, it does not help to extrapolate from case fatality to estimates of number infected. There may be many other factors playing a role.

However, I do agree with your contention that the USA has done little to prepare for epidemics. The fact that the USA does not have a public health system is also a major issue as it is through public health systems that a top-down order can be made to implement a policy. In the USA where many poorer people are uninsured, they are unlikely to admit they might have the condition and will often continue to work while infectious.

I would say that until the high summer arrives, we might be looking at huge numbers. The fact that the authorities do not have enough test kits and until 10 days ago all samples had to be sent to CDC in Atlanta, Ga. is symptomatic of the lack of a public health system in the country.

With a reported 80% rate of people not requiring hospital treatment, yes I dare say there will be a percentage of people who will become infected but recover without reporting it.  Of the remaining 20%, most need only moderate intervention whilst a smaller amount need intensive treatment.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Its rather inappropriate to use a thread about a killer disease just to bash a politician

There are numerous other threads where you can rant about Trump and call him names

Point taken but the point I inelegantly made is that he is a big part of the problem now with his overarching arrogance and belief he knows more than the experts. The fact he 'washed his hands' and shoved Pence into the front line speaks volumes. Serious times calls for serious people. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/pedrodacosta/2020/03/07/trumps-lies-about-the-coronavirus-raise-the-risk-of-a-recession/#7c12744b6eb2

Edited by URMySunshine
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Its rather inappropriate to use a thread about a killer disease just to bash a politician

There are numerous other threads where you can rant about Trump and call him names

Let's quote Trump instead.. as we can trust him to tell the truth:  

Trump said doctors he's come across as the administration tries to get a handle on the outbreak have been surprised about how much he knows about COVID-19. "Maybe I have a natural ability," he said. "Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president."

Edited by Opl
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Proboscis said:

In such small samples, it does not help to extrapolate from case fatality to estimates of number infected. There may be many other factors playing a role.

However, I do agree with your contention that the USA has done little to prepare for epidemics. The fact that the USA does not have a public health system is also a major issue as it is through public health systems that a top-down order can be made to implement a policy. In the USA where many poorer people are uninsured, they are unlikely to admit they might have the condition and will often continue to work while infectious.

I would say that until the high summer arrives, we might be looking at huge numbers. The fact that the authorities do not have enough test kits and until 10 days ago all samples had to be sent to CDC in Atlanta, Ga. is symptomatic of the lack of a public health system in the country.

Of course the US has a public health system- many, in fact. With you being incorrect about that, the rest of your argument crumbles under its own weight.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, aussienam said:

It has reached hysteria levels.  Media are eating this up.  The top players will make huge bucks by promoting fear, shorting the market on the panic selling.  People hedge on these types of events.

Indeed. I just saw an ad selling retirement advice under the guise of protecting one's portfolio from coronavirus.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Ian Nagle said:

Hope you don't get murdered.

The chances of me being murdered are virtually nil, especially given I live in a city that has been repeatedly named in the top 5 of best cities in the country to live in.

Perspective.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

This corona virus is nonpartisan. You just trying to made one up. HHS has declared this a public health emergency. Florida and Washington have declared state of emergency. 400+ has been infected and 19 deaths and likely to rise. Congress has approved an emergency fund of $8.3 B and both sides of the aisle voted for it. S&P declined 11% last week; worst since 2008 and DOW dropped 12%. Its all happening and not an illusion created by the left. It’s real and there is no ego won by playing the partisan card. 

He was posting about the overall Democrat handling of the coronavirus, not the virus itself. I hereby challenge you to show where anyone has stated the coronavirus itself is partisan.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ricohoc said:

Millions are infected by influenza in the US every year.  Tens of thousands die from it.

This corona stuff has been blown way out of proportion by a media seeking to hang it on Trump -- some way.   More foolishness.

Tell that to the Chinese government I guess they screwed up when the shut down their economy and lost untold billions it’s all a scam to get trump lol do you guys realize how ridiculous you sound lol look bottom line trump is doing his best to down play this incident in his mishandling of it it’s makes him look bad so what.we all knew he would fail the test he’s no leader he’s just a loudmouth New Yorker bilko artist 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Tug said:

Tell that to the Chinese government I guess they screwed up when the shut down their economy and lost untold billions it’s all a scam to get trump lol do you guys realize how ridiculous you sound lol look bottom line trump is doing his best to down play this incident in his mishandling of it it’s makes him look bad so what.we all knew he would fail the test he’s no leader he’s just a loudmouth New Yorker bilko artist 

When has anyone stated the Chinese are engaging in a scam to get Trump?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Challenge not met. Please reread. Nothing at your link says the coronavirus itself is partisan. I'm sure that upon you reviewing my challenge and your response, you will see your error.

President Trump

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Specifically, how does that photograph indicate Trump says the coronavirus itself is partisan?

So the KAG red cap means nothing to you?  Looks like an opportunity to politicize an health emergency issue not to be missed by Trump seeking reelection.

Specifically, scientists should not be used to serve a political aim.   

Edited by Opl
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Opl said:

So the KAG red cap means nothing to you?  Looks like an opportunity to politicize an health emergency issue not to be missed by Trump seeking reelection.

Specifically, scientists should not be used to serve a political aim.   

OK, a subject change. Here's my answer: I don't care about your subject change. I was addressing the notion of a virus being partisan.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

He meant every word he said. Russia hoax, impeachment hoax and now corona virus hoax. He has been deflecting and lying and never admit nor apologies for his mistakes his whole adult life. What can be different this time. 

Honestly, I am confused. You said he believed every word he said. Then you said he was lying. Both cannot be true. Which is it, in context of the actual topic at hand?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

What a joke...the virus spread is Trumps fault???....Dems have sunk to a level

where they dont even care if they are making sense.

No country has got what it takes to handle this mess...no one.

They are short on resources, staff, kits, everything. Because no one

has planned for something like this.

Singapore maybe has a better grip than other countries if you go by optics.

But even they are finding that this thing is getting away from them.

Its spreading due to the insidiousness of the disease coupled with the 

stupidity and complacency of people....not Trump.

You could have 5 million staffers in CDC and you still cant stop it

till you have a vaccine.

Edited by JHolmesJr
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1