U.S. death toll from coronavirus hits 19, New York declares emergency

rooster59

27 minutes ago, Opl said:

Your 4 y.o innocent little daughter, if unnoticely infected and asymptomatic can kill your wife, your mom, your M.I.L your neighbours, in case you're interested 

I don't have a 4 year old innocent little daughter.  Can you give me a single example out of the entire human population concerning this virus that the situation you have detailed has ever happened?

Panic, ignorance and fear are the things that are causing the most danger and harm to people... not this virus.  

23 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Keep your perspective to yourself. You not smarter than the whole world who are treating this as an emergency. 

There are a lot of people that think like me.  I am quite smart, and have a high I.Q.  I also graduated in Biological sciences with a first class (Hons) degree.  

This 'emergency' is hysteria, fueled by the media, social media and panicked people that are ignorant of the facts, or have been fed lies and misinformation by people in power who have no clue about the virus themselves.

Its no different to the Bird Flue, SARS and other pandemics that have occurred over the years... only this time with social media and lack of exciting world news, it's getting all the attention.  

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I don't have a 4 year old innocent little daughter.  Can you give me a single example out of the entire human population concerning this virus that the situation you have detailed has ever happened?

I don't intend to insult your intelligence, but I have no time to loose

Edited by Opl
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

There are a lot of people that think like me.  I am quite smart, and have a high I.Q.  I also graduated in Biological sciences with a first class (Hons) degree.  

Let say for all the education that your professed you have, I will lean towards the WHO scientific warning rather than the average Joe’s perspective. No offense intended. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, sukhumvitneon said:

The only liar in this situation is China.  If they had sounded the alarm about the virus when it first broke out, then the world wouldn't be in this mess.

They not only did NOT sound the alarm, but there is more and more evidence being provided that shows that they sought to cover it up and silence those who were reporting it inside China.

There was a time when Communist China was isolated from the rest of the world.  I think they have earned that distinction once again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ricohoc said:

They not only did NOT sound the alarm, but there is more and more evidence being provided that shows that they sought to cover it up and silence those who were reporting it inside China.

There was a time when Communist China was isolated from the rest of the world.  I think they have earned that distinction once again.

I don't know that there's "more and more evidence." There was plenty of evidence very early on that China suppressed evidence in December 2020. But by mid january there was plenty of info about the coronavirus and some countries like Taiwan and Hong Kong were already taking action.

• Haha 1

A post using content from Twitter has been removed, please do not post anything that is not from a reliable source, no links to YouTube, Facebook, Twitter.

18) Social Media content is not to be used as  source material unless it is from a recognized or approved news media source,  the source of any such material (Twitter, Facebook  etc.) should always be shown

1 hour ago, cmarshall said:

And what might a competent government have done with such early warning?  Well, they might have done what the South Korean government did by calling for a meeting of 20 companies capable of manufacturing corona test kits in a meeting room of the train station in Seoul on Dec. 31, 2019 and ordering them to produce the kits at scale enabling the subsequent wide-scale testing that enabled S. Korea to contain the virus.  Hong Kong and Singapore were also proactive in taking similar steps.  But not the US, Italy, Germany, France, the UK, or the rest of the Western countries.  Too bad for them.

The incompetency continue with Trump refusal to use the Emergency Production Powers. His idiocy continue with his comment to re-use face mask after washing. 

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/488526-frustration-mounts-at-trumps-reluctance-to-use-emergency-production-powers

• Haha 1

Obamacare bad.

This just in from Rupert Murdoch's Wall Street Journal:

U.S. Considers Special Enrollment Period for Affordable Care Act Due to Coronavirus Spread

The Trump administration is considering the launch of a special enrollment period for people to sign up for health coverage under the Affordable Care Act because of the new coronavirus crisis, a Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services spokeswoman said Saturday.

At least nine states that run their own exchanges where people can go to buy health coverage have said they would let people obtain coverage under the ACA even though the enrollment season has passed. But most states rely on the federal government to run their exchanges and need approval to initiate a special sign-up period.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-considers-special-enrollment-period-for-affordable-care-act-due-to-coronavirus-spread-11584814494?mod=hp_lead_pos4

• Haha 1

A post containing unattributed content has been removed as well as the replies.  Please provide a valid link to the source of information when posting:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

4 hours ago, cmarshall said:

Congratulations on your "high I.Q." the relevance of which in the current context escapes me.  However, Covid-19 is quite different from SARS and Bird Flu, neither of which reached pandemic status.  SARS caused 8,000 infections and 774 deaths before being declared contained after about 9 months in 2003.  Bird Flu refers to a series of infectious outbreaks with related viruses none of which were as extensive or deadly as SARS, although avian flu strains do have the potential for a pandemic.

At this moment the tally for corona is 307,000 infections and 13,000 deaths.  Overnight the worldwide increase in infections was more than 30,000.  So, do you begin to see how corona might be quite different from other recent pandemics/epidemics?  But keep watching because the difference with coronavirus is going to become even more apparent in the weeks to come.

yep cm,

Murrica ain't seen nothing yet.

With love from Europe.

• Confused 1

This is a reminder of what this topic is about:

U.S. death toll from coronavirus hits 19, New York declares emergency

(Reuters) - Two more people succumbed to the novel coronavirus in Washington state, officials said on Saturday, bringing the nationwide toll to 19, while the number of confirmed cases in New York rose to 89 and a cruise ship with infected passengers remained stranded outside San Francisco.

More than half of all U.S. states have reported cases of the coronavirus, which originated in China last year and causes the sometimes deadly respiratory illness COVID-19. As the outbreak takes root, daily life has become increasingly disrupted, with concerts and conferences cancelled and universities telling students to stay home and take classes online.

A post containing Twitter content has been removed as well:

18) Social Media content is not to be used as  source material unless it is from a recognized or approved news media source,  the source of any such material (Twitter, Facebook  etc.) should always be shown

A clean up of this topic may be coming real soon, no more public notices will be posted regarding off topic posts, bickering posts and the replies having been removed. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Obamacare bad.

This just in from Rupert Murdoch's Wall Street Journal:

U.S. Considers Special Enrollment Period for Affordable Care Act Due to Coronavirus Spread

The Trump administration is considering the launch of a special enrollment period for people to sign up for health coverage under the Affordable Care Act because of the new coronavirus crisis, a Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services spokeswoman said Saturday.

At least nine states that run their own exchanges where people can go to buy health coverage have said they would let people obtain coverage under the ACA even though the enrollment season has passed. But most states rely on the federal government to run their exchanges and need approval to initiate a special sign-up period.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-considers-special-enrollment-period-for-affordable-care-act-due-to-coronavirus-spread-11584814494?mod=hp_lead_pos4

I never understood why a limited duration enrollment period was necessary in the first place.

5 hours ago, EricTh said:

Does anybody know why there is a discrepancy between numbers reported by CDC and Worldometer?

CDC reported only 15,000

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Coronavirus.app also has similar number as Worldometer....

https://coronavirus.app/map

I don't know, but it's Trump's fault for sure. Has to be.