Strict measures imposed on airlines flying in from high-risk places

webfact

Strict measures imposed on airlines flying in from high-risk places

By THE NATION

800_dbffb8aa7378c69.jpg?v=1583723564

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) has made it mandatory for air operators from countries and territories announced as high risk for Covid-19 infection to take strict measures to prevent the spread of the virus, according to an announcement on Sunday (March 8).

A Ministry of Public Health announcement in the Royal Gazette earlier this month had named South Korea, China (including Hong Kong and Macau), Italy and Iran as high-risk countries.

The CAAT announcement signed by director-general Chula Sukmanop states that incoming passengers from the said countries must remain in quarantine and follow other communicable disease prevention measures as specified by Ministry of Public Health. Furthermore, the air operators that provide flights originating from the countries at high risk of Covid-19 infection must screen check-in passengers by checking their health certificate to verify that they are free of Covid-19 and are not at risk of infection. If any passenger is unable to provide a valid health certificate, the air operators must not issue a boarding pass to them.

Air operators are also required to input information of passengers on a Tor 8 form as required by Communication Disease Act BE2558 and submit it to communicable disease control officials at the destination airport.

When the aircraft reaches the destination airport, it must remain in the designated bay until communicable disease control officials allow it to leave.

Meanwhile, passengers in the aircraft must undergo medical examination and be in quarantine at specified facilities for a specific time. The expense for passenger transport to quarantine facilities will be the air operator’s responsibility.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383655

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-09
  • Like 1

The problem I foresee is where there are connecting flights... eg. ME airlines, where the passengers could have come from many European countries, some high risk, others less so.  But an infected passenger from one of the high risk countries could easily pass it on to others from a low risk origin.

So will everyone need to be quarantined if there are passengers from any high-risk country even if the final leg is from a low risk origin...?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, webfact said:

to take strict measures to prevent the spread of the virus,

my idea of strict measures would be real N95 masks for cabin crew, face shields to protect their eyes and gloves. proper training for wearing masks and gloves. 

no beverage service on short flights. nothing handed back and forth. 

passengers entering the aircraft must wear masks and wash their hands at the door with hand sanitizer.

no magazines, papers. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, madmitch said:

We'll probably hear something totally different later today.

You are correct.  

Absolute confusion.

Expect further news today.

• Like 1

440464346_2020-03-0912_03_35.jpg.cc4fe3b83d0c7138308e5e3d22e97af4.jpg

TH's list of at-risk countries is a bit hard to follow...  No France or Germany or Spain....  But Hong Kong is listed with only 114 confirmed cases, and Macau with only 10, according to Johns Hopkins' tracking.

Wonder how long before the U.S. makes it onto their list???

• Like 1

Obviously, the CAAT has not consulted with this Chula doctor re their travel policy requiring pre-flight medical certificates:

Dr Wassamon Chantharabenjaku said: “After you come back from countries with high risk of infection, it is recommended to self-quarantine at home for at least 14 days and monitor for symptoms like fever, coughing, runny nose and panting.

“Do not go to a hospital immediately for a physical exam or ask for a doctor certificate, as the virus may still be in incubation period and the chance of finding it through examination at this point is very slim.”

“There is no point of receiving an exam when you haven’t shown any symptoms of Covid-19 yet,” she explained.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, webfact said:

A Ministry of Public Health announcement in the Royal Gazette earlier this month had named South Korea, China (including Hong Kong and Macau), Italy and Iran as high-risk countries.

And yet, re Macau, the Thai MoPH also reported in their latest COVID status update:

The Macao Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China - South China Morning Post reported the last confirmed COVID-19 patient was discharged from the hospital and can go back home. Thus, Macao does not currently have any COVID-19 patients currently under treatment. 

• Like 2

Crystal clear ...as always.

That' s where we are right now, unless Anutin changes the rules in the next 10 minutes.

All people from the 2 lists from Thai authorities (France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Iran, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea and Singapore)

who need a visa MUST submit a health certificate saying that they are Covid-19 free. In clear, it mean no way to come here since no doctor will agree to give that.

For the ones who don't need a visa, no changes so far: specific queues and temperature check at airport for the 1st group (China, HK, Macau, Iran, Italy) and self quarantine for 14 days with a paper form asking for whereabouts during the next 14 days + self reporting (call) on a daily basis (which has not been organized yet according to yesterday's arrivals). Legally binding.

For group 2 countries,  no daily reporting, not legally binding.

Oh, so very strict, taking to quarantine like they did with illegal workers shipped back from Korea. 35-40% fled quarantine, but I imagine did so with great discipline and strictness. In sum, we're screwed

25 minutes ago, xtof2 said:

For the ones who don't need a visa...

I have a non-imm O multi-entry and will be returning in about two weeks to Thailand from the U.S. via transit in Japan. As we understand it now, I would just need to submit to whatever screening is presented at the airport when I arrive at BKK, right?

18 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

I have a non-imm O multi-entry and will be returning in about two weeks to Thailand from the U.S. via transit in Japan. As we understand it now, I would just need to submit to whatever screening is presented at the airport when I arrive at BKK, right?

As of today, you're ok. US is not in any list and Japan is in group 2 so it's just a temperature scan at airport.

As of today... that's actually the big issue and the uncertainty for us resident in Thailand.

I am flying to Europe this week and you never know how you will be able to come back.

13 minutes ago, xtof2 said:

As of today, you're ok. US is not in any list and Japan is in group 2 so it's just a temperature scan at airport.

As of today... that's actually the big issue and the uncertainty for us resident in Thailand.

I am flying to Europe this week and you never know how you will be able to come back.

Right...it's changing multiple times per day and we may have not seen the worst of the "official" words on the crisis. Very well could change by the time I travel back here. Maybe I'll have to fly from Japan to Laos or Cambodia and take a bus into Thailand.

1 hour ago, tjo o tjim said:

Boy, this is going to make travel complicated. To the US from Bangkok about your only connection options are China, Japan, and Korea. 

I'm heading to the US (east coast) next week and am avoiding Cathay and JAL which I normally fly because I don't want to route through HKG, Seoul and Tokyo. Going through Munich on the way there with Thai connecting to Lufthansa. When I return in 4 weeks, I'll either route through London, Copenhagen or Zurich. Lots of choices to those airports and Thai flies from them to BKK. Another choice would be Austrian which flies from US-VIE-BKK.

If you're going to the West coast, then can still route through Manila or head through Europe or ME countries.  

Edited by JerseytoBKK
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

that incoming passengers from the said countries must remain in quarantine and follow other communicable disease prevention measures as specified by Ministry of Public Health. Furthermore, the air operators that provide flights originating from the countries at high risk of Covid-19 infection must screen check-in passengers by checking their health certificate to verify that they are free of Covid-19 and are not at risk of infection. If any passenger is unable to provide a valid health certificate, the air operators must not issue a boarding pass to them.

so that's the procedure they will now follow ....  :cheesy:

8 minutes ago, JerseytoBKK said:

I'm heading to the US (east coast) next week and am avoiding Cathay and JAL which I normally fly because I don't want to route through HKG, Seoul and Tokyo. Going through Munich on the way there with Thai connecting to Lufthansa. When I return in 4 weeks, I'll either route through London, Copenhagen or Zurich. Lots of choices to those airports and Thai flies from them to BKK. Another choice would be Austrian which flies from US-VIE-BKK.

If you're going to the West coast, then can still route through Manila or head east and go through Europe or ME countries.  

That's a good idea...I thought about flying through Zurich on my return in two weeks. But, Swiss Air and Thai both have 6+ hours for layover in Zurich which makes an already long trip even longer. The transit in Japan is only 3 hours. Praying that Japan doesn't get moved to List #1 in the next two weeks.