Opening A New Bank Account In Thailand-2020

On 1/2/2020 at 11:25 AM, Caldera said:

Can you elaborate on that, please? Is that an agent that assisted you with opening an account? Did you need anything besides your passport?

http://tiktokservicesthailand.com/

they set up bank account for me when i came LOS with 30 days tourist visa (30 days visa exemption). i didnt have even tourist visa when i came .
dont need any paperworks other than your passport and dont need to buy silly insurance from bank.

i also get my thai driver license with them in 3 hours only.we went land of transport mornin 07:00 and i was keeping my driver license at 10:00 am
they are just great.
bad thing : they provide their services only in pattaya

Edited by kiever
  • Thanks 1

I'm here from the US on a SETV.

Went to Bangkok Bank at Kad Suen Kaew mall.

Showed my passport.

Showed rent receipts.

The clerk said the receipts do not help - he had a sample form that he said I need to get from Thai Imm. stating that "XYZ Street" is where I am living.

I need to bring a passport photo for the form.

He said with that I can open an account.

Will be going to Imm. to extend my SETV next week and will get this form taken care of (hopefully) as well.

13 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

I'm here from the US on a SETV.

Went to Bangkok Bank at Kad Suen Kaew mall.

Showed my passport.

Showed rent receipts.

The clerk said the receipts do not help - he had a sample form that he said I need to get from Thai Imm. stating that "XYZ Street" is where I am living.

I need to bring a passport photo for the form.

He said with that I can open an account.

Will be going to Imm. to extend my SETV next week and will get this form taken care of (hopefully) as well.

That is called a Residence Cert and it's free if you can wait a few weeks for it. If you want it the next day, it is 500 baht.

You need to provide rental agreement , passport size photos to immigration.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, EricTh said:

That is called a Residence Cert and it's free if you can wait a few weeks for it. If you want it the next day, it is 500 baht.

You need to provide rental agreement , passport size photos to immigration.

I don't have a rental agreement other than my receipts - staying at a hotel. I've been there for almost 2 months and have receipts showing this.

The  hotel name is on the receipts.

Will this suffice?

5 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

I don't have a rental agreement other than my receipts - staying at a hotel. I've been there for almost 2 months and have receipts showing this.

The  hotel name is on the receipts.

Will this suffice?

It won't suffice because immigration is 'document-crazy'.

It's easier to open a bank account if you have a one year rental agreement with the condo etc.

It is difficult in the case of hotel because you can just leave the next day. Having receipts is not sufficient because it goes to show you have lived there before and not whether you will still live there in the next few months.

There is no harm trying but I do suggest you get an official letter from manager of hotel that you have stayed there for xx months.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

Havent read the whole thread so apologies if a little off track but thought I'd share. I have 2 accounts with BKK bank and rely on the app heavily as I'm out the country a lot. Its a pain in the ass to be honest. Crashing loads and requires to be uninstalled and reinstalled many times.

So thought I'd try SCB. I was given the usual "no work permit no account" by girl at the door but asked to see the manager and presented him with...

Passport with thai elite visa.

Rental agreement.

Thai driving licence.

Marriage cert.

Wifes ID card.

Wife's tabien baan.

Wife's bank card from his own branch.

My BKK bank details.

Showed him my Buddha round my neck 😂😂

And with a smile said "how can you refuse me"

He laughed and opened an account for me

The app works beautifully btw 😄😄😄

• Thanks 1
On 3/13/2020 at 4:13 PM, pixeltrix said:

Is possible to open bank account on non imigrant 90 days B visa?

I have a Bangkok Bank account with about 200,000 baht, but it's in Buriram and I wanted to open one with Bankok Bank in Jomtien, where I want to get the "retirement" visa. Was in Laos for 2 years and only have tourist visa now, but do have condo rental. However, they refused, even though I am an existing customer. I may try a different branch just to be sure.

They said, much as in the old thread in CharlieH's post, that without a work permit or condo ownership, I need a certified letter from Embassy to confirm my passport isn't fake or a letter from one of my UK or USA banks. Showing them electronically or whatever is apparently way too modern for Thailand.

Going to try the bank first, as there is no way I am going up to BKK to my Embassy with Covid-19 ongoing. There are online options with the Embassies, but they are expensive and slow.

• 4 months later...

My experience so far:

Corporate at Bangkok Bank: both paperwork and the online bank is seriously insane, but it all worked well with papers from my lawyer & a newly formed company.

SCB with work permit: not too hard, some extra scrutiny of passport, but GREAT app that totally worked right out of the box.

TMB with work permit & no english: kinda fun with 3-5 of the ladies plodding on until it was up and running 🙂

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2020 at 11:46 AM, stoicccc said:

Which SCB branch opens accounts for farang without work permit? I have NON-O based on Thai spouse.

All my accounts have been opened without a work permit, 4 of them SCB in 2 different branches & have/had accounts in 6 banks over the years. Your taking either your spouse or a Thai friend with an account in that branch makes life easier.

You give no location information so there is no point in giving any to you.

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2020 at 8:49 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

All my accounts have been opened without a work permit, 4 of them SCB in 2 different branches & have/had accounts in 6 banks over the years. Your taking either your spouse or a Thai friend with an account in that branch makes life easier.

On 9/8/2020 at 8:49 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

Latest update 21st October 2020.

I have held a very active Kassikorn Bank account since 2013 with their Jomtien Branch (Close to Immigration). As my pension has just kicked in (October 2020), I wanted to open a second bank account with Kassikorn for my monthly pension payments to ensure that these were seperate from my daily living costs account. I didn't only go to Kassikorn, I also tried SCB ... Here are the actual results. No fabrication and No Joke, this is the actual truth .. hot off the press so to speak.

1. Kassikorn bank (Jomtien Branch) told me that I am only allowed one savings account with them and therefore refused a second account request. They told me that I could open a DEPOSIT account whereby I would have to deposit a minimum of THB 200K. This money could not be touched for a minimum period of 6 months with an interest rate of 0.54%. Of course I declined.

2. SCB

Siam Commercial Bank (Bid C Extra, Pattaya Klang). Tried to open a new account with the SCB. They were not interested, contrary to previous posts. The very first question on enquiring if I could open a new account with them was .. "Do you have a work Permit" to which I responded that Farangs with retirement visas are not allowed to work so no, no work permit. This fell upon deaf ears and then she asked me if I owned property. I answered No, I rent property as I have done for the past 5 years, She then asked me if I was married. Again my answer was No. End of conversation. Sorry mister, you cannot open a bank account with SCB.

Enough said.... Not a single retiree has a work permit. We are RETIRED (Comprende). There are tens of thousands living and spending in Thailand daily, legally, with all documentation readily available from immigration. Many of us don't own our own homes and too many are not married. I also questioned this with the branch manager who told me that he would allow it if he could but this is the new law. Strange that other banks no nothing about this new law.

Eventually I went to Krungsri in Soi Khao Noi. Where I had almost accepted bureaucratic defeat, it transpires that it is actually possible to open a new bank account with the minimum of fuss. Opened a new account, received a debit card, Mobile app installation by the helpfull lady and all this with an interest rate of 1.10% per month on your actual balance, calculated on a monthly basis. Dedbit card charge is THB 498.00 for 3 years and useable with all ATM's.

After my hallowing experiences of the past few days, I cannot recommend Krungsri Bank highly enough who are accommodating and flexible. All that was needed was a residence letter from Immigration.

Moral of the story is ... The big banks seem to making the rules up as they go. One says this, another says that. The law of the land should be made clear and adopted by all. Sadly this does not appear to be the case.

I have been visting Thailand since 2007 and living here since 2015. This is my very first post on the Thai Visa Forum because I feel the need to inform of updates on the forever changing environmement in which we choose to live.

Any contrary experiences would be appreciated.

21 minutes ago, speedbird111 said:

Moral of the story is ... The big banks seem to making the rules up as they go. One says this, another says that. The law of the land should be made clear and adopted by all.

Who the banks accept as customers has nothing much to do with law.

individual managers, both account and branch, decide who they will accept as a customer. It has always been like this here from the first time I opened an account in the 1980s (on a visa exempt entry) to now.

Different branches have different rules not to mention that different people in the same branch can have different rules, these are variable depending on many factors including if you are accompanied by a Thai 

There is little consistency apart from US citizens having a more difficult time because of the reports needed for them.

Edited by sometimewoodworker