Bank Savings Interest Rates 2021

9 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

What's the account with the best interest rate to deposit about 5 million? I was looking into CIMB Preferred that apparently gives a 1.6% and nice benefits (airport limo, spa and more) but maybe there is something better.

Be careful with CIMB Preferred, many of the best deals are for Thai's only, which is why I moved to UOB. But 1.6% for up to one year sounds as good as it gets right now, you'll be hard pressed to find much better than that.

• Like 1

After letting CIMB take the lead in 2019, LH is now fighting back with 9 months 1.6%, 12 months 1.75% and 24 months 1.80%.

https://www.lhbank.co.th/Rate/Deposit

But they are a PIA when it comes to annual tax withholding certificates, because their system spits out one sheet per month per account. If I talk to a female staff I can usually persuade them to do a manual summary if I come back an hour later, but with male staff they won't. Every other bank I deal with can output just one sheet per account.

I still prefer Thanachart's e-Savings account at 1.5% for short-term savings.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 12:07 PM, orientalist said:

But they are a PIA when it comes to annual tax withholding certificates, because their system spits out one sheet per month per account.

Strange as I have never had this from them. Always one sheet per account last 4 years or so although this year I did get 2 from one bank but cannot remember if from them or a different one. 

Well, my first year with them I got a summary, the second year a female clerk wanted me to accept 12 pages and then reluctantly did a manual summary, then this year the po-faced male clerk told me one page per month was the only way he could do it. Even crappy Krung Thai can click a button and give me a one-page summary in 2 minutes.

• 1 month later...

SCB EZ Saver. No fixed term. 1.5% up to 5 million baht, paid June and December.

Access via SCB Easy App only. Doesn't work through the browser online banking. No passbook.

Foreigners need to open in branch.

I need to put 400k away for a few years. No immigration requirements. Anything better?

Edited by naboo
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder if someone can help before i go off half cocked in the bank.

FTD SCB last contract was for 7 month special 1.8% expired 22-2-2020

Since it was started between 18-5-2019 and 22-8-2019 reading their website i thought it would be rolled over again for same rate and time.

When i updated the book they have rolled it on for 3 months at .6%.

Am i missing something?

6 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Since it was started between 18-5-2019 and 22-8-2019 reading their website i thought it would be rolled over again for same rate and time.

Am i missing something?

I doubt any bank is going to do that when rates could change dramatically after it was taken out. Even if their web site suggests that it is probably a poor translation. 

Just close it and put it in a different account - the one naboo mentions or the Jad Term which I think is the same 1.5% but can be accessed online.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2020 at 4:31 PM, saengd said:

Be careful with CIMB Preferred, many of the best deals are for Thai's only, which is why I moved to UOB. But 1.6% for up to one year sounds as good as it gets right now, you'll be hard pressed to find much better than that.

I think the rate has dropped since January.

I always put my money in Krungsri bank, their rates have been quite good but I need to compare with UOB.

Which UOB branch do you recommend?

6 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Am i missing something?

You are supposed to go there to select a new scheme on maturity date.

If you don't, the bank will automatically rollover for a lower rate, it is written on the contract.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2020 at 2:04 PM, farmerjo said:

Went into SCB today,the best they offered was 12 month FTD @ .9% so grabbed that.

LH BANK 1.60% 12months.over 500k.interest paid monthly.

better still is thai credit union.but take a thai with you,so to understand whats required.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2020 at 9:34 AM, prakhonchai nick said:

Kasikorn bank paid me 850 baht interest yesterday for the half year on my savings account. They deducted tax at 15%

My wife received a similar amount of interest. No tax deducted!

WHY?

Racism?

Nothing to do with racism. Beginning last year Thai banks are obligated to withhold 15% tax on savings accounts unless they have the customers tax ID on file. If the bank have the tax ID they will report the paid interest to the Revenue department, and the Revenue department will then determine if you have a tax obligation. For Thais their national ID number acts as tax ID, so the bank will not have to withhold tax.

You can go to your local Revenue office and ask for a Thai tax ID and when issued take it to your bank. The bank will then stop withholding tax on your account.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 9:38 AM, RupertBear said:

LH BANK 1.60% 12months.over 500k.interest paid monthly.

better still is thai credit union.but take a thai with you,so to understand whats required.

Remember ....... Thai credit unions do not offer protection for your money. ????

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 12:24 PM, thequietman said:

Remember ....... Thai credit unions do not offer protection for your money. ????

They aren't accepted by immigration, either.  But, I believe LH Bank is a regular Thai Bank on the approved list.

June dates at CIMB:

IMG_20200623_073456.thumb.jpg.817430111897a7c8023234f9a87ba2d9.jpg

Edited by moontang

On 5/15/2020 at 12:43 AM, orientalist said:

Thanachart still has 1.5% for their eSavings account.

CIMB offered me fixed 11 months at  1.2% or SpeedSavings at 1.35% over 100K today.

The gimmick with the Esavings accounts is they often only offer the great rate for small amounts...at CIMB, it is 2%, but only good for first 50,000...and no telling what kind of immigration nightmare that could cause without a book.

On 5/15/2020 at 12:43 AM, orientalist said:

Thanachart still has 1.5% for their eSavings account.

CIMB offered me fixed 11 months at  1.2% or SpeedSavings at 1.35% over 100K today.

Looks to me like it is now 1.3% at Thanachart...and might be problematic at immigration, even though that bank has deposit insurance and are on the approved list.

Screenshot_20200623-074402.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, moontang said:

Looks to me like it is now 1.3% at Thanachart...and might be problematic at immigration, even though that bank has deposit insurance and are on the approved list.

Well, that's disappointing, but I suppose it was inevitable. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about Immigration.

28 minutes ago, orientalist said:

Well, that's disappointing, but I suppose it was inevitable. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about Immigration.

That is still one of the better deals... unfortunately, I found their merger partner to be the most foreigner unfriendly, obnoxious, arrogant bunch in the entire country...so that would DQ them.  Always a few, who will say it has been smooth, though.  Let's see what it is next month...

If you have money stuck here, not worried about imm, and are 55+, the CIMB deal up to 1.5 mllion, at 1.5%, without tax withholding, is better, but for a year...and you would be guaranteed that rate for the year..paid monthly..looks like rates are headed down, for the rest of the year IMO, and sounds almost like science fiction, but negative rates in Thailand are a remote possibility, which is kind of shocking for a developing nation.  The days of big deposits greeted by big smiles are long gone, for now.

Edited by moontang

12 minutes ago, moontang said:

That is still one of the better deals... unfortunately, I found their merger partner to be the most foreigner unfriendly, obnoxious, arrogant bunch in the entire country...so that would DQ them.

I was with Siam City for years before it became Thanachart and have been happy with them. Let's hope things don't change. I still get New Year presents from my original branch, but when my last fixed deposit with them matures next month, I'll only stay for the e-Savings account. Their mobile app used to be OK, but now it is slow. I prefer K-bank's app and LH or CIMB for fixed deposits.

15 minutes ago, orientalist said:

I was with Siam City for years before it became Thanachart and have been happy with them. Let's hope things don't change. I still get New Year presents from my original branch, but when my last fixed deposit with them matures next month, I'll only stay for the e-Savings account. Their mobile app used to be OK, but now it is slow. I prefer K-bank's app and LH or CIMB for fixed deposits.

I started in the basement if airport plazza Chiang Mai, where all the big banks have branches..it is almost a mini financial district..lots of older dough going through there.  It was a great place to compare rates, and almost as important their attitudes (as well as the sexiness of the tellers)..but when someone pulling rules out of their <deleted>, it is usually some kind of management wannabee, but I could forget what a dick the guy at TMB was if I wanted to..and then you simply walk next door, get much better rates, and are debating starting a family with one of the tellers.  A few of them do a bit of a dance with the currency counter, it is better than most pole dancers, especially in this dark era of braces, blue hair, and sleeve tattoos.

Edited by moontang