"Three things the virus does not like: 1. Sunlight, 2. Temperature, and 3. Humidity,"

Don Chance

Three things the virus has new found affection for 1. Italians 2. Koreans 3. Americans.

In short, anyone who won't go home when they're told and stay there. There'll be another surge after the weekend after they all go to church.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

So the virus is going to love the Bangkok shopping malls normally full of Chinese tourists. Low sunlight, low humidity and low temperatures.

You don't actually believe there have only been 50 cases in Thailand do you?

You think Chinese tourists stay in those malls 24 hours a day?

I heard they have closing times , and then even the last customer has get out and back in the heat an humidity of Bangkok.

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Susco said:

You think Chinese tourists stay in those malls 24 hours a day?

I heard they have closing times , and then even the last customer has get out and back in the heat an humidity of Bangkok.

So what? If they caught the virus in China it doesn't suddenly disappear as soon as they get out into the heat of Bangkok.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tlandtday said:

So the op is buying the thai figures... what about california, florida, australia, indonesia, malaysia, singapore and airconditioned areas like hospitals, airports, etc.. it all comes down to honest reporting.   You are taking the govt numbers at face value which is a mistake.  No testing equals no reporting... wake up folks.  Unfortunately it's here!

No doubt there is some in Thailand but it is nothing like Italy or Korea. It is not multiplying exponentially like other countries. It would have happened by now.

Also look at all the open food markets! You are nuts if you eat anything from trays sitting out in the open. But despite this it doesn't seem so bad, you can't hide it if there are 1000's of cases.

Edited by Don Chance
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

So the virus is going to love the Bangkok shopping malls normally full of Chinese tourists. Low sunlight, low humidity and low temperatures.

You don't actually believe there have only been 50 cases in Thailand do you?

300 cases whatever

Roads are the real killers

Or heart disease and strokes

• Confused 1

So you are getting your facts on accuweather that got it from a leaked document? 

I don't say it is wrong they are even right about the half life of the virus according to serious studies. However, it ignores the fact that most Thai don't stay under the sun and many of them are in AC cooled environment. 

"Compared to SARS and MERS, we are talking about a coronavirus that has a mortality rate of eight to 10 times less deadly to SARS to MERS," Nicholls said. "So, a correct comparison is not SARS or MERS but a severe cold. Basically, this is a severe form of the cold."

Yes, let's ignore the degree of contagiousness. What could go wrong when the healthcare system get overwhelmed by patients who can't breath? Or put another way it has some symptoms comparable to a flu but it is 10-30 times more deadly and we don't have reliable treatment or vaccine. 

"The virus can remain intact at 4 degrees (39 degrees Fahrenheit) or 10 degrees (50 F) for a longer period of time" 

Not sure why it would be relevant. One study found that the virus can remain active at 4C suspended in a liquid for 9 days under perfect lab condition. It is a lot less in a normal environment. 

I hope I'm wrong and Thailand's weather is really the reason the cases number is so low but I'm sceptical. I think it might slow down the epidemic but probably not prevent it. Time will tell. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Tayaout said:

So you are getting your facts on accuweather that got it from a leaked document? 

I don't say it is wrong they are even right about the half life of the virus according to serious studies. However, it ignores the fact that most Thai don't stay under the sun and many of them are in AC cooled environment. 

"Compared to SARS and MERS, we are talking about a coronavirus that has a mortality rate of eight to 10 times less deadly to SARS to MERS," Nicholls said. "So, a correct comparison is not SARS or MERS but a severe cold. Basically, this is a severe form of the cold."

Yes, let's ignore the degree of contagiousness. What could go wrong when the healthcare system get overwhelmed by patients who can't breath? Or put another way it has some symptoms comparable to a flu but it is 10-30 times more deadly and we don't have reliable treatment or vaccine. 

"The virus can remain intact at 4 degrees (39 degrees Fahrenheit) or 10 degrees (50 F) for a longer period of time" 

Not sure why it would be relevant. One study found that the virus can remain active at 4C suspended in a liquid for 9 days under perfect lab condition. It is a lot less in a normal environment. 

I hope I'm wrong and Thailand's weather is really the reason the cases number is so low but I'm sceptical. I think it might slow down the epidemic but probably not prevent it. Time will tell. 

A lot of delusional people.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

Don't forget also that Italy and S. Korea are testing 1,000s of people. How many are being tested here? The more you test, the more you'll find.

Yes, the test in Italy is free, everyone can go to the hospital and test for free (this is not the same in country with no Free Health Care like Thailand is), and about the region Lombardia the authorities are literally testing randomly.

Many nation don't do test? Many hide the numbers, like Germany are doing, to less damage on their economy

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zhounan said:

Yes, the test in Italy is free, everyone can go to the hospital and test for free (this is not the same in country with no Free Health Care like Thailand is), and about the region Lombardia the authorities are literally testing randomly.

Many nation don't do test? Many hide the numbers, like Germany are doing, to less damage on their economy

Thailand simply does not want the expense or negatives associated with tests showing positive.  They would rather try to suppress information while welcoming Chinese by the busload.  So much for the 30 baht healthcare bs. 

Edited by tlandtday
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Good advice.

I will make sure I don't suspend myself in liquid at 4C for 9 days under perfect lab conditions any time soon.

I'll leave it a week or two.

• Haha 2