What Laptop.

NoshowJones

I have had a Lenovo all in one desktop for nearly two years and it has not been the best, after more problems, I have decided to replace it

with a laptop. budget about 15.000 Baht, not interested in gaming, just normal use.

Would obviously want a make with a big screen.

Any recommendations? Except of course Lenovo.

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

I'm sure that you were advised against an AIO prior to the time of purchase. 

What problems are you having with it? 

Late last year it started freezing up in all sorts of ways and the local computer shop fixed it, it was fine until now, I took it back, he said he fixed it again, but when I brought it home it was just as bad. I will never trust Lenovo again.

I don't remember being advised against it, but one poster, I think it was Jingthing, recommended it.

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Not if he wants a large screen laptop. No new 17.3" screens in his price range.

So he'll be dropping down considerably when it comes to screen size.

No one here listens anyway...

I do.

• Like 1

Got three Lenovo laptops right now ranging in age from approx 5 years old to only a few months....all three work like a charm...have had no problems.  Latest addition is their P53 laptop (a high end model) which I got a few months ago when on sale.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

i don't think you're doing yourself a favour by excluding Lenovo (or any other make that you just had a problem with) from your list ... the problem is not likely to be hardware-related ... open up any laptop and you'll find 90% of the components common to all of them.

Neither is it likely to be the hard-to-pin-anyone-down-on-what-they-actually-mean-by  "build quality" , if any major manufacturer consistently built to a lower standard than the others then they would eventually exit the market. Lenovo, HP, Asus et al have been around for a long time with comparable market shares. Brand loyalty is low. You can safely assume they all know how to build a laptop/desktop.

imo problems are far more likely to be software related ... "freezing up in all sorts of ways" of course cannot help anyone here diagnose your problem but again imo those symptoms are typically due to for example ... viruses, incompatible virus checkers, a dud update (Windows i assume), out-of-date drivers etc etc etc.

If you had been in the position of returning the thing to Lenovo and receiving it back your in a still-dud condition then i'd be the first to agree, add Lenovo to a blacklist on the basis of poor support. But you mention you gave it to a local shop (presumably not a Lenovo agent?) Is it possible they simply failed to identify a software issue entirely unrelated to Lenovo?

A bit like getting a dud tank of fuel into your Ford ... if it carks it would it be sensible to never consider a Ford again?

Finally, i have no connection with or particular fondness for Lenovo, i actually prefer Asus (the build quality is great!).

Troll alert: don't bother, i am no longer following this thread and yes it is a small font, i want your eyes to hurt.

I took my Lenovo tablet under warranty to their place in Fortune Town, I was told to bring it back in about 5 days as there was no one available to fix it. I would say that is as good a reason as anything not to trust them.

My nearly 14 year old Dell's graphic card is going kaput (nVidia) , last week first sign of video memory failure.

I went to look for some new one at JIB , it was very disappointing . No 17 inch screens . Hardware from 2 -3 years ago . Only lenovo and HP have onsite waranty , which seems to be , a lenovo or HP tech comes to fix it at the JIB store within a week.

The others (asus , acer,..) , you loose it 3 to 4 weeks for a repair ?

Bigger choice on their website but only order.

Another thing is , all the keyboards have thai letters on them.

With the corona virus , flying to europe is not an option , to buy a decent one. Can't go to Bangkok ... because of the corona.

And the same sh-t when it needs repair.

Sorry not to have a balcony to jump off from when my Dell croaks.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Late last year it started freezing up in all sorts of ways and the local computer shop fixed it, it was fine until now, I took it back, he said he fixed it again, but when I brought it home it was just as bad. I will never trust Lenovo again.

I don't remember being advised against it, but one poster, I think it was Jingthing, recommended it.

Let's take a look at the spec. Do you have the full model number at hand?

3 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Let's take a look at the spec. Do you have the full model number at hand?

Here is what's on the receipt. Product Code. 192563889939.

Lenovo Desktop. AIO. 330-201GM-FOD7001MTA W. Hope this helps, and thanks.

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Here is what's on the receipt. Product Code. 192563889939.

Lenovo Desktop. AIO. 330-201GM-FOD7001MTA W. Hope this helps, and thanks.

Not much data available for the issue, though it's seems that you are not the only one.

I have had to have a bigger memory installed. It comes with Windows 10 but the capacity is too small to handle windows 10 and kept crashing / freezing even with nothing else open.

But we don't know if that solved the issue.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/hk/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/300-series/aio-330-20ast/diagnostics

19 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Buy a laptop you are comfortable to travel with. 

Then by a separate screen and keyboard. 

Plug in the laptop to the big screen and normal keyboard when you are home. 

You get the benefit of a nice home setup and be able to take your computer anywhere. 

That is very interesting indeed, I already have a separate screen and keyboard, how do you

plug the laptop into the big screen, is it by a USB in some connection? Sorry to be so dumb about this.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I have had a Lenovo all in one desktop for nearly two years and it has not been the best, after more problems, I have decided to replace it

with a laptop. budget about 15.000 Baht, not interested in gaming, just normal use.

Would obviously want a make with a big screen.

Any recommendations? Except of course Lenovo.

You won't be able to buy a new quality notebook for 15k!

Lenovo ThinkPads are great quality. You can get a good 2nd hand one for < 15k.

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?from=input&q=thinkpad&location=local&price=10000-15000

13 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

That is very interesting indeed, I already have a separate screen and keyboard, how do you

plug the laptop into the big screen, is it by a USB in some connection? Sorry to be so dumb about this.

Laptops will have a separate output for an external screen - Depending on the model of laptop it can be anything from a VGA port (older laptops) to a HDMI (mini format) for the latest laptops ... 

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It depends on the available connections on the notebook and on the screen.

HDMI is a modern high quality connection which is on many new screens and notebooks.

Don't use converters (i.e. HDMI to VGA) if you can avoid them.

Connection-guide-2-1030x728.png

Just a curious what the technical issue with using a converter - VGA to HDMI or similar ...  I tend to use them with my older Lenovo X201 when not able to plug into a compatible monitor

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?from=input&q=thinkpad&location=local&price=10000-15000

YES YES ???? .. I have always bought second hand Think-pads - Great robust machines, X201, P50, X60, ...   I think the X201 i7 fitted with a SDD and max ram is a great bargain .. Easy to travel with - and used with a external monitor 'when back at base' ...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sorry, I know everyone has different experiences, I have had bother with all my Lenovos, laptop, tablet, and desktop, I just don't trust Lenovo, and their after sales service really sucks.

42 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Buy a laptop you are comfortable to travel with. 

Then by a separate screen and keyboard. 

Plug in the laptop to the big screen and normal keyboard when you are home. 

You get the benefit of a nice home setup and be able to take your computer anywhere. 

Great reply. I like that idea. My desktop of 12 years just gave out. And my Compaq Laptop of 9 years is also giving me problems. I have a nice big ViewSonic monitor that I can use and a lighted Logitech keyboard and Mouse also. I was going to build another Desktop but this idea is cheaper and better. I can still use old monitor, keyboard and mouse.

• Thanks 1