What Laptop.

NoshowJones

10 minutes ago, Sumarianson said:

HP are rubbish and should be avoided at all costs. I bought a new one and even though I did not use it for a year or so ( still in box) it got a pink screen after a short few months of use but HP did not repair as it was over 12 months old. Look up Pink screen on laptop and avoid those makes.

I advise ACER I got one for myself 15 years ago and it served me well. I bought one for my daughter and she loves it. Very reliable make and fast too. 

Each person has different experiences and opinions, I guess. My next Laptop will also be a HP.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

OP,I don't think that your problems are hardware related.

Freezing in, etc are typically software problems. Wrong drivers, Windows updates and fishy "free programs'.

If I would have to buy a notebook, I'd go for a DELL.

But if you continue to use a dodgy computer shop where they are using highly infected external hard drives and memory sticks, you'll have the same issues with any other machine.

There are always different models in different brands that are a problem model - there is no guaranteed brand that has all models will be good.  But having said that - the following brands are often better than the others overall:  Lenovo, HP and Dell. They are the biggest sellers for a simple reason - corporate buyers look for relaibility first.  After those big 3 I think that both Acer, Asus and Toshiba are often OK (some sticker lines). Apple of course are the best and most reliable - and most expensive - I use Windows so Apple is not for me.

What I recommend you do is look at the features of the models (CPU, RAM, SSHDD, etc) from one of those big three brands and compare pricing and warranty if buying new - and buy extended warranty if available. Look for 1-2 year old models on sale because there is a new model on market so they are clearing out the old models.  Buy online of course and get delivered. 

But wait - the world economies are doing it tough. Wait for a while - 1 month? - serious specials will be offered when they trade volumes start to drop - PC companies are all about volume - drops in sale volumes will be met with specials - they always work.  But dont tell anyone else, as they will do the same ????

56 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

OP,I don't think that your problems are hardware related.

Freezing in, etc are typically software problems. Wrong drivers, Windows updates and fishy "free programs'.

If I would have to buy a notebook, I'd go for a DELL.

But if you continue to use a dodgy computer shop where they are using highly infected external hard drives and memory sticks, you'll have the same issues with any other machine.

Actually, they might well be hardware-related.

Abrupt freezing can occur due to the OS attempting to read/write data within bad sectors on a HDD (especially older, mechanical HDDs)

This is exactly what happened with 2 old Acer laptops that I had - replaced existing HDD's with SSD's and everything was fine.

Edited by varun

Brought an Acer Swift 3 at Bannana Hua Hin 2 weeks ago. 15 inch screen, 8GB ram 516 ssd. Bit heavier on the lap than my 14 inch Acer, which was steam driven. Compares with my android phone which has 4GB ram. Boot time less than 10 seconds. Falls in your price range. 

Never going back to HDD and when my HP all in one desktop HDD fails again will fit SSD. Test drive at Bannana if there one near you. 

6 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

HP are rubbish and should be avoided at all costs. I bought a new one and even though I did not use it for a year or so ( still in box) it got a pink screen after a short few months of use but HP did not repair as it was over 12 months old. Look up Pink screen on laptop and avoid those makes.

I advise ACER I got one for myself 15 years ago and it served me well. I bought one for my daughter and she loves it. Very reliable make and fast too. 

I just bought an Acer from IT for 8.890 Bt, 15ins screen. I like the idea one poster said about connecting it to a monitor and keyboard which I already have.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I just bought an Acer from IT for 8.890 Bt, 15ins screen. I like the idea one poster said about connecting it to a monitor and keyboard which I already have.

So now do a clean install of W10 to get rid of any bloat-ware or malware which may be on your system.

Get the W10 from Microsoft directly onto a USB stick.

On 3/10/2020 at 4:20 PM, possum1931 said:

Late last year it started freezing up in all sorts of ways and the local computer shop fixed it, it was fine until now, I took it back, he said he fixed it again, but when I brought it home it was just as bad. I will never trust Lenovo again.

I don't remember being advised against it, but one poster, I think it was Jingthing, recommended it.

Freezing can be due to many factors, not only software.

Heat due to dust clogging the fan is common. A componant maybe failing and generating heat. Sometimes, the processor itself can be the culprit (AMD or Celeron (I cannot remember which), is notoriuos for heaing up.

A power wash is basically a factory reset. Only takes a couple of minutes and the machine is back to factory new condition. After you do a power wash, you log back into your Google account,  sync everything back up and in a matter of minutes you're up and running. 

4 hours ago, stouricks said:

So now do a clean install of W10 to get rid of any bloat-ware or malware which may be on your system.

Get the W10 from Microsoft directly onto a USB stick.

My new laptop has got windows installed.

8 hours ago, TD2312 said:

A power wash is basically a factory reset. Only takes a couple of minutes and the machine is back to factory new condition. After you do a power wash, you log back into your Google account,  sync everything back up and in a matter of minutes you're up and running. 

Yeah ive googled it, seems it is a chromebook thing.

4 hours ago, stouricks said:

Is it a genuine copy or not?

Which make did you go for?

I bought an Acer Aspire 3 from IT in Nakhon Sawan, it comes with a two year warranty.

I asked them about it being a genuine copy of Windows 10, and was told yes, surely IT would not sell a brand new laptop without a genuine copy of Windows 10.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I bought an Acer Aspire 3 from IT in Nakhon Sawan, it comes with a two year warranty.

I asked them about it being a genuine copy of Windows 10, and was told yes, surely IT would not sell a brand new laptop without a genuine copy of Windows 10.

I'm sure IT would only sell computers with an operating system with a genuine license.

Anyway there are ways to check if the OS is genuine in the windows settings - system info and activation settings.

One could also run a simple cmd prompt to check the windows license status

"wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey'' and "slmgr.vbs/dlv"

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2020 at 1:16 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I won't force you to buy anything you don't want.

But you might find it interesting that almost all IT professionals recommend ThinkPads.

Because Lenovo, like many brands, have cheap consumer products and some have also professional products.

The ThinkPads (especially the T series) are very good in many ways. Great mechanical protection, great quality build, software support for many years even after the 3 year warranty is expired, ...

ThinkPads will always be my first choice for notebooks and if I had a 15k budget a 2nd hand ThinkPad would be my first choice.

But that of course is only IMHO.

To add to that...

Lenovo(Legend) was just an 'unknown' Chinese company with lots of money at their disposal. So they bought IBM in 2005 so as to get International recognition.

IBM were famous for their solid business devices.

So Lenovo still pushes out solid business devices based on IBM's principles. Their consumer division still pushes out Chinese tat.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 6:04 AM, varun said:

Actually, they might well be hardware-related.

Abrupt freezing can occur due to the OS attempting to read/write data within bad sectors on a HDD (especially older, mechanical HDDs)

This is exactly what happened with 2 old Acer laptops that I had - replaced existing HDD's with SSD's and everything was fine.

This is certainly possible. But unfortunately, with it being an AIO, the likelihood of the OP attempting a repair on his own is quite low. Shame to discard the thing so soon.

15 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

To add to that...

Lenovo(Legend) was just an 'unknown' Chinese company with lots of money at their disposal. So they bought IBM in 2005 so as to get International recognition.

IBM were famous for their solid business devices.

So Lenovo still pushes out solid business devices based on IBM's principles. Their consumer division still pushes out Chinese tat.

Is it ONLY the West that can do anything well?

Why are so many Western companies now depending on China?

This is obviously a face saving game, no doubt.

Look, hoe China managed the Corona.

2 hours ago, userabcd said:

I'm sure IT would only sell computers with an operating system with a genuine license.

Anyway there are ways to check if the OS is genuine in the windows settings - system info and activation settings.

One could also run a simple cmd prompt to check the windows license status

"wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey'' and "slmgr.vbs/dlv"

Even this does not prove 100% that the OS is genuine but It will certainly help show when the installation has been activated by means of a dodgy KMS server or KMSpico hack, 

If the OS has been activated by a MAK key or other key that was not intended for a home user, you would need specific knowledge to identify this.  Also, in some circumstances, depending on how the installation was done, it may show a generic product key.  

Also, there are crack methods that trick MS servers into accepting W10 as real when it is not.

On 3/11/2020 at 11:39 AM, possum1931 said:

I was thinking about a new laptop to replace my Lenovo all in one, it has been a disaster.

And again:  I am 99% sure there is nothing wrong with your hardware, which is what we are discussing.  You are describing classic software symptoms, and malware behavior.  Let me know how much you want for the laptop.  I will have it running top speed ASAP!

7 hours ago, bangkokequity said:

And again:  I am 99% sure there is nothing wrong with your hardware, which is what we are discussing.  You are describing classic software symptoms, and malware behavior.  Let me know how much you want for the laptop.  I will have it running top speed ASAP!

It's not a laptop, it's an All In One Desktop. Keep up. ????

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ravip said:

Is it ONLY the West that can do anything well?

Why are so many Western companies now depending on China?

This is obviously a face saving game, no doubt.

Look, hoe China managed the Corona.

They surrendered their manufacturing capabilities in order to make more profit.

Chinese became adept at reverse engineering and indulge in intellectual property theft. Want a high quality fake Rolex, you'll find them in China.

Face saving game? This is a thread about a new laptop.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

They surrendered their manufacturing capabilities in order to make more profit.

Chinese became adept at reverse engineering and indulge in intellectual property theft. Want a high quality fake Rolex, you'll find them in China.

Face saving game? This is a thread about a new laptop.

Thank you for your comment, SIR.

Was replying to your "Their consumer division still pushes out Chinese tat" in the new laptop thread

2 hours ago, ravip said:

Thank you for your comment, SIR.

Was replying to your "Their consumer division still pushes out Chinese tat" in the new laptop thread

It does. 

It's generally agreed that the ThinkPads, formerly from IBM are their best products. I'm guessing that if they have any other good products, they are based on those principles.

With their consumer products, you'll be lucky to get any support for an endemic issue. You see it on their forums all the time. CPU throttled down because the case is to slim to allow adequate cooling? Tough luck, we are too busy churning out other tat to engineer a fix.

I actually have a new mid-range Lenovo laptop. I got it for free.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

Even this does not prove 100% that the OS is genuine but It will certainly help show when the installation has been activated by means of a dodgy KMS server or KMSpico hack, 

If the OS has been activated by a MAK key or other key that was not intended for a home user, you would need specific knowledge to identify this.  Also, in some circumstances, depending on how the installation was done, it may show a generic product key.  

Also, there are crack methods that trick MS servers into accepting W10 as real when it is not.

No specific knowledge needed.

https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases/download/ShowKeyPlus7060/ShowKeyPlus1.0.7060.zip

12 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

It's not a laptop, it's an All In One Desktop. Keep up. ????

Oh, sorry.  Not in the market for a boat anchor.  People still buy these things?  Wow. 

On 3/11/2020 at 9:29 AM, varun said:

For Windows laptops, I have generally had a very good experience with Dell.

Great battery life, solid construction and good choice of models/product ranges,

depending on the intended application - office/home use/power-user/gamer etc.

Prices are very reasonable as well - Dell accessories are also excellent, especially their monitors.

Yeah...I have bought successive Business Dell Latitudes...they refurb them and sell them after 3 year business leases...rock solid..and you get a computer originall selling for 35,000 baht for about 10-12,000. My current E6440...4 years and still going strong. Original battery still runs 3 to 4 hours !