What Laptop.

NoshowJones

55 minutes ago, ravip said:

And for what type of applications and purposes do you use this beast? Any special stuff?

Bit of video editing, but mainly for word processing, surfing the net and watching docs. It's a gaming computer so it can easily multi task, and with a SDD and HDD, I have tons of storage space.

• Thanks 1

On 3/12/2020 at 3:09 PM, Eindhoven said:

This is certainly possible. But unfortunately, with it being an AIO, the likelihood of the OP attempting a repair on his own is quite low. Shame to discard the thing so soon.

Yes, I took my Lenovo AIO to the local computer shop, and it still keeps freezing up, just a pile of rubbish, I now have a Acer

Aspire 3 in it's place. I also have a Lenovo tablet which has always been problematic, I cannot even get Bluetooth to work on it.

No more lenovo for me.

Just now, possum1931 said:

Yes, I took my Lenovo AIO to the local computer shop, and it still keeps freezing up, just a pile of rubbish, I now have a Acer

Aspire 3 in it's place. I also have a Lenovo tablet which has always been problematic, I cannot even get Bluetooth to work on it.

No more lenovo for me.

Problem is that you cannot indicate what steps were taken thus far by the places you have taken it to be 'repaired'. Did they tell you exactly what they tried or what they saw as the issue?

So we cannot use the process of elimination to work out what is wrong, remotely.

Did they try different RAM modules and/or a different HDD/SSD?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Problem is that you cannot indicate what steps were taken thus far by the places you have taken it to be 'repaired'. Did they tell you exactly what they tried or what they saw as the issue?

So we cannot use the process of elimination to work out what is wrong, remotely.

Did they try different RAM modules and/or a different HDD/SSD?

In the small town/village where I stay, there is virtually no English speaking at all, so I cannot ask the computer shop guy anything. I would be surprised if he even knows one word of it.

As for the warranty, there are no Lenovo dealers I can take it to, I took my Lenovo Tablet to their premises in Bangkok and they said they would need to keep it for five days.

The nearest City Nakon Sawan is 60 Ks from me, and there is no Lenovo dealer there.

33 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

In the small town/village where I stay, there is virtually no English speaking at all, so I cannot ask the computer shop guy anything. I would be surprised if he even knows one word of it.

As for the warranty, there are no Lenovo dealers I can take it to, I took my Lenovo Tablet to their premises in Bangkok and they said they would need to keep it for five days.

The nearest City Nakon Sawan is 60 Ks from me, and there is no Lenovo dealer there.

Difficult. An AIO in your situation was never a good idea. <SNIP>

You need something that is simple and easy to service. The ThinkPad suggestion wasn't a bad one, as business devices are designed for easy servicing.

Consumer devices are designed to look sleek. Getting inside them can be a pain. The support for them can be poor, as compared to business devices which can still be getting BIOS updates many years later.

What is the full model number of the device you purchased? You do jump in headfirst. ????

Example: Acer Aspire 3 A315-55KG-38CE (NX.HEHST.002)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2020 at 9:57 AM, geronimo said:

Bit of video editing, but mainly for word processing, surfing the net and watching docs. It's a gaming computer so it can easily multi task, and with a SDD and HDD, I have tons of storage space.

What a silly statement. Almost any laptop even with a Celeron processor will be enough for word processing, surfing the net and watching docs (I take it you mean documentaries and not files in Word).....don't know about films or TV though!   555. And the 'tons' of storage space depends on the size of your SSD & HHD. You could have your OS on a 60GB SSD and a 256 GB HDD for all I know.

1 minute ago, stouricks said:

What a silly statement. Almost any laptop even with a Celeron processor will be enough for word processing, surfing the net and watching docs (I take it you mean documentaries and not files in Word).....don't know about films or TV though!   555. And the 'tons' of storage space depends on the size of your SSD & HHD. You could have your OS on a 60GB SSD and a 256 GB HDD for all I know.

A bit over the top. Nothing silly about his statements of simple facts.

Also 

• SSD 128 GB/256 GB/512 GB หรือ
  • HDD SATA 500 GB/1 TB/2 TB

is typical.

So 60 GB + 256 HDD would be impossible. Especially as there is no such thing as a 256 GB HDD. So that could qualify as a 'silly statement'.

Not sure why you appear to adjudge him so harshly.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

A bit over the top. Nothing silly about his statements of simple facts.

Also 

• SSD 128 GB/256 GB/512 GB หรือ
  • HDD SATA 500 GB/1 TB/2 TB

is typical.

So 60 GB + 256 HDD would be impossible. Especially as there is no such thing as a 256 GB HDD. So that could qualify as a 'silly statement'.

Not sure why you appear to adjudge him so harshly.

Sorry Mr Eindhoven, I was a bit harsh, but I actually do still have a 256 GB HDD, over 10 years old. A bit silly keeping it eh?

10 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Sorry Mr Eindhoven, I was a bit harsh, but I actually do still have a 256 GB HDD, over 10 years old. A bit silly keeping it eh?

????

Out of interest, what's the full model number of said HDD? That has to be a rare beast. 250 GB or 320 GB was normal. 256 GB? Interested.

3 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

????

Out of interest, what's the full model number of said HDD? That has to be a rare beast. 250 GB or 320 GB was normal. 256 GB? Interested.

Got me again, it IS a 250 GB Western Digital. But it looks like SSDs are available in 256 format.

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/solid-state-drives-ssd/silicon-power/256gb-p32a80-ssd-m-2-2280-pcie-gen3x2-nvme-1-2-sp256gbp32a80m28-p049195/

It is well documented on this thread about the Lenovo rubbish AIO desktop I bought, it is almost half way through a three year onsite warranty. I bought it at Fortune Town. I also bought a Lenovo tablet which is also rubbish, 

There is a lenovo dealer at Fortune Town, I took the tablet to them, but they are so unreliable about anyone being available to fix it, so I don't fancy taking it the AIO desktop to Bangkok which is over 300 Ks from where I live,

Anyone got any ideas as to what I should do to get it seen too? The nearest cities to me are Nakhon Sawan and Phitsanulok.

36 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Anyone got any ideas as to what I should do to get it seen too? The nearest cities to me are Nakhon Sawan and Phitsanulok.

Why don't "you" (not some shop) do a clean install of the OS and then see what happens...see if the problems go away.  Looking back through this thread indicates to me your whole problem could be simple software corruption but you seem to be convinced it's a hardware problem.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Pib said:

Why don't "you" (not some shop) do a clean install of the OS and then see what happens...see if the problems go away.  Looking back through this thread indicates to me your whole problem could be simple software corruption but you seem to be convinced it's a hardware problem.

You are thinking the same as me, 15 years ago i took an old pc Windows XP to a local it shop in Australia it just died with black screen and would not boot, they told me it was "corrupted" and not worth fixing and talked me into buying a pathetic little netbook.

Well 2 years ago i went through an old box of stuff and found the origional XP os disc and decided to pull the pc apart and found it would boot when i took the video card out, clean installed the os and it works fine as a back up pc.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

It is well documented on this thread about the Lenovo rubbish AIO desktop I bought, it is almost half way through a three year onsite warranty. I bought it at Fortune Town. I also bought a Lenovo tablet which is also rubbish, 

There is a lenovo dealer at Fortune Town, I took the tablet to them, but they are so unreliable about anyone being available to fix it, so I don't fancy taking it the AIO desktop to Bangkok which is over 300 Ks from where I live,

Still waiting for the full model number of the ACER. Like some on this thread, the thought is that you do not have genuine Windows 10 installed.

Likelihood is that you have bought yet another laptop with slow magnetic storage with a hooky copy of Windows 10 to boot..

Take it to the local Lenovo centre and get them to try it with different RAM/SSD......and get an SSD for your current laptop and clean install Windows 10 to it. 

18 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Still waiting for the full model number of the ACER. Like some on this thread, the thought is that you do not have genuine Windows 10 installed.

Likelihood is that you have bought yet another laptop with slow magnetic storage with a hooky copy of Windows 10 to boot..

Take it to the local Lenovo centre and get them to try it with different RAM/SSD......and get an SSD for your current laptop and clean install Windows 10 to it. 

Model No is acer Aspire3 CO6-008273.  A315-22-900l/A9. There is no local Lenovo centre that I know of, that is why I am asking.

2 hours ago, Pib said:

I am not computer literate enough to do what you say and the local computer shop guy does not know any English, if it is as simple as you say, and I am not saying that it isn't, then why can't the computer guy fix it, he has had it twice?

I have an original Lenovo AIO model from over 9 years ago and still will not fail.  Idea Center B310 model and believe only sold in China and Thailand.  But I did have issues when trying to use SSD as replacement for HDD as drive would become active every few minutes and lock system up for short periods (progressively getting more often) - nothing seemed to fix it and returned to using HDD with no further issues.  Windows installed graphic drivers did not work however on a fresh install but copied Windows 10 back from SSD successfully.  Computers can be so much fun.  But can not fault Lenovo construction.

Edited by lopburi3

I am not computer literate enough to do what you say and the local computer shop guy does not know any English, if it is as simple as you say, and I am not saying that it isn't, then why can't the computer guy fix it, he has had it twice?

Intel® Pentium® Silver J5005 Processor is not the worst processor in the world, but paired with old style magnetic storage, 4 GB of RAM and HP software bloat, you may not be getting the best out of it.

SSD should be a basic requirement in your case.

Until these avenues are tested, it's difficult to give any more advice.

Saying that, the CPU in your new laptop is possibly even worse...

Just now, lopburi3 said:

I have an original Lenovo AIO model from over 9 years ago and still will not fail.  Idea Center B310 model and believe only sold in China and Thailand.  But I did have issues when trying to use SDD as replacement for HDD as drive would become active every few minutes and lock system up for short periods (progressively getting more often) - nothing seemed to fix it and returned to using HDD with no further issues.  Windows installed graphic drivers did not work however on a fresh install but copied Windows 10 back from SDD successfully.  Computers can be so much fun.  But can not fault Lenovo construction.

Kingston A400 SSD? If so, the problem was with the SSD, not the AIO device.

26 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Model No is acer Aspire3 CO6-008273.  A315-22-900l/A9. There is no local Lenovo centre that I know of, that is why I am asking.

Yes. Rather unfortunate. You need to understand what the local shop attempted and then get back to us. Did he change the RAM or try an SSD? If not, he didn't do anything useful.

11 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

You don't even know what the computer shop guy did based on your earlier post due to language barrier.   He probably didn't do a clean install in order to keep you from losing the programs you had installed and data you had created.

Heck I see in another thread you already asked what a Radeon Settings popup means on your new Acer laptop and asking whether you should keep or remove the settings popup.  And you where told that deals with your GPU chip/driver.  I sure hope you didn't uninstall it which would probably cause laptop problems.

Doing a Win 10 clean install is easy...google it...download from Microsoft servers...use your Lenovo AIO as a training tool to learn more about maintaining a computer without messing around with your new Acer laptop...also download Lenovo Vantage which automatically keeps your Lenovo drivers up to date...no need to stay computer illiterate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pib said:

You don't even know what the computer shop guy did based on your earlier post due to language barrier.   He probably didn't do a clean install in order to keep you from losing the programs you had installed and data you had created.

Heck I see in another thread you already asked what a Radeon Settings popup means on your new Acer laptop and asking whether you should keep or remove the settings popup.  And you where told that deals with your GPU chip/driver.  I sure hope you didn't uninstall it which would probably cause laptop problems.

Doing a Win 10 clean install is easy...google it...download from Microsoft servers...use your Lenovo AIO as a training tool to learn more about maintaining a computer without messing around with your new Acer laptop...also download Lenovo Vantage which automatically keeps your Lenovo drivers up to date...no need to stay computer illiterate.

Thanks, I will try and do what you say.

11 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Kingston A400 SSD? If so, the problem was with the SSD, not the AIO device.

Indeed it was a Kingston 400GB drive.  Was great for speed but having computer stop every few minutes just did not make it.  Could not find anything on Google (although similar issues were reported and fixed by various tweaks).  

Thanks, I will try and do what you say.

Don't just go off on your own to try to do it.

Just let us know when you are ready to begin and we will guide you through it. Personally, I would buy a cheap SSD for 500 baht upwards and fit that to it. If for whatever reason it didn't work, you could use the same SSD for the new laptop.

You will be amazed at the difference in performance.

But don't try anything on your own. Your penchant for buying things all too quickly a case in point.

Just now, lopburi3 said:

Indeed it was a Kingston 400GB drive.  Was great for speed but having computer stop every few minutes just did not make it.  Could not find anything on Google (although similar issues were reported and fixed by various tweaks).  

Not 400 GB but A400. Perhaps fixed by a firmware update.

But nothing to do with the AIO device. Just buy a different SSD and it will be fine.

Not 400 GB but A400. Perhaps fixed by a firmware update.

But nothing to do with the AIO device. Just buy a different SSD and it will be fine.

Put the high power glasses on this time - Kingston SA400S37/480GB - so guess that is the A400 model you mention.

4 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Don't just go off on your own to try to do it.

Just let us know when you are ready to begin and we will guide you through it. Personally, I would buy a cheap SSD for 500 baht upwards and fit that to it. If for whatever reason it didn't work, you could use the same SSD for the new laptop.

You will be amazed at the difference in performance.

But don't try anything on your own. Your penchant for buying things all too quickly a case in point.

I don't even know what an SSD is, I don't buy things all to quickly, Before I bought that AIO I had my last desktop for nearly six years, I also have another Lenovo, the one that goes like a tent, for when I go traveling. 

26 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I don't even know what an SSD is, I don't buy things all to quickly, Before I bought that AIO I had my last desktop for nearly six years, I also have another Lenovo, the one that goes like a tent, for when I go traveling. 

This is what I mean. Better to have a basic understanding before acting.

Currently, in both your AIO and new laptop, you have the old magnetic spinning disc kind of storage.

They cannot react as quickly as the new fangled SSD(Solid State Drives. Think SD cards, USB drives). SSD have no moving parts, so can react much more quickly and are much more able to handle the rigours of the modern Internet.

Currently they cost as little as 500 baht. Swapping your old and slow HDD(Hard Disc Drive) for an SSD, can make all of the difference.

Old style and new style for comparison.

WD-500Gb-2-5-HDD-SATA-500G-HD-3-6.jpg

sandisk_sdssdh3_250g_g25_ultra_3d_250gb_

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Put the high power glasses on this time - Kingston SA400S37/480GB - so guess that is the A400 model you mention.

Yes, those A400 were notorious for freezing at one time. So I guess you got one of the bad ones.

Yes, those A400 were notorious for freezing at one time. So I guess you got one of the bad ones.

Indeed and found it reported and that the firmware does fix it so downloaded the monitor program and installed the firmware.  Perhaps will give it another try in few days.  Thanks for the help.