What Laptop.

NoshowJones

On 3/21/2020 at 2:38 PM, possum1931 said:

I am very interested in getting a separate and keyboard, please excuse my ignorance but the screen I have was used with a tower, and obviously cannot fit in to a laptop, what sort of screen should I get? Does it just fit straight into the laptop with some sort of usb type of input, or is there another way? Also, does it have a plug to the mains.

What's the brand name and model number of the monitor you have now?

The laptop obviously has an HDMI output, so one end has to be Male HDMI. So we only have to ascertain the connections available on the monitor. I am guessing VGA.

So something like this; https://www.advice.co.th/product/converter-splitter/converter-hdmi/converter-hdmi-to-vga-audio-ugreen-40248-

<snip>

6 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

What's the brand name and model number of the monitor you have now?

The laptop obviously has an HDMI output, so one end has to be Male HDMI. So we only have to ascertain the connections available on the monitor. I am guessing VGA.

So something like this; https://www.advice.co.th/product/converter-splitter/converter-hdmi/converter-hdmi-to-vga-audio-ugreen-40248-

<snip>

It's a Samsung, but it is no use and years old, I will have to get a new monitor, as advised by another poster I will take a photo of the connections on my laptop and make sure any monitor I buy has the right connection.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

It's a Samsung, but it is no use and years old, I will have to get a new monitor, as advised by another poster I will take a photo of the connections on my laptop and make sure any monitor I buy has the right connection.

No need, just make sure that the new monitor has an HDMI input.

What's wrong with the Samsung monitor and where is the rest of the model number? ????

8 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

No need, just make sure that the new monitor has an HDMI input.

What's wrong with the Samsung monitor and where is the rest of the model number? ????

The Monitor is part of a desktop I bought from JCB and the model no is S20A300B there is no way it is going to

fit in to my new laptop.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

The Monitor is part of a desktop I bought from JCB and the model no is S20A300B there is no way it is going to

fit in to my new laptop.

On the contrary, it appears that your monitor has a DVI port. DVI ports are directly compatible with HDMI, so you will probably just need a DVI to HDMI adapter; or yoy can even buy HDMI to DVI cables.

It's probably a lot more straightforward than you  think.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, JaiMaai said:

On the contrary, it appears that your monitor has a DVI port. DVI ports are directly compatible with HDMI, so you will probably just need a DVI to HDMI adapter; or yoy can even buy HDMI to DVI cables.

It's probably a lot more straightforward than you  think.

Yes, it has a DVI and an RGB input.

14 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes I had a good look at it. does it fit into the laptops USB port? It looks a different shape.

You are not paying attention. What has USB to do with anything? ????

JaiMaai has linked you to the correct cable; https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ugreen-hdmi-to-dvi-241-cable-dvi-241-to-hdmi-cable-11150-10136-10137-10138-hdmi-dvi-d-cable-241-2-gold-plated-support-1080p-tv-dvd-and-projector-xbox360-ps4-i105383517-s106014539.html

gw.jpg.97cdcce6b391e24b37279ea1005623a1.jpg

30 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes I had a good look at it. does it fit into the laptops USB port? It looks a different shape.

No.

The HDMI port should look like this.   it's on the back but on some models they can be on the side too.

a751b91d-7b7b-4f3c-a014-7a5cbbdca1bd.jpg

But, don't worry about extra info since you're clearly not confident and I don't want to confuse you.

Connect from the HDMI port on the back of your laptop to the WHITE connector on the back of the monitor using an HDMI TO DVI cable.  This is all you need to remember for now.

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2020 at 3:29 PM, Eindhoven said:

You showed me the wrong cable, and cost me a round trip of about 30 Ks, how can you fit holes into holes JaiMaai showed me the right one which will fit into the monitors DVI input but the shop does not have it in stock. 

On 3/24/2020 at 4:27 PM, JaiMaai said:

But, don't worry about extra info since you're clearly not confident and I don't want to confuse you.

Connect from the HDMI port on the back of your laptop to the WHITE connector on the back of the monitor using an HDMI TO DVI cable.  This is all you need to remember for now.

Yes, I will get the one you said, but will probably have to go to Lazada for it.

On 3/19/2020 at 12:45 PM, Bruno123 said:

Some here are full of 'useful advice', until it comes to the crunch.

Try here; http://www.vserveplus.co.th/en/index.php/services-center.html

Let us know how it goes and what they do.

ADDRESS
117/7 Pra Ong Dam Road, Tambon Nai Mueang, Amphoe Mueang Phitsanulok, Phitsanulok 65000, Thailand

TEL.
+66 5521 2323-4

I will have to wait till the lockdown ends before I can go to Phitsanulok.

On 3/17/2020 at 5:11 PM, Pib said:

You don't even know what the computer shop guy did based on your earlier post due to language barrier.   He probably didn't do a clean install in order to keep you from losing the programs you had installed and data you had created.

Heck I see in another thread you already asked what a Radeon Settings popup means on your new Acer laptop and asking whether you should keep or remove the settings popup.  And you where told that deals with your GPU chip/driver.  I sure hope you didn't uninstall it which would probably cause laptop problems.

Doing a Win 10 clean install is easy...google it...download from Microsoft servers...use your Lenovo AIO as a training tool to learn more about maintaining a computer without messing around with your new Acer laptop...also download Lenovo Vantage which automatically keeps your Lenovo drivers up to date...no need to stay computer illiterate.

I just done a Win 10 clean install, and yes it was easy, it took nearly about 1 and a half hours and after it was finished, this notice came up "There was a problem resetting your PC, no changes were made", I then went to Lenovo Vantage and did a scan there, that took nearly an hour, and completed it. for the past hour it has been working well, but whether I have solved the problem, only time will tell.

May I point out it is the Lenovo AIO I'm talking about, I have done nothing to the new Acer.

15 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I just done a Win 10 clean install, and yes it was easy, it took nearly about 1 and a half hours and after it was finished, this notice came up "There was a problem resetting your PC, no changes were made", I then went to Lenovo Vantage and did a scan there, that took nearly an hour, and completed it. for the past hour it has been working well, but whether I have solved the problem, only time will tell.

May I point out it is the Lenovo AIO I'm talking about, I have done nothing to the new Acer.

Sounds like you did a Windows Reset from within Windows versus a Clean Install because a Clean Install wipes your hard drive and only installs Windows.....no other programs like Lenovo Vantage are installed. 

Be sure to check for Windows Updates several times....and let Lenovo Vantage check for updates also.

I really expect the problems you have described with your Lenovo AIO is software corruption and maybe some self-inflicted problems by installing this & that apps over time...maybe some apps that carried malware?

If I was you for the next few days I would reinstall as little as possible of apps that got deleted during the reset so you can determine how the computer works before you start reinstalling/adding your programs/apps/data.   If the computer works well over the coming days....right after your reset & before you start reinstalling stuff....then that's strong proof your problems were not hardware related but software related.

I would be very careful with a clean install as on my Lenovo AIO system the Windows loads a totally <deleted> video driver making system unusable.  On my unit there is a hidden partition with Lenovo software that seems to be required. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Pib said:

Sounds like you did a Windows Reset from within Windows  with superantivirusversus a Clean Install because a Clean Install wipes your hard drive and only installs Windows.....no other programs like Lenovo Vantage are installed. 

Be sure to check for Windows Updates several times....and let Lenovo Vantage check for updates also.

I really expect the problems you have described with your Lenovo AIO is software corruption and maybe some self-inflicted problems by installing this & that apps over time...maybe some apps that carried malware?

If I was you for the next few days I would reinstall as little as possible of apps that got deleted during the reset so you can determine how the computer works before you start reinstalling/adding your programs/apps/data.   If the computer works well over the coming days....right after your reset & before you start reinstalling stuff....then that's strong proof your problems were not hardware related but software related.

Thanks, though I do a malware scan at least once a week. I though that Win 10 automatically gave you protection. I do understand everything you are telling me, and will take notice of it.

On 3/17/2020 at 2:22 PM, Pib said:

Why don't "you" (not some shop) do a clean install of the OS and then see what happens...see if the problems go away.  Looking back through it was not a hardware problem, this thread indicates to me your whole problem could be simple software corruption but you seem to be convinced it's a hardware problem.

No, I knew it was not a hardware problem as the local computer shop fixed it last year, and it was OK for a few months.