Chiang Mai presently ‘most polluted city in world’

webfact

16 hours ago, watgate said:

Money and greed over people. Congrats to all the wealthy individuals and conglomerates who are raking in the big bucks while millions are being gassed. Truly pathetic

Asian think. life is cheap

Edited by malibukid

21 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

People mocking expats who live in Chiang Mai really ought to be ashamed of themselves.

The air pollution is a national disaster that extends throughout the kingdom. Just check the stats. On any given day the AQI and PM2.5 will be higher in other cities. What is there to mock? Nearly all of Thailand is affected by this - that is, all Thai people, tourists and expats.

We should be directing our ire at the government and other governments in this region that are not doing enough to control the problem.

Look at the photo in the OP. The hills are alight. Yes, burning the fields here and in neighbouring countries certainly adds to the problem, but national forest burning is going on here in plain sight too. I have posted photo evidence in other threads. The hills all around have been burning day and night for weeks. What is being done to stop this?

The PM2.5 is 180 outside my house this morning. Thai people living in houses around here without secure doors and windows and without the financial means to afford air purifiers or even suitable face masks are the ones truly suffering now. Save your pity for them. They are the ones most likely to be suffering the most, not expats.

The PM2.5 inside my house with air purifiers running, is currently under 10. I am not suffering. When I leave the house I use a proper mask. For most of the burning season I go on holiday to cleaner air places. For me and many expats this is an inconvenience. For most Thai people this is a tragedy and a disaster.

And to repeat, this is not just about Chiang Mai.

why doesn't the Thai government help their own people with subsidies?  the burning continues, payoffs

Edited by malibukid

22 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Save your pity for them. They are the ones most likely to be suffering the most, not expats.

Well, it's OBVIOUS the locals need our sympathy, BUT they cannot leave because they don't have the financial means to escape this toxicity.  But these farangs who stay let the locals know, "oh, don't worry, i'm here so the air must not be too bad."  Farangs need to leave so the locals really understand how bad the air is, and then they might save enough money to leave as well.

farangs staying and supporting thais are really hurting both, since they buy things from thais and smile as they get lung disease, heart problems, brain issues, allergies, die younger, body shuts down and the pollution destroys every part of their soul.

to defend yourself while living in CM when the pollution is the WORST in the world is hurting other farangs thinking of going there.

quit being soo selfish

• Like 1

"Official Announcement"

Don't worry people.

This smog you see is the disifincting smoke that we have been spraying around to kill the virus.

You should breath that smoke for at least 1 hour a day.

And do not forget to gargle your throat with bleach 3 times a day.

"end of official announcement"

Why are you quoting THAI modified levels and not make a note about it?

They have doubled the levels, i.e. 50mg instead of 25 for good air quality and so forth.

You can fool some of the people all of the time, you can fool all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time

3 minutes ago, Brickbat said:

I was at Mae Kampong yesterday

have you considered leaving?  why were you there in the first place, don't you know it's the worst burning season ever.  if not, why are you still there?  i'm not trolling, i'm just asking.  if i go to a war zone and stay one night, i don't then book another week.  i leave.  i'm trying to help you get healthier, but i'm not sure this is your goal.  so i'm curious.  

yes, i think we should be shamed if we (westerners) do stupid things like hang out in the worst pollution in the world.  come on, our parents would not be happy at us.

Edited by Ventenio
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

People mocking expats who live in Chiang Mai really ought to be ashamed of themselves.

The air pollution is a national disaster that extends throughout the kingdom. Just check the stats. On any given day the AQI and PM2.5 will be higher in other cities. What is there to mock? Nearly all of Thailand is affected by this - that is, all Thai people, tourists and expats.

We should be directing our ire at the government and other governments in this region that are not doing enough to control the problem.

Look at the photo in the OP. The hills are alight. Yes, burning the fields here and in neighbouring countries certainly adds to the problem, but national forest burning is going on here in plain sight too. I have posted photo evidence in other threads. The hills all around have been burning day and night for weeks. What is being done to stop this?

The PM2.5 is 180 outside my house this morning. Thai people living in houses around here without secure doors and windows and without the financial means to afford air purifiers or even suitable face masks are the ones truly suffering now. Save your pity for them. They are the ones most likely to be suffering the most, not expats.

The PM2.5 inside my house with air purifiers running, is currently under 10. I am not suffering. When I leave the house I use a proper mask. For most of the burning season I go on holiday to cleaner air places. For me and many expats this is an inconvenience. For most Thai people this is a tragedy and a disaster.

And to repeat, this is not just about Chiang Mai.

Excellent post. Not only is bad air quality a Thailand problem it's a global problem. Even in Europe there are places like Poland that compete with the worst AQI values in India.

And Chiang Mai is not the most polluted city in the world. It's just a seasonal spike, but looking at true annual figures many many Cities in the world are actually more polluted than Chiang Mai.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, New beginnings said:

Well done Chiangmai, finally number 1. Now if we can just be honest about the actual number of people infected by the Coronavirus we could be top of that league as well.

100% correct...do u think these turkeys would ever have the nouse to tell the world the truth,instead of trying to protect their holy grail tourism market!!! TIT...

16 hours ago, Ventenio said:

i had a chance to go to CM....haven't been there for a while, BUT I know NEVER go go there in March.  NEVER.  NEVER.  I told people to leave because of the pollution (and I secretly knew about Corona from the Illuminati, i'm sooo rich now)....but whatever.  I took my own advice.

if you are in CM now, i'm sorry but you are not even 1% as smart as you think you are

...so you're the guy with the 200 million masks!

18 hours ago, watgate said:

Money and greed over people. Congrats to all the wealthy individuals and conglomerates who are raking in the big bucks while millions are being gassed. Truly pathetic

Are the farms in NW Thailand conglomerates? Who else but SE Asian farmers slash and burn every year?

18 hours ago, New beginnings said:

Well done Chiangmai, finally number 1. Now if we can just be honest about the actual number of people infected by the Coronavirus we could be top of that league as well.

But how much of the pollution is caused by people in chiang mai? 

It's one thing to say how bad it us but please also mention the source of the pollution 

25 minutes ago, damascase said:

Early this morning in Chiang Rai. I’m seriously thinking of leaving......

7D1341DA-27B1-46FF-961E-B6949D90BC1F.jpeg

I'd get the hell out of there mate, you are cutting years off your life expectancy by staying. Totally acceptable and it's not getting better anytime soon. Cut your loses and get out while you still have your health. Life is a cheap to the sociopathic criminals that are running this racket. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SaamBaht said:

Khon Kaen is above 150 almost every day. You can really feel it. It is relentless. 

Hua Hin now 121 a little better but normally over 150 too, if someone think not have pollution where he living is wrong for majority Thai area

19 minutes ago, damascase said:

Early this morning in Chiang Rai. I’m seriously thinking of leaving......

7D1341DA-27B1-46FF-961E-B6949D90BC1F.jpeg

All this data available. But what is actually causing the air quality to be so poor? Certainly can't blame it on a few piddly little farm fires.

Is it that new fangled thing; global warming in your parts?

They burn around our way but the air is lovely just a few hours afterwards. It must be Chiang Rai's location. Is there no wind in those parts? Is there no rain? I've just looked at the map and can see it's quite close to China.

If you  are thinking of leaving Damascase, why not consider Udon Thani. Polution free, with a long dry season, and some decent fishing. An 'International airport' and a lot of chess-playing Lao ladies. And as we know Laos has not had any China virus cases yet so mixing with these girls is safe; not even a need for a mask, as you stare at each other across the board.

1913856415_fire03.thumb.jpg.85225a1d3bc9ffb4c7b5f1e45631ee6d.jpg

You will be made welcome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1