Chiang Mai presently ‘most polluted city in world’

webfact

20 hours ago, New beginnings said:

Well done Chiangmai, finally number 1. Now if we can just be honest about the actual number of people infected by the Coronavirus we could be top of that league as well.

If the smoke is confirmed coming from neighboring countries how is this Chiang Mai’s fault? As to coronavirus, accuracy is not possible because (duh) it’s spreading too rapidly and (b) accurate testing is not always quickly available and (c) most healthy people infected either present no symptoms or very mild symptoms.. and the incubation period is up to 2 weeks. Many of the reported cases have turned out to be flu or something else. Lastly, if the number is 47 or a thousand, I can tell you from personal observation that the Thais are doing a good job addressing the issue with fever screening the general public, public service broadcast advisories,  and providing hand cleanser in all possible public places. Do you actually live here? Anyway, how does Thailand’s accuracy in reporting affect you other than providing amusement and fodder for you to gloat and comment sanctimoniously with your cheap shots? Wouldn’t you like to actually know what you’re talking about when you comment, you know, and have some credibility? Or is proper research and study on a given issue too much work? Well we all know the answers right? Carry on with the cheap shots you silly boy

Edited by Jonathan Swift
Improve
  • Sad 2

So, so sad.  Many years ago I visited the area and thoroughly enjoyed it, but sorry to say I will not be visiting again, until this abomination is sorted and permanantly.  The hotel owners must be so angry and disappointed at the lack of Government action and yes, it is all down to corruption at a high level.  Tourists beware........of the virus doesn't get you, the smog will!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

If the smoke is confirmed coming from neighboring countries how is this Chiang Mai’s fault? As to coronavirus, accuracy is not possible because (duh) it’s spreading too rapidly and (b) accurate testing is not always quickly available and (c) most healthy people infected either present no symptoms or very mild symptoms.. and the incubation period is up to 2 weeks. Lastly, if the number is 47 or a thousand, I can tell you from personal observation that the Thais are doing a good job addressing the issue with fever screening the general public and providing hand cleanser in all possible public places. Anyway, how does Thailand’s accuracy in reporting affect you other than providing amusement and fodder for you to gloat and comment sanctimoniously with your cheap shots? Wouldn’t you like to actually know what you’re talking about when you comment, you know, and have some credibility? Or is proper research and study on a given issue too much work? Well we all know the answers right? Carry on with the cheap shots you silly boy

So, please tell, where is the smoke coming from? That's difficult to answer 'cause of winds etc.

Where are the Thais getting their hand cleanser from? There is none to be had in our local Big Care or Tescoes.

I didn't think the cheap shots will be taken seriously by the Thai Authorities. They have more important work to be getting on with.

• Like 1

Once again .....shameful...the responsibility for the control of illegal burning rests solely on the Thai government. It is the government's responsibility to enforce the law for the safety and health of the Thai people. Last year it was horrible - lots of talk, chatter, and once the rains came - all forgotten, problem solved...until this year rolls around and the same issue again. Except this year, the country is hit with not only the air pollution but COVID 19 and the Thai economy will sadly be devastated by a double whammy. I made the decision to invest in Chiang Mai....I am stuck with that decision but honestly, despite loving the place when the air is good, I am having significant second thoughts as it is clear the government is not stepping up to the plate to protect peoples' health. 

23 minutes ago, Rod the Sod said:

Tell him to visit the war Museums in Vietnam (Hanoi and Saigon) - he will get plenty of information and meet people who have suffered in real life. A shameful chapter in world history. Of course most of those responsible are either dead now or retired somewhere a long long way from Udon Thani/

My friend was a US military man all his life until retiring 22 years ago.

He served some time in Udon Thani during the time of raids into Laos and Vietnam. Has located some of the dumps where Agent Orange (AO) was stored, then burried and forgotten. There is a housing complex built on one such site, I'm informed.

The servicemen that actually produced AO in the US have suffered terribly with different cancers. This is not generally good newsworthy stuff, and there have been millions of dollars given as compensation and quieteners. That leads on quite naturally to those who have had devastating illnesses due to injections and vaccines. In the last 20 years 5 Billion US dollars have been paid out in compensations.

Talk about other countries being secretive.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, sahibji said:

looks like burning is the culprit which ought to be able to be handled.

24 minutes ago, sahibji said:

so looks like it is a man made problem.

14 minutes ago, Brickbat said:

It’s not an easy decision when one has a gf who works , and I am not one to hop skip and jump. I love routine. But getting to the point where I might jump. Anger building up at this nations utter stupidity. Health is wealth , I keep telling myself . 

Yes, yes, and yes. My gf moved here 16 years ago. She says there was never much of a smoke problem until a few years ago, so what has changed? I don't think it is wrong to comment on burning in Myanmar etc. You can't blame the whole problem on them which the Government would love to do, but it is obvious that they contribute, go to Mae Hon Song, or Pai. The shortsightedness beggars belief, the jungle burners are killing their own children. I suppose if you live on top of a mountain you can happily watch the smoke settle in the valleys. The government inactivity and inadequacy also beggars belief. Look forward to seeing the sprinklers out on Nawarat bridge, so we can all marvel that humans can actually achieve such a supreme level of idiocy.

8 hours ago, New beginnings said:

Well done Chiangmai, finally number 1. Now if we can just be honest about the actual number of people infected by the Coronavirus we could be top of that league as well.

please note the report says this is caused by neighbouring counties

3 hours ago, Zack61 said:

At least the number of tourists affected is lower this year

Nearly no tourists are wearing PM2.5 masks. Nobody cares. Also families with children. I have seen many. Also I see expats cycling without mask. 

Just now, Jonathan Swift said:

If the smoke is confirmed coming from neighboring countries how is this Chiang Mai’s fault? As to coronavirus, accuracy is not possible because (duh) it’s spreading too rapidly and (b) accurate testing is not always quickly available and (c) most healthy people infected either present no symptoms or very mild symptoms.. and the incubation period is up to 2 weeks. Many of the reported cases have turned out to be flu or something else. Lastly, if the number is 47 or a thousand, I can tell you from personal observation that the Thais are doing a good job addressing the issue with fever screening the general public, public service broadcast advisories,  and providing hand cleanser in all possible public places. Do you actually live here? Anyway, how does Thailand’s accuracy in reporting affect you other than providing amusement and fodder for you to gloat and comment sanctimoniously with your cheap shots? Wouldn’t you like to actually know what you’re talking about when you comment, you know, and have some credibility? Or is proper research and study on a given issue too much work? Well we all know the answers right? Carry on with the cheap shots you silly boy

the photo showing the fires only ks away has been taken down

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

According to the most recent annual pollution figures from Swiss firm IQAir Chiang Mai is not even in the top 50 of most polluted cities:

https://www.iqair.com/world-most-polluted-cities

Thanks for that link.

Let's put things into perspective.

The most polluted city in the world in 2019 is in India with a PM2.5 average of 110.2.

The most polluted city in Thailand (Nakhon Ratchasima) only enters at number 200 on the worldwide city list with average PM2.5 in all of 2019 recorded as 42.2.

Saraphi (a district south of Chiang Mai city) ranks #216 with 2019 AVG 41.3.

Chiang Mai itself ranks #357 in the world with average PM2.5 of 32.2.

image.png.2c072804bd0ba9f050233a8369a1e520.png

18 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Chiang Mai, the number 1 retiree destination in the world...at one time.

Gross lack of leadership and lack of genuine concern for the health of it's citizens will soon make Chiang Mai the last place retirees will want to go or tourists visit.

Let's all go to the Temple and make merit!

Bit hard to go to the temple when you aren't in the country. Nice bashing post by the way.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Chiang Mai presently ‘most polluted city in world’

And we paranoia about the Corona virus ...
This situation is much more serious and dangerous to health.
It is really time for this "government" to act ...

• Like 1

Having lived in Chiang Mai last 6 yrs I can attest to the fact the Air Pollution is awful.

when we walk the dogs at night we use flashlight and if u look at the beam of light, it like being in a snowstorm with all the <deleted> in the air going thru the beam of light.

my pool goes off from 12-2 to let motor rest n cool down.

by 1:30 there is a complete layer of dust and debris on top of the water.

we never leave the house without a mask.

If I wasnt so entrenched after living here 15 yrs we would be moving to cleaner air

20 hours ago, Ventenio said:

i had a chance to go to CM....haven't been there for a while, BUT I know NEVER go go there in March.  NEVER.  NEVER.  I told people to leave because of the pollution (and I secretly knew about Corona from the Illuminati, i'm sooo rich now)....but whatever.  I took my own advice.

if you are in CM now, i'm sorry but you are not even 1% as smart as you think you are

You’re Probably one of those aholes that lives in pattaya,yeah you’re smart.<deleted> dumbass

1 hour ago, Jonathan Swift said:

wow perhaps thailand can become the hub of apologists?  land of delusion?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:

OMG, many thousands die on the roads in Thailand each year. Why are any of you here?

Road deaths are mostly caused by stupidity and the're quick. Inhaling toxic air is a slow death caused by corruption.

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

All this data available. But what is actually causing the air quality to be so poor? Certainly can't blame it on a few piddly little farm fires.

Is it that new fangled thing; global warming in your parts?

They burn around our way but the air is lovely just a few hours afterwards. It must be Chiang Rai's location. Is there no wind in those parts? Is there no rain? I've just looked at the map and can see it's quite close to China.

If you  are thinking of leaving Damascase, why not consider Udon Thani. Polution free, with a long dry season, and some decent fishing. An 'International airport' and a lot of chess-playing Lao ladies. And as we know Laos has not had any China virus cases yet so mixing with these girls is safe; not even a need for a mask, as you stare at each other across the board.

1913856415_fire03.thumb.jpg.85225a1d3bc9ffb4c7b5f1e45631ee6d.jpg

You will be made welcome.

Excuse me. I split my time between Phuket and Udon and the air in Udon is not good quality. Not saying Phuket is good either, but udon is significantly worse.

on a brighter note, I was in Bali last week and felt the air quality was good.

• Like 1