Samui Covid-19 Free

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

Outrageous if true.

Seen one state to have paid 7,500 baht for a covid-19 test, probably up in Bangkok...

90154157_237811850917736_420060858249379

It's from Amarin News, and a Google-translation of the attached Thai text says:

After this, he had previously posted that he was going to have a viral test for Covid-19 because he had just filmed the program with Matthew Dean. Afforded himself surprised with the exorbitant inspection fees !!!

Original text:
หลังจากที่ ก่อนหน้านี้เจ้าตัวได้โพสต์ว่าจะไปตรวจ เชื้อไวรัส โควิด-19 เพราะพึ่งจะไปถ่ายรายการ กับ แมทธิว ดีน มา แต่พอตรวจเสร็จ เจ้าตัวถึงกับตกใจกับค่าตรวจที่แพงเกินไป!!!

It's almost impossible to say Samui is Covid free.

The rumour mills have already kicked in......and it's easy to see why..  "Thailand’s pattern of misstatements, contradictions and self-serving revisions suggest that a desire to sugarcoat the situation has taken precedence over “pro-active communication.” coconuts

I have been told by both Thais and farangs that the test is 7,500 baht at Nathon (and all government hospitals) and that Bangkok Samui do not have the testing capability and send the samples to Nathon anyway!!!

Not sure if this is accurate, but it is what I have been told. So much misinformation around.

• Thanks 1

I too have seen these rumours via my wife's Facebook pages but frankly I think it is irresponsible to identify and post details such as copies of their passports here on Thai Visa.

There is no proof these are the two victims of the virus.

Edited by Tmoney

About the two rumored Covid-19 cases, an image with the two persons in question together with uniformed authority officials has been posted several times together with text that they have been captured, but the full posting, from where the image is extracted, says a question (in Thai language) "are they these two?"

There are however at this moment expectations in the Samui schools that they will be ordered to close down from tomorrow Wednesday March 18th...

Dear Parents/Carers,

We are currently expecting that schools will be ordered to close from Wednesday 18th March 2020, for a period of 15 days, however all details will be announced later today. We are currently waiting for official confirmation and details of the closure, but we wanted to keep you informed.

Schools ordered to close from Wednesday March 18th...

15%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%942.jpg

According to Chanel 7 News the Thailand Ministry of Education has ordered all school nationwide, both public and private schools, to close down until further notice due to reduce spread of Coronavirus. The school can arrange for other forms of study without having to attend classes.
Source in Thai: 
สกัดโควิด19 ศธ.ประกาศปิดเรียนทั่วประเทศไม่มีกำหนด

Morning All

I am not sure if I should post this as too many rumours are flying all over the place already, but... Forewarned is forearmed. 

Yesterday I was told by a Thai woman that I know that there is a confirmed case on Koh Phangan, and that it was on the Thai TV news. Further, yesterday's slew of official virus news included one case in Surattani, but didn't specify a location within the province. And yes, she also stated that it was connected to the Italians of a few days ago.

I don't have first hand information on this, but enough of it correlates that I thought that I would pass it along. Can anyone with a Thai partner who watches the news confirm? If it is correct, then it is evidence that it is on the islands (I have been assuming that it is, but...)

I hope everyone is practicing 'social-distancing' and keeping safe. 

Cheers

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 10:56 AM, Makhao said:

As far as I know of a hospital here, there are at least two known cases on Samui, but of course this is kept confidential. No one wants to scare away the tourists...

Known how? You can provide proof of this?

I ask because my wife monitors a Facebook page, Samui Community, which is only in Thai. According to what she is reading, there is one confirmed case in Surat Thani and one on Koh Phangan. The one on Koh Phangan is a farang whose girlfriend, also a farang, went to Samui immigration yesterday, Friday. This is what is posted on that Facebook page. I find it odd that they'd have information about that case and the one in Surat Thani but nothing about cases here on Samui.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

Known how? You can provide proof of this?

I ask because my wife monitors a Facebook page, Samui Community, which is only in Thai. According to what she is reading, there is one confirmed case in Surat Thani and one on Koh Phangan. The one on Koh Phangan is a farang whose girlfriend, also a farang, went to Samui immigration yesterday, Friday. This is what is posted on that Facebook page. I find it odd that they'd have information about that case and the one in Surat Thani but nothing about cases here on Samui.

That is correct information about the case on Koh Phangan – I read it in the news yesterday – and Surat Thani is on the Covid-19 positive list today with one case (bold is my edit)...

• Bangkok 213 cases in 15 districts
  • Samut Prakan 12 cases in 4 districts
  • Chiang Mai 7 cases in 2 districts
  • Pattani 6 cases in 2 districts
  • Chon Buri 5 cases in 2 districts
  • Phuket 5 cases in 1 district
  • Yala 3 cases in 2 districts
  • Nakhon Ratchasima 2 cases in 1 district
  • Narathiwat 2 cases in 1 district
  • Pathum Thani 2 cases in 1 district
  • Prachuap Khiri Khan 2 cases in 1 district
  • One case each in Phetchabun, Krabi, Kalasin, Nakhon Pathom, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Nonthaburi, Roi-et, Saraburi, Sukhothai, Suphan Buri and Surat Thani.

Full article...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, churchill said:

You can monitor cases here https://covidtracker.5lab.co

It's better in English

https://covidtracker.5lab.co/en

And from it's Facebook link re Surat Thani

20 March 2020, Surat Thani, confirmed 3 cases

1. Thai man, 49 years old, coma contractor

2. Thai woman, 29 years old, flight attendant career Keeping himself in Surat

3. Foreign women Found at the hospital in Koh Phangan. (Mild symptoms) waiting to recuperate at home

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

" • Koh Samui, in the southern province of Surat Thani, has announced 2 confirmed cases of the coronavirus. Other parts of Surat Thani province announced 5 new cases. "

That is not good.

Take care people.

Please can you give t reference for this.

5 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Please can you give t reference for this.

"Koh Samui, in the southern province of Surat Thani, has announced 2 confirmed cases of the coronavirus. Other parts of Surat Thani province announced 5 new cases." 

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/covid-19-update-thailands-latest-cases-olympics-decision-in-four-weeks

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Tayaout said:

"Koh Samui, in the southern province of Surat Thani, has announced 2 confirmed cases of the coronavirus. Other parts of Surat Thani province announced 5 new cases." 

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/covid-19-update-thailands-latest-cases-olympics-decision-in-four-weeks

If there are 2 known cases there will be many unknown already spreading the virus .. so extra care.  The virus is not only air born but can live on surfaces for many hours ... 

6 hours ago, Tayaout said:

maybe fake news .. still no other reports of this and not showing up on https://covidtracker.5lab.co/en

3 hours ago, churchill said:

The virus is not only air born but can live on surfaces for many hours

I seemed to have read that the coronavirus is not airborne, but spread by drops from cough and sneeze; it can live for some 48 hours on certain surfaces like steel bars, i.e. door handles.

However, search results says...

...Each case of the new coronavirus is estimated to cause two to three others.

The reason the measles is so, well, viral, is that the microbe is so small and hardy that it is able to stay suspended in the air where an infected person coughed or sneezed for up to two hours, making it one of the only viruses that can exist as a true aerosol.

Now there are conflicting reports on whether the new coronavirus can. The studies suggesting that it can be aerosolized are only preliminary, and other research contradicts it, finding no aerosolized coronavirus particles in the hospital rooms of Covid-19 patients.

Source: STAT March 16th "The new coronavirus can likely remain airborne for some time. That doesn’t mean we’re doomed".

Person-to-person spread

The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.

• Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
  • Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.

Source: CDC March 4th "Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)".

World health officials say the respiratory disease spreads through human-to-human contact, droplets carried through sneezing and coughing as well as germs left on inanimate objects. The coronavirus can go airborne, staying suspended in the air depending on factors such as heat and humidity, they said.

Kerkhove said health officials are aware of several studies in a number of countries looking at the different environmental conditions that COVID-19 can persist. Scientists are specifically looking at how humidity, temperature and ultraviolet lighting affects the disease as well as how long it lives on different surfaces, including steel, she said.

Source: CNBC March 16th "WHO considers ‘airborne precautions’ for medical staff after study shows coronavirus can survive in air".

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I would have thought it is going to spread pretty much everywhere in the country eventually.

One worrying aspect for me is that the high risk group - older people - seem the least keen on wearing masks.

Also older people trying to 90 day report at a crowded Immigration , even with masks there will be spread .

3 minutes ago, churchill said:

Also older people trying to 90 day report at a crowded Immigration , even with masks there will be spread .

True, but I think it is better to wear a mask. And that people in that age group should be using them.