Strange Bangkok Bank currency exchange

Today, March 10/2020, 14.40pm, I receifed my Pension in Swiss Franc directly from Swiss Pension Foundation to my Bangkok Bank Account. They give me 32,067 THB for 1 CHF insteed the official Amount of 33,365THB/ 1 CHF its displayed on Bangkok Bank foreign exchange Rates. This Difference cost me thousands THB on the whole Amount! Is this Business as usual or a Scam/Ripp off? Or has to do with the throbbing THB. I am interested in your experiences with this topic.

Edited by ujayujay

5 minutes ago, Susco said:

Is the exchange rate of 32.067 shown on your receipt, or could it be that less CHF arrived, or some fees extracted?

The Amount from Switzerland is the same as every Month. In my Bualuang E- Banking I see only the Amount in THB and the Fee 20THB, no exchange rate, no nothing. I sent now a Email to BB and wait for Answer!

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/View-Rates/Foreign-Exchange-Rates

Based on the exchange rate applicable at the actual time you received your transfer (14.40) that would be update #3 on 10Mar20 with a TT rate of 33.2475. This is certainly more than that apparently given to you by BB. Will be interesting to hear the outcome of your contact with BB.

Note that the rate you quoted in your OP  of 33.365 was update #4 and only applicable from 15.10 (i.e after your transfer was received). A minor issue, but may be important in any contact with BB. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ujayujay said:

Thanks everybody for Information. Finally now I miss more than 2000THB after deducting all fees. I am still waiting for Answer from BB.

Assuming you didn't make an error in your personal math, it's sounding like less CHF arrived Bangkok Bank than what normally arrives.  That is, less was sent, maybe an big intermediary bank fee, etc.  

what makes you think your pension is being remitted in CHF. It's more than likely possible that your pension fund are actually remitting in THB and using an exchange rate that is applicable with their bank in Switzerland not BB Thailand.  I know with my pension from Australia this is the case. They remit in the currency of the recipients location, not the home country currency. The home country banks usually have an exchange rate of between 1/2 baht to 1 baht less than the published official rate. I know that if my pension was remitted in AUD I'd receive around 2000 baht per month more than I currently do.

• Like 1

Call me a cynic now, but 3 days and Bangkok Bank still hasn't answered the OP's question?

Really?

If I have an incoming transfer, I'll call the bank's call centre, and within 5 minutes I will know how much arrived and what exchange rate was applied.

Something is missing here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Susco said:

Call me a cynic now, but 3 days and Bangkok Bank still hasn't answered the OP's question?

Really?

If I have an incoming transfer, I'll call the bank's call centre, and within 5 minutes I will know how much arrived and what exchange rate was applied.

Something is missing here

It seems possible that you are correct or the OP can’t be bothered.

Thai banks specially the international transfer sections do actually talk to their customers and give accurate and reasonably to very fast answers. They will even call you when an unusually large foreign currency transfer happens to ask exactly what you want done and when, that is my experience at least this happened without my asking for this to happen. To say that I was astonished at the level of service proved is an understatement. FWIW the transfer was not in the multi million Baht range, as I remember it was well under a million.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, henry15 said:

Ask your bank to printout a Tax Advise/receipt. Then you see all the transfer costs  and the rate. Kasikorn give this free en immediately

I always have my bank SCB provide the customer advice printout of an incoming transfer, it has all the details used in the transfer. As a side note it provides proof that the money was legitimate in case your ever asked about the source.

A post in German has been removed.

From the forum rule book: English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed. Short Thai translation of technical terms is permitted in specialty forums.

On 3/10/2020 at 8:16 PM, ujayujay said:

The Amount from Switzerland is the same as every Month. In my Bualuang E- Banking I see only the Amount in THB and the Fee 20THB, no exchange rate, no nothing. I sent now a Email to BB and wait for Answer!

There is a minimum receiving fee of ฿200. 

4 hours ago, CH1961 said:
5 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

what makes you think your pension is being remitted in CHF. I

Because Swiss pension is paid in CHF and not in any other currency.

That doesn't mean anything,  UK pensions are paid in GBP but they're sent to Thailand in baht.

On 3/10/2020 at 8:16 PM, ujayujay said:

Why didn't you phone them to ask abut it instead of waiting for an email?

"Is this Business as usual or a Scam/Ripp off?"

Bangkok Bank is not known for it's "scams and rip-offs".

You know that the bank's notes rates and TT rates are not the same?   The bank does not guarantee that the rate you see on the rate board is current, the rates have to be changed at some time and at the time of that update they are obviously not current.  

How do you know what the TT rate was at the time that the bank applied your credit to your account?

You say E-Banking, do you mean i-Banking?   My i-Banking online statement show only the credit amount for a pension, no details of any fee.  I do get an SMS advice of that credit that details a B100 fee has been deducted, not B20.

Your OP seems a little Swiss cheesy.

Edited by Just Weird

7 hours ago, CH1961 said:

Because Swiss pension is paid in CHF and not in any other currency.

Not according to below Swiss Compensation Office (SCO) where they talk how their payments start off in CHF but "before sent out Switzerland" a partner bank exchanges the CHF to USD, EUR, THB, etc., depending on the country.  For Thailand they show CHF being converted to THB for transfers.

Link providing full info...shows how the convert from CHF to whatever currency:

https://www.zas.admin.ch/zas/en/home/particuliers/paiement-des-prestations/modes-de-paiement.html

Snapshot from doc within above weblink showing transfer payment currency used for Thailand....for Thailand it shows THB being sent....that is, converted from CHF to THB by the SCO financial partner

image.png.0939b40363297ccb5ad7f00b44a1f463.png

Not saying the OP's pension payer is the SCO but maybe his pension payment has always been arriving in baht and Bangkok Bank was not doing any conversion all along.  If so, this would mean maybe his pension payer just reduced his payment this month for some reason....or maybe the foreign bank that did the conversion before the funds arrived Thailand just had a crappy CHF to THB exchange rate for the latest payment. 

Maybe the OP will give us an update of what he found out.  A call or visit to his branch should have quickly solved the mystery because they could show him how much the bank received from his pension payer (whether received in CHF or THB) and if his bank even did the exchange....if the funds arrived in baht then his bank was not even involved.

56 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

Sign up for sms notifications from Bangkok bank. All the fees are included in the sms as well as the exchange rate used.

If using TransferWise there's no need what so ever using sms notifications. 

17 hours ago, Pib said:

Not according to below Swiss Compensation Office (SCO) where they talk how their payments start off in CHF but "before sent out Switzerland" a partner bank exchanges the CHF to USD, EUR, THB, etc., depending on the country.  For Thailand they show CHF being converted to THB for transfers.

Link providing full info...shows how the convert from CHF to whatever currency:

https://www.zas.admin.ch/zas/en/home/particuliers/paiement-des-prestations/modes-de-paiement.html

Snapshot from doc within above weblink showing transfer payment currency used for Thailand....for Thailand it shows THB being sent....that is, converted from CHF to THB by the SCO financial partner

image.png.0939b40363297ccb5ad7f00b44a1f463.png

Not saying the OP's pension payer is the SCO but maybe his pension payment has always been arriving in baht and Bangkok Bank was not doing any conversion all along.  If so, this would mean maybe his pension payer just reduced his payment this month for some reason....or maybe the foreign bank that did the conversion before the funds arrived Thailand just had a crappy CHF to THB exchange rate for the latest payment. 

Maybe the OP will give us an update of what he found out.  A call or visit to his branch should have quickly solved the mystery because they could show him how much the bank received from his pension payer (whether received in CHF or THB) and if his bank even did the exchange....if the funds arrived in baht then his bank was not even involved.

Imo the OP hasn't got a clue about transfers and which currency was transferred by his pension provider. But it must be real easy to find out.