Cambodia no longer one of the cheapest places to live: study

geovalin

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

At that price I'd suspect the 'chicken' to be one of those 4 legged barking chickens.

Reminds me of a scene from the old TV show ‘Cheers

• Norm Peterson : [about his and Cliff's meal at The Hungry Heifer]  Yeah, Cliffy had himself the tunnel T-bone. For less than four bucks, you get 24 ounces of USDA choice US bef. 

Cliff Clavin : Bef? You mean beef. 

Norm Peterson : Beef? Don't be ridiculous Cliffy, that stuff is bef. You see, it's a Hungry Heifer trademark for a processed, synthetic, what... , meat-like substance. 

Cliff Clavin : Ohh, Norm. 

Norm Peterson : What do expect for four bucks? Do you hear me complain about the loobster?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

FYI; a quarter barrel keg costs ( in PP) around $35   u get around 82 12 oz glasses, if there is NO spoilage

you do the math

now take off part $$ for rent, part for staff, part for supplies, part for electricity.

The math gives me a $6 profit ...... that's 20% markup, most corner stores make 5-10% markups.

I understand greed, but many business' are happy to make small profits off many customers.

How much does your overpriced and empty bar make?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The math gives me a $6 profit ...... that's 20% markup, most corner stores make 5-10% markups.

I understand greed, but many business are happy to make small profits of many customers.

thats before     LOL

....now take off part $$ for rent, part for staff, part for supplies, part for electricity.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, geovalin said:

Cambodia’s reputation as one of the cheapest places in the world to live has been called under question

As Chinese mainland move in expect the prices to keep going up.

Feel sorry for the locals who've been squeezed out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

FYI; a quarter barrel keg costs ( in PP) around $35   u get around 82 12 oz glasses, if there is NO spoilage

you do the math

now take off part $$ for rent, part for staff, part for supplies, part for electricity.

I made a mistake ....... in PP beer is 75c, so your keg would return $61.50 ...... a profit of $26.60.

• Like 1

ahh Cambodia, might be cheap country to live in (as evidenced of the above posters),
but god help ya if you desire justice 

Cambodia ranked 127 out of 128 countries on rule of law

bottom_performers-695x400.png

fyi; Thailand global ranks 70th out of the 128

Cambodia’s overall rule of law score increased by less than 1% in this year’s Index. At 127th place out of 128 countries and jurisdictions worldwide, Cambodia remained in the same position for global rank. Cambodia’s score places it at 15 out of 15 countries in the East Asia and Pacific region* and 30 out of 30 among lower middle income** countries.

cambodia_ranking.png

*Countries and jurisdictions measured in the East Asia and Pacific region: Australia; Cambodia; China; Hong Kong SAR, China; Indonesia; Japan; Malaysia; Mongolia; Myanmar; New Zealand; Philippines; Republic of Korea; Singapore; Thailand; Vietnam

**Lower middle income countries and jurisdictions: Angola, Bangladesh, Bolivia, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire, Egypt, El Salvador, Ghana, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Kyrgyz Republic, Mauritania, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Myanmar, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, Senegal, Tunisia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Zambia, Zimbabwe

https://worldjusticeproject.org/rule-of-law-index/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be fair, didn't find it that cheap and wasn't exactly whoring it up. I spend less in Thailand, though the somewhat watered 50c beers and great cocktails are a revelation - Thailand used to be a bit like that.

Someone said Thais are not, or no longer, genuine. Folk should get out more. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

But they never include cost of having a wife/gf/children in these studies.

If that was included, Cambodia would get a lot cheaper in the rankings.

True that. Western wife 70 to 80% of anything u have.

These studies never report reality.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I got pavement and a ticket to the US (if I can leave lol)

Me. I wake and bake. I watch TV. I clean the house. I Bake. I eat lunch. I take nap. I take pictures. I make dinner. I bake. I go to a bar and bake some more. I rent me a squirmer. Kick her out and bake. Read. Sleep. Water the flowers. I dont golf. Im tired of malls

The day I worry about $.13 is the day I should be buried. Please tell me you are kidding.

Obviously. If I wanted a car (other than an old Willys) Id just pay the 80K for a new one. How bout you?

I know a place like that

In your reality. Its fine for mine.

Should have a beer with you in June. You call a spade a spade

10 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Geez, I know of many many places in Pattaya for $200 a month that look as good as that. With the same or better amenities.  Surrounded by a more modern environment, not 3rd world.

By the way, what do you do all day?

In Thailand you can play golf with many course options, go to a modern mall with food and movie options, many gyms, restaurants, walk on the beach Naklua is very nice, and geez so many great girls.  What else would an active healthy man want?

Get real, SR is not even close to the lifestyle of many places in Thailand.

If a persons life focus is cheap beer, I feel sorry for them.

Golf is a waste of time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

ahh Cambodia, might be cheap country to live in (as evidenced of the above posters),

Cambodia ranked 127 out of 128 countries on rule of law

Not sure why you are trying to convince guys that are living there that they are wrong. They are giving their real experiences. You are giving internet articles. You are happy in Thailand and that is great. Nobody is forcing you to live in Cambodia. ???? 

PS. I have lived in Zimbabwe and I have been to Cambodia many times. How anyone can rank Zimbabwe above Cambodia is just so wrong.

PPS. I am happy in Thailand, but it is not changing for the better.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

I am sorry, but utter rubbish - $100 per month on a mat in a room! I rent a fully furnished modern pent house type apartment in the quiet Wat Bo Village area of Siem Reap (photo below). My apartment covers the complete upper floor with smaller apartments below. Cost - $250 per month inclusive of WiFi, multi channel cable TV and refuse collection. Bedroom this end with panoramic window, then bathroom, lounge and kitchen at far end. Bedroom and lounge both have flat screen wall TV's and air-conditioning units, also fans throughout. Cambodian beers are, in my opinion, far better and of greater value than Thai brews also smoking is a disgusting habit. 

IMG_2398.JPG

That looks great value.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, UbonThani said:

Should have a beer with you in June. You call a spade a spade

Ill hopefully be in the USA, living large in the greatest country on the planet and getting ready to come to my winter home in Cambodia/Thailand by stocking up on unobtanium goodies.

3 hours ago, rhodie said:

Not sure why you are trying to convince guys that are living there that they are wrong. They are giving their real experiences. You are giving internet articles. You are happy in Thailand and that is great. Nobody is forcing you to live in Cambodia

He likes to bad mouth Cambodia, he does it over in a Cambodian message board too. Its the old broken heart, this place sucks story. Coming from a guy in Phuket mind you.

I find that folks who have a hobby of internet whinging are not very happy people in life.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

Justice? Its far far far cheaper here than in Thailand. You can clear that traffic offense for less than $10. No 500 baht fines here

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Ill hopefully be in the USA, living large in the greatest country on the planet and getting ready to come to my winter home in Cambodia/Thailand by stocking up on unobtanium goodies.

He likes to bad mouth Cambodia, he does it over in a Cambodian message board too. Its the old broken heart, this place sucks story. Coming from a guy in Phuket mind you.

I find that folks who have a hobby of internet whinging are not very happy people in life.

They are giving their real experiences. You are giving internet articles.

Bad mouth Cambodia:::  lol

i just tell it like it is, I have a lot more invested in time and life in Cambodia than you, Own land and house in Svay Rieng, own land in Kep, (Of course in gf's name) have a khmer gf for almost 10 years, have Khmer and expat friends there, have lived there for a year, been all over the country with my car an been traveling there for over 18 years

Take off ur rose colored glasses..

It is what it is, if ur happy there, great i am happy for you.

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 6:25 PM, phuketrichard said:

you do the math

Interesting information, but I'm not sure how many businesses doing a serious happy hour would be buying pony kegs. How much does a full size keg cost? That would be more indicative of the actual cost.

Long term rent is easier and cheaper to find in Thailand than in Cambodia but on other hand side save a lot on visa and beer costs to make that up.
Today I had a shoarma and 4 draft beers at 60B each, would have been 8 beers and 2x the shoarma in Cambodia. To finish with a selection of 20 indoor weeds for a few bucks. It is always relative, those websites with 'expat prices' are not reliable at all. 

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Long term rent is easier and cheaper to find in Thailand than in Cambodia but on other hand side save a lot on visa and beer costs to make that up.
Today I had a shoarma and 4 draft beers at 60B each, would have been 8 beers and 2x the shoarma in Cambodia. To finish with a selection of 20 indoor weeds for a few bucks. It is always relative, those websites with 'expat prices' are not reliable at all. 

Are u one of these finer Pattaya expats deciding abt ur next location purely on the Purchase prices of beers and shoarma? How about girl rental prices ? Just to avoid any hidden costs in ur calculations.

On 3/11/2020 at 4:21 PM, baansgr said:

Thailand isn't expensive, in fact it could be cheaper than 10 years ago...rents are cheaper, chicken is cheaper, eggs are cheaper. Thailand has to be one of the cheapest places to live if you don't drink or associate with Thais. Where else could you make a healthy chicken and veg/salad meal for 4 people costing a dollar...yes 25cents a person...takes some beating...even fish don't cost much more more....however I spent $15 on 4 items at Siamburis today...which would have cost half that in UK...

Not sure where in thailand you are living, but things are certainly not cheaper than 10 or 20 years ago. 

As for a 25 cent chicken meal for 4, even if you hit the chicken in your car you arent cooking it for that price. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/16/2020 at 9:47 PM, Destiny1990 said:

How about girl rental prices ?

Cheaper in Cambodia

On 3/16/2020 at 9:36 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

Long term rent is easier and cheaper to find in Thailand than in Cambodia

BS.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

okay where are these stellar rental deals?  

Well I for one am paying about $150 less for 3x the space in Siem vis a vis BKK. How bout you? How much more are you paying here in Cambo?