Wholemeal bread recipe

Hi all. Make a couple of loaves standard white bread every week and have a tried and true recipe. Managed to get a few packs of wholemeal flour and going to have a crack at that. Do I need to change anything in my recipe (more / less water, yeast etc) to allow for the wholemeal flour or just do the same as I always do?

Did my first wholemeal this morning and looks like its going to be a dud. Just didn't rise up much. Used same quantities as I have done every week for 3 years but mix seemed like wet oatmeal.

I ended up adding approximately another 500 grams of normal white flour to get it to a

bread / dough consistency. I am just wondering if the bag of wholemeal "flour" I got is meant to be an additive to normal flour? On the pack says 75% wholemeal 25% flour. It's risen, but about half as much as I would have expected it too. I don't normally like Imperial brand products but this was the only game in town and cheap at 60 baht / kilo.

Any ideas? My normal mix 900gr white bread flour, 3 cups water....yeast, sugar, salt. Whether or not same as others I don't know but I have been making perfect bread with that recipe for a long time. The whole wheat I am using is just a whole different dynamic.

20200314_102858.jpg

• Like 1

Wholewheat doesn't rise the same as white flour.

Use 10% wholewheat +90% white and it'll work well.

If you use more than 25% wholewheat it's usually a disaster.

As you haven't said what recipe you used for your wholewheat bread, we can only guess what went wrong.

Edited by BritManToo

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Wholewheat doesn't rise the same as white flour.

Use 10% wholewheat +90% white and it'll work well.

If you use more than 25% wholewheat it's usually a disaster.

As you haven't said what recipe you used for your wholewheat bread, we can only guess what went wrong.

"My normal mix 900gr white bread flour, 3 cups water....yeast, sugar, salt"

2 tablespoon sugar and salt. 25 grams yeast

I originally added 900gr whole wheat mix I have in place of white flour. Was way to wet, so added approx another 500grams of white flour to turn it into a stiffer dough.

What about the original reply above guy says mix the same? or sometimes 50/ 50? He must be talking about if you use a already blended mix or something. This stuff I got doesn't resemble flour at all, like I said texture of oatmeal, even though the pack says its flour. Obviously pure wholemeal additive to mix with flour which is fine. Will know next time. I'll do like you said 10%, and rest white flour. It still actually tastes very good albeit very dense and heavy. Bit like that heavy German Rye bread. Should make nice toast anyhoo 5555

Edited by Tingtong2mut
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tingtong2mut said:

Did my first wholemeal this morning and looks like its going to be a dud. Just didn't rise up much. Used same quantities as I have done every week for 3 years but mix seemed like wet oatmeal.

I ended up adding approximately another 500 grams of normal white flour to get it to a

bread / dough consistency. I am just wondering if the bag of wholemeal "flour" I got is meant to be an additive to normal flour? On the pack says 75% wholemeal 25% flour. It's risen, but about half as much as I would have expected it too. I don't normally like Imperial brand products but this was the only game in town and cheap at 60 baht / kilo.

Any ideas? My normal mix 900gr white bread flour, 3 cups water....yeast, sugar, salt. Whether or not same as others I don't know but I have been making perfect bread with that recipe for a long time. The whole wheat I am using is just a whole different dynamic.

20200314_102858.jpg

I had the same problem when I first used wholemeal flour. It didn't rise much as I didn't mix it with bread flour. It looked like a discus and tasted not very good.

I have attached a recipe which you could try. It works for me and you can change it to suit the way you do it.

whole wheat bread rolls v06a.docx

Much better result today. Only used a cup of wholemeal (to approx 8 cups bread flour). Not very grainy but looks the biz and rose well. I do notice the whole wheat doesn't absorb water at all. I think next time I will make my normal mix with white flour and add a couple of cups of whole wheat without increasing water. Should be about perfect ????

20200315_083716.jpg

20200315_111815.jpg

20200315_111824.jpg

20200315_114032.jpg