BANGKOK
Grumpy John

Another disappointing year for mango growers.

1 hour ago, Grumpy John said:

Khiaw Savoei are great ripe no doubt about it, but I need a big hit of sweetness everyday and #4's hit the spot!  Si Tong are OK and I do like the slightly less sweet citrus taste of R2E2's.  Now you maybe thinking I  am a sugar freak....which I was but I  have cut a lot of cane sugar out of my diet. Went from 102kg to 91kg just by cutting out bread,  a lot of pasta and a lot of sugar.  Oh,  and reduced salt.  Going from salted butter to no salt butter was a challenge.  Back on Oz I used to eat lots of mango's.....nothing has changed here! 

I don't know the #4 namdocmai, here they sell the gold one, the green (yellow-green) one which is sweeter, and namdocmai mun they huge one. So is #4 the green one because gold is the si thong?

I don't care much for r2e2, then i like a ripe keo sawoei more.

Yes we also try to eat less sugar, a sweet mango is a sugarbomb...but we have pasta today and tomorrow! With much cheese.

And real butter is always much better than what the thai bakeries use, shortening or that margarine in a can...i can't believe that's any good for a person. But yes i'm also 91 now and that's fat for me...so something has to go out of my diet soon...

#4 translates to Bur Si.  Slightly smaller than Si Tong and yellow in colour as opposed to yellow/gold. The garbage they call butter is mostly margarine made from huge quantities of palm oil.   Butter blend is almost as bad.  The wife suggested I make my oats and chocolate muffins out of Thai butter...the difference in taste was notible...in a bad way!  I know it hurts the wallet paying for real butter,  and cheese but the exchange rate will get better and then I will feel better!  Everyone back home used to think Thai food is healthy food so I  took a picture of the MSG section in Makro and the display of margarine in plastic bags and now a lot of people are up to speed on how healthy Thai food is not!  I think my health jumped several points when we left Pattaya and came to the village where the wife does most of the cooking. 

Well a buyer came and bought some #4 (Bur si)  mangoes.  Two thirds were considered 2nd (B Grade) or down grade (for sauce, jam or processing). A grade 8 baht/kg, B grade 4 baht/kg and 2 baht for the rest.  Some A grade are now B grade even with the smallest mark.   How times have changed!  

On 4/1/2020 at 11:13 AM, Grumpy John said:

Well a buyer came and bought some #4 (Bur si)  mangoes.  Two thirds were considered 2nd (B Grade) or down grade (for sauce, jam or processing). A grade 8 baht/kg, B grade 4 baht/kg and 2 baht for the rest.  Some A grade are now B grade even with the smallest mark.   How times have changed!  

John,

they are opportunists that offer crazy low like that. Sounds almost the way they hit papaya farmers 2 years ago offering them 2.5baht/kg. At that point we helped an entire groups of our customers to sell it in bulk directly to a canning factory for 10baht/kg this year before covid they where selling at 12.2baht/kg and we also helped connect their group to one of the largest som tum restaurant chains in Thailand they are still delivering too both cutting out the middleman. 

A friend of ours exports loads of fruit and vegetables to other countries in the region last I talked business with him he said they were short on supply on organic mango for export to Singapore. But I dont know what the current situation is right now. Did you grow organic or conventional? 

33 minutes ago, Evolare said:

John,

they are opportunists that offer crazy low like that. Sounds almost the way they hit papaya farmers 2 years ago offering them 2.5baht/kg. At that point we helped an entire groups of our customers to sell it in bulk directly to a canning factory for 10baht/kg this year before covid they where selling at 12.2baht/kg and we also helped connect their group to one of the largest som tum restaurant chains in Thailand they are still delivering too both cutting out the middleman. 

A friend of ours exports loads of fruit and vegetables to other countries in the region last I talked business with him he said they were short on supply on organic mango for export to Singapore. But I dont know what the current situation is right now. Did you grow organic or conventional? 

Hi Evolare, conventional grown mangoes.  We have green mango varieties Mun Felun and Khieo Sawoei on the trees but we running out of time to do anything.  I am eating the last of the #4 and Gold mangoes but at 3 or 4 a day, my limit,  many will go off before I can get to them.