Air in two northern locals seven times beyond safe

snoop1130

Air in two northern locals seven times beyond safe

By THE NATION

800_fcf739094feaf87.jpeg

Air pollution has been at hazardous levels in the North for three consecutive days, with two areas recording more than 350 micrograms of dangerous PM2.5 particles per cubic metre.

The sub-district of Wiang Phang Kham in Chiang Rai was at 356mcg of PM2.5 on Wednesday morning (March 11) and Chong Kham in Mae Hong Son province 384.

Chiang Mai residents were meanwhile gagging on PM2.5 levels topping 200mcg during the morning, maintaining the capital’s status as the world’s worst-polluted city in terms of air quality, as ranked on the AirVisual online application. 

By afternoon, however, the level had dropped below 100mcg.

Fifteen locales in the North were deemed to be at “slightly unhealthy” levels and five “unhealthy”. 

In the span of 24 hours, the PM2.5 average was between 43 and 269mcg. 

The safe limit in Thailand is 50. 

Department of Pollution Control deputy director general Thaloengsak Phetsuwan blamed the pollution on forest fires both inside and outside Thailand.

“Most of the hotspots we found were in Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son, but there were also more than 60 in Chiang Rai. The level of dust particles was high today in Chiang Rai because the wind was blowing them in from Chiang Mai and Lampang.”

Thaloengsak said controlling the air quality was the duty of provincial governors and the Army, but the collaboration of nearby countries is also essential.

“Our department has sent a letter to the Asean secretary on this matter, asking him to inform other countries of the need for collaboration.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383866

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-11
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Thaloengsak said controlling the air quality was the duty of provincial governors and the Army,

... but what are these Provincial Governors doing?

The answer might be a first step.

And then:

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

..., but the collaboration of nearby countries is also essential.

So it seems there is a plan !?

Well done, Department of Pollution Control deputy director general Thaloengsak Phetsuwan !

250 PM 2.5 in my Chiang Rai condo today. Thankfully, my air purifier got it down to 45 in half an hour.

When they start jailing the pooyais of villages where there is burning off, maybe the culture will change. Until then, choke on it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

I tend to be pragmatic and don't get hysterical about stuff I can't control.

Agreed with this, 100 % Mr villagefarang.

But isn't there more we - The Aliens could do?

Over the years I really appreciated your photos and posts on Thaivisa.

There was a period you weren't there. Too bad.

And now, because we're too(?) old we shouldn't raise our concerns?

My English is a bit restricted, my Thai even worse.

And there is not enough money backing me.

This AirPollution in Indochina is getting worse each year.

So, let it be, let it be?

Answers really appreciated.

Yom

Edited by Yom
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yom said:

Agreed with this, 100 % Mr villagefarang.

But isn't there more we - The Aliens could do?

You are more than welcome to do whatever makes you feel better.  I may not believe it will make any difference but I am not about to tell you what you "must" do, like some people.

I am the type who adapts to the weather, heat, cold, wind, rain, I just adapt. It might make a person feel better to complain but it doesn't change the weather, in my opinion.  

It is also my belief that nobody likes a foreigner or outsider telling them what to do, especially when they weren't asked in the first place.  I am not saying I am right and someone else is wrong.  I have simply found a way which works for me and I am open to allowing others the same freedom.

Glad you liked my photos but not sure how relevant that is to this topic.????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yom said:
40 minutes ago, Yom said:

This AirPollution in Indochina is getting worse each year.

So, let it be, let it be?

Dear Mr villagefarang,

I didn't hear an answer.

I am not convinced there is an answer.  The virus seems to have made an impact on pollution in China but I am not sure that is the way to go.

That is it for me tonight.  It is my bedtime.????

Edited by villagefarang

''We would steal the air if we could as if we're short of breathe.  Only if we're sure that it would have the cause and effect.  If some part of us good, tell me where it is kept'' - Akala

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Post removed.

English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed. Short Thai translation of technical terms is permitted in specialty forums.

13 hours ago, Yom said:

but what are these Provincial Governors doing?

The answer might be a first step.

We know the answer... <deleted>-all.

A bit like the Songkran issue, "we can't stop anyone doing anything".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fxe1200 said:

" The safe limit in Thailand is 50. " It is 25 in Europe. ☹️

The USA's EPA has stated that the short-term standard (24-hour or daily average) for PM 2.5 is 35 micrograms per cubic meter of air (µg/m3) and the long-term standard (annual average) is 12 µg/m3.

The EPA doesn't call these numbers "safe" but uses weasel words "deemed protective of public health" which basically means nothing.

Thailand decided to bump it to 50 (short-term or long-term standard???) although to date I"ve seen nothing about what studies were used to determine that (nor do I expect to ever see such).

(China did something similar and has a separate way of citing AQI levels which are approx. 1/3 of the USA's system. See the Settings option on Air Visual's app).

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Thanks 1

You call those trees or twigs?

how I interpret that is 93 air polluted days gives me the variation that I want...365 days of excellent quality is the goal whether blue cloudy or foggy...

I guess you would move away from that village b/c w/o the air pollution, those days are blue hence no variation...

Edited by cardinalblue
  • Haha 1