No Corona Test Nong Khai

LekFAB

On 3/12/2020 at 9:25 AM, colinneil said:

What a load of cobblers, waited for an ambulance? Why?

If you needed to get to hospital, there are many ways to do it.

You got to hospital, then expected to be seen immediately, nobody else waiting to be seen?

Most government hospitals have a sign saying.... Emergency treated quickly, less serious 1 hour, non emergency 2 hours.

You are no different to anybody else, yet expect immediate treatment.

You must be a very confused person, you post as a man, yet your avatar says female.

They turned on a fan for him and he's still complaining. ????????

• Haha 2

On 3/12/2020 at 9:32 AM, LekFAB said:

Was forced onto a plane from India the other week that after arrival to collect us needed spraying due to corona victim being on board

Air Asia or Indian army would not let us go back to waiting area as we were allready on ramp down to entrance for plane .

No choice but to fly.

No asked do you want to fly on this infected plane  or anything

Yet again no response from Air Asia

now you see why I want my story heard .

I don't do face book or Twitter so how do you get it out there & force a reply ?

i have just received an email from Air Asia announcing that all their aircraft are given a through scrubbing even night in order to mitigate against the corona virus.  they say that his take about 2 hrs per aircraft.  i am concerned that most Air Asia flights are usually turned around within 20 minutes when in scheduled service.  this is hardly enough time to disinfect a plane prior to departure.  

10 hours ago, robblok said:

Should be but i read in the BKK post that even in the US people are turned down when they want a test for the corona virus. So don't only blame Thailand it happens in the US too. Nice article about a woman developing it her friends who had it too were turned down for tests too. They did not cough enough so no test was done by the DR. 

So in the US its far from perfect just like here there are just not enough tests the tests are expensive.

The latest uk advice is that if you experience a fever or cough, then stay at 

home force week and if things get worse then call 111.

I'm sure only about 20000 people have been tested so far with about 520 positive

results. 

I have no idea how many people have been tested in Thailand, but in the UK

you cannot turn up at the doctor's or hospital demanding a test, if you have travelled

from a highly infectious area then you get priority.

7 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Why should people have to pay to get tested?

Its a PUBLIC health matter.

Just a theory, but using resources etc on a "maybe" at present is not the priority, testing people who show symptoms and therefore may have it, is not.

see the difference ? but that's just my opinion as to why those just asking are charged. Those sent as a result of a failed test somewhere, do not.(at present)

The poster is warning us about that there is no testing and want us to be aware of that. So we can assume that everyone is infected without knowing it and the MOPH numbers of infected people is surtently not to be trusted as a source for information about how big the risk is that the people you meet everyday is infected or not.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Trollmann said:

The poster is warning us about that there is no testing and want us to be aware of that. So we can assume that everyone is infected without knowing it and the MOPH numbers of infected people is surtently not to be trusted as a source for information about how big the risk is that the people you meet everyday is infected or not.

"So we can assume that everyone is infected without knowing it"

Really? Don't be paranoid,please.

• Like 1

Here is some info from a FB post:

COVID 19 testing experience at Chula Hospital (King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital)

Since there are many news stories and theories going around the internet about the virus, I think it might be good to share my experience at the hospital testing for COVID19 so you guys are more informed. 

There are around 18 hospitals that can test COVID in Bangkok at the moment. I called a few and ended up choosing Chula because it's on the cheaper end.

Chula is one of the biggest hospitals in Thailand. If you are lost, just ask for the COVID building and people will know where to take you.

During the screening process, they asked me a lot of questions to assess my risk level. In my case, I have all the symptoms + hangout with people that just got back from Japan. 

The first screening cost 200thb+. Then the next step is a chest x-ray which cost me 1050thb. 

After the x-ray, I got to see the doctor where she asked a lot more questions. I wasn't super sick but still wanted to take the actual covid test so I needed to pay myself for a swab test. This step cost 2500thb. If you are super sick or fit the risky profile, the swab test will be free. This test involves getting the back of your throat and inside of your nose swabbed for the virus and tested by the lab.

After that you can go home and they will call/email you the result in a day or two. 

The hospital was not really busy and everyone seemed to know what they were doing.

So the whole thing was 3550thb or around 120USD. It was super fast and accessible if you are in BKK. 

Feel free to leave a question, I'll try to answer what I know. King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital

Note that it might cost a few hundred THB more for foreigners. 
When I called, they said it could cost 3-6K THB. And here are prices from other hospitals that I know of

Bangkok hospital: 25k
Paolo and Prayathai 2: around 5k-6.5k. 
Praram 9: 8k-12k.
Vichaiyuth: around 10k+ but free if you fit the risky profile

I'm not 100% sure of the foreigners price, prob should check directly with the hospital if you wanna go in.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, mrfill said:

Why should people have to pay to get tested?

Its a PUBLIC health matter.

If it is a public health matter then it is up to the local authorities (preferably determined by health professionals) what the criteria is for who is to be tested and in what conditions.   That may or may not include random people if it is not at the stage of community transmission.  In the end SOMEONE has to pay and if you are not a local on the 30 baht / month health plan then why should it fall on the taxpayers of Thailand when supposedly (given existing criteria) you should have more than sufficient funds to be able to pay for it out of your pocket. 

I agree that first world nations should/would just be absorbed as a health emergency, but for developing nations which don't have the same safety net that western countries have -- choices have to be made.  In fact for developing nations I would expect it would be in the interests of the world community to fund widespread testing through WHO or other international health organizations.  And any one individual having the disease and wandering freely is a public health risk.  Simply put, why should someone from a rich country coming here without sufficient health coverage and having sufficient funds to qualify to be here - expect a poorer nation to subsidize you?

• Like 2

On 3/12/2020 at 7:24 PM, lungbing said:

There are certainly not hundreds of Chinese passing through Nong Khai daily.   We arrived back in Khon Kaen this afternoon after a three day break in Nong Khai.  The town is deserted.  You can see from one end of Tasadet market to the other.  You could stand in the middle of the road outside the main post office and a couple of bikes might go round you, but you would be in no danger from vehicles.  The promenade walk along the river front is empty.  One of the  big restaurants  on the river front is closed, the other one, Daeng, so-so busy, but only with locals.  Face masks useage is  virtually non-existant.

All this as a result of the poor economy or the virus?  I don't know.

Why would they need a facemask, unless they are infected already? A facemask will do nothing to prevent the catching of a virus. The facemask only prevents the already infected from coughing fluid into the air or into someone else's space.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 5:24 AM, lungbing said:

There are certainly not hundreds of Chinese passing through Nong Khai daily.   We arrived back in Khon Kaen this afternoon after a three day break in Nong Khai.  The town is deserted.  You can see from one end of Tasadet market to the other.  You could stand in the middle of the road outside the main post office and a couple of bikes might go round you, but you would be in no danger from vehicles.  The promenade walk along the river front is empty.  One of the  big restaurants  on the river front is closed, the other one, Daeng, so-so busy, but only with locals.  Face masks useage is  virtually non-existant.

All this as a result of the poor economy or the virus?  I don't know.

The Chinese are not travelling yet, many still refuse to return to their jobs even though the State is pushing them to return.  They certainly are not thinking about vacationing right now.  There is real concern about China economy and saving money, plus their employers are not approving vacations.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 8:51 AM, Bkk Brian said:

The OP too all the right steps, the hospital took all the wrong steps. Saying there's no COVID in Issan shows just how ignorant and unprepared they are.

The only ignorance here is you clearly not understanding how medical and hospital systems work.

Not every hospital is equipped to deal with every illness or form of treatment and that doesn’t only apply to Thailand, it applies in Australia and from what Ihave observed the UK as well particularly when the hospital is small.

It is routine practice for patients to be transferred to where the specialized treatment exists, I wouldn’t expect my local hospital here in Thailand to be able to deal with the Coronavirus or some of the hospitals in Sydney either.

• Like 1

My daughter in uk sent me this information. 

From member of the Stanford hospital board. This is their feedback for now on Corona virus: The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected? By the time they have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% Fibrosis and it's too late. Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning. Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection. In critical time, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air. Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases: Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That's very dangerous. Please send and share this with family and friends. Take care everyone and may the world recover from this Coronavirus soon. IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS 1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold 2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose. 3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun. 4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne. 5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap. 6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it. 7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice. 8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on. 9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice. 10. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water! THE SYMPTOMS 1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days 2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further. 3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing. 4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

SHARE WITH FAMILY and FRIENDS

6 hours ago, StevieAus said:

The only ignorance here is you clearly not understanding how medical and hospital systems work.

Not every hospital is equipped to deal with every illness or form of treatment and that doesn’t only apply to Thailand, it applies in Australia and from what Ihave observed the UK as well particularly when the hospital is small.

It is routine practice for patients to be transferred to where the specialized treatment exists, I wouldn’t expect my local hospital here in Thailand to be able to deal with the Coronavirus or some of the hospitals in Sydney either.

I repeat the hospital did everything wrong, they stated there's no COVID in Issan, how would they know, they stated the OP has to go to Bangkok for a test, wrong again there are other nearer hospitals with labs nearer than that. Obviously small local hospitals do not always have those sorts of facilities but then as I said that is obvious. Providing correct information for a possible COVID suffer however would also be an obvious response from the hospital rather then sending him away with false info.

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:
7 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I repeat the hospital did everything wrong, they stated there's no COVID in Issan, how would they know, they stated the OP has to go to Bangkok for a test, wrong again there are other nearer hospitals with labs nearer than that. Obviously small local hospitals do not always have those sorts of facilities but then as I said that is obvious. Providing correct information for a possible COVID suffer however would also be an obvious response from the hospital rather then sending him away with false info.

That's all very well if you take what the OP claims as gospel. NK residents have already pointed out there are no vast amounts of Chinese there. As for the weird AirAsia India experience, I am unaware that they flew direct to Isaan so there's maybe a significant bit of the OP's itinerary missing.

Anyway, the OP's gone quiet so maybe they're flapping somewhere else.