Laser Disc Players

Rasseru

Do you have an existing library of LaserDiscs?

- as in have the later Digital ones? or the more venerable Analaog ones? 

In my case, having collected sooo many of both vintages, I searched out firstly the grandpappy of them all, the Pioneer LD1100.  Mine was a PAL one, and did a great job performing on (Analog) CAV discs. Having the old one took a great workload off my machine... the ducks guts one from Pioneer, the DVL909

The DVL909 was a combo LD/DVD unit. Fully reverse compatible with the old Analogs; it was switchable between pure PAL and pure NTSC, also played NTSC back as PAL60
The trick to keep in mind is to find one that had been (factory) amended to enable unrestricted Remote Control accessed International Zone switching (for the DvD section)

Keeping focussed on the DVL909, this means to keep a lookout for the Gold model, released prior to Mid 1998;

as units released after this - can never be Retrofitted for Zone Switch feature, beyond the original 5 attempts.  

Edited by tifino

Thank you, tifino, for all your thoughtful advice. Yes, I have an existing library of LDs, more than 300 as I recall from the last time I counted, which was years ago. All analogue, no digital.

The LD player I used to use died seven or eight years ago; I never replaced it. I have acquired since then DVD or Blu-ray copies of many of the films in my LD collection, but I would like to be able to play all my LDs too.

I started today looking into buying a player through Amazon Japan, and have found there, if I remember the model number correctly, a Pioneer DVL 919, which like your 909 plays both LDs and DVDs. Do you know it? Recommend it?

• Like 1

heard it was pretty much just a latter version of the 909, just with the newer DTS Sound. 

Never considered going there, due to the already known Blocking of the ReZoning feature.  Thinking back, it was a Sept1998 Delivery cut off. 

Mine was of the very last shipment (of six), and Delivered modified from the factory.  

Bottom line though is that a LaserDisc purist might not ever be bothered using the DvD section anyway... 

My entire sound system being still based around Scart and Dolby Surround

Mrs hates LaserDisc, for the Intermissions between swapping of Discs ????  

I even avoid Fast Side Swap feature, to reduce long term wear'n'tear on the mechansims (i.e all that braking)