Visas on arrival being denied 18 nationalities

Visa restrictions for citizens from VoA and high-risk countries effective March 13th

thai-visa-exemption.jpg

Thailand’s Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda have signed an announcement which temporarily suspends the visa on arrival facility for citizens of 18 countries and visa free entry for citizens of three COVID-19 high-risk countries, effective from March 13th.

The Prime Minister called an urgent meeting this morning with Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai, Interior Minister Anupong and director-general of the Consular Services Department, to discuss the visa restrictions, after concerns were raised that they may breach bilateral agreements with some of the countries involved.

The Prime Minister also signed an order appointing a committee to manage the Centre for the Management of the COVID-19 Situation, chaired by the Prime Minister.

The committee comprises 16 ministers, the national police chief, the secretary-general of National Security Council, secretary-general to the Prime Minister and the permanent secretary of the PM’s Office.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/visa-restrictions-for-citizens-from-voa-and-high-risk-countries-effective-march-13th/

thaipbs.jpg
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The 18 countries are Bulgaria, Bhutan, Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Malta, Mexico, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu and “China (including Taiwan)”.

Russia does not appear on the list of countries eligible for visas on arrival. They get a 30 day visa exempt entry under a bilateral agreement with Thailand which means Thais get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

From this official list. http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/filemanager/VISA/Visa on Arrival/VOA.pdf

image.png.b2d0807b466a718c9d336533a4838179.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, roderick17 said:

Its strange, not a single case of the Corona virus has been reported in Papua New Guinea  and yet there country is now declared as high risk !!  

It has not been declared high risk.

Thailand has simply stopped issuing visas on arrival, period, and PNG is one of the countries that used to be able to get one.

People from PNG can still enter if they get a visa in advance.

• Thanks 1

If Thailand stopped all VOA what is the Visa  I get on  Arrival  from America?

Not sure anything has changed  for arrival from USA?  Even if we were to transit through Shanghai or Tokyo?

Any idea on what  clean bill of health  would entail?  I cant imagine every  getting a test for this reason  as hard as it is to get a test.   And 1300$

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Elkski said:

Not sure anything has changed  for arrival from USA?  Even if we were to transit through Shanghai or Tokyo?

Any idea on what  clean bill of health  would entail?  I cant imagine every  getting a test for this reason  as hard as it is to get a test.   And 1300$

You get a visa waiver - in other words you are on the list of countries that qualify for such. Not the same as a visa on arrival.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

As I have already written before they have canceled visas on arrival for every country that qualified for them.

They decided it was best to just stop issuing them. 

A good idea.. it cannot guarantee anything but it is a step in the right direction, no health cert, no boarding a flight. Something has to start somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Elkski said:

You are in a category called "Visa Exempt," which is different from "Visa On Arrival". Regarding your transit airport, I would not recommend China or Hong Kong. At the moment, the better choices would be Tokyo or Singapore, since people coming from these locations still do not need a "CV-free clean bill of health in order to board a plane."

15 minutes ago, Fig1 said:

My question is I work in Kazakhstan and have a US passport am I able to travel from Kazakhstan to Thailand and get a visa on arrival let I do every other month.

You will get a 30 day visa exempt entry not a 15 day visa on arrival after applying for it.

30 minutes ago, AlienHermit66 said:

You are in a category called "Visa Exempt," which is different from "Visa On Arrival". Regarding your transit airport, I would not recommend China or Hong Kong. At the moment, the better choices would be Tokyo or Singapore, since people coming from these locations still do not need a "CV-free clean bill of health in order to board a plane."

From Thai Embassy website, "TRANSIT PASSENGERS:  Passengers transiting these countries for fewer than 12 hours do not have to present a health certificate or fill out the T-8 questionnaire.  They will be subject to enhanced screening.  Passengers transiting these countries for more than 12 hours will be treated as if they are passengers arriving from those designated locations."    The countries they're referring to are "China, Korea, Hong Kong, Macau, Italy, and Iran"

ref:https://th.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Visa restrictions for citizens from VoA and high-risk countries effective March 13th

thai-visa-exemption.jpg

Thailand’s Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda have signed an announcement which temporarily suspends the visa on arrival facility for citizens of 18 countries and visa free entry for citizens of three COVID-19 high-risk countries, effective from March 13th.

The Prime Minister called an urgent meeting this morning with Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai, Interior Minister Anupong and director-general of the Consular Services Department, to discuss the visa restrictions, after concerns were raised that they may breach bilateral agreements with some of the countries involved.

The Prime Minister also signed an order appointing a committee to manage the Centre for the Management of the COVID-19 Situation, chaired by the Prime Minister.

The committee comprises 16 ministers, the national police chief, the secretary-general of National Security Council, secretary-general to the Prime Minister and the permanent secretary of the PM’s Office.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/visa-restrictions-for-citizens-from-voa-and-high-risk-countries-effective-march-13th/

thaipbs.jpg

That picture does not show visa on arrival, these entry stamps are for all, also those arriving from visa exempted counties... mind the difference, topic was VoA...

• Like 1

A friend of mine - Italian passport holder who grew up and lives in Switzerland - was told by the Thai embassy in Switzerland that he's banned from visiting. Period. The risk is in the passport, not in where people might and might not get exposed.

Yes, Einstein, I know: how can Immigration tell? They can't, but the embassy offered zero support such as certificate of Swiss residency would be okay or such...