Trump met Brazilian official with coronavirus, but says 'not concerned'

webfact

Trump met Brazilian official with coronavirus, but says 'not concerned'

By Steve Holland and Anthony Boadle

2020-03-12T164351Z_1_LYNXMPEG2B1QW_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-USA-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump talks to reporters as he meets with Ireland's Prime Minister, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, U.S., March 12, 2020. REUTERS/Leah Millis

WASHINGTON/BRASILIA (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday said he was not concerned about the possibility of being exposed to the coronavirus after dining last week with a Brazilian government official who has since tested positive for the disease.

The day after announcing curbs on travel to the United States by European Union residents, Trump brushed off concerns about his possible exposure to the virus, which has sickened more than 126,000 people in a worldwide pandemic.

"Let's put it this way: I'm not concerned," Trump told reporters while meeting with Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar in the Oval Office.

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, who had been at the dinner with Trump in Palm Beach, Florida, has been tested for coronavirus and is awaiting the result, his son Eduardo wrote on Twitter, adding that the president was not showing any symptoms.

Brazilian officials on Thursday confirmed that Brazil's communications secretary, Fabio Wajngarten, has the coronavirus and is now under quarantine at home.

The entire Brazilian delegation that travelled to Florida with Bolsonaro is being tested for the virus, a senior member of the president's staff told Reuters.

White House spokeswoman Stephanie Grisham said Trump and Vice President Mike Pence had "almost no interactions" with the Brazilian official and that they "do not require being tested at this time."

She said the White House medical unit and the U.S. Secret Service are ensuring that "every precaution is taken" to ensure the good health of Trump and Pence, their families and staff.

“We are monitoring the situation closely and will update everyone as we get more information," she said.

Bolsonaro and Wajngarten also visited the U.S. military's Southern Command headquarters near Miami on Sunday. Southern Command said in a statement it had no reports of suspected or confirmed coronavirus infections among its personnel.

The coronavirus pandemic and fallout is shaping up to be perhaps the greatest crisis of Trump's presidency. Former Vice President Joe Biden, the front-runner for the Democratic nomination to challenge Trump's bid for re-election in November, criticized the administration's handling of the coronavirus outbreak on Thursday afternoon.

Wajngarten had been on an official visit to the United States with Bolsonaro and posted a photo on Instagram of the meeting at Trump's Mar-a-Lago club last Saturday, showing him standing next to Trump while wearing a "Make Brazil Great Again" cap. Pence was next to Trump.

Brazilian newspaper O Estado de S. Paulo reported that Bolsonaro's test results were due on Friday. It added that other Cabinet ministers on the trip will also be tested.

Two Republican U.S. senators who attended the visit by the Brazilian delegation said they would quarantine themselves.

Senator Rick Scott of Florida, a Republican, on Thursday said he had met with a member of Bolsonaro's staff.

"While I do not believe I interacted with the infected person, that individual was in the same room as me," Scott said in a statement. "The health and safety of the American people is my focus and I have made the decision to self-quarantine."

U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, a close Trump ally, did not recollect direct contact with Bolsonaro while at Mar-a-Lago but would quarantine himself out of "an abundance of caution" and on his doctor's advice, his office said in a statement.

Bolsonaro's son Eduardo, a federal congressman who also attended the meeting at Mar-a-Lago, wrote on Twitter that he was on his way to get tested.

Four days ago, he posted a photo of himself standing behind the U.S. president, next to Trump's daughter, Ivanka, and close to his son-in-law, Jared Kushner.

Brazil's foreign minister, defence minister and Brazil's chief national security advisor were also in the image, along with the Brazilian president.

(Reporting by Steve Holland in Washington, Anthony Boadle in Brasilia, and Lisandra Paraguassu in Miami, writing by Scott Malone and Steve Holland; Editing by Rosalba O'Brien, Cynthia Osterman and Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-13
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I sure hope he doesn't because I'm confident he would dedicate too many healthcare resources on himself that could be put to better use elsewhere.

are you sure you're not Jim Acosta in disguise? Pffft!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, White Christmas13 said:

So the media is lying again?

Screenshot_2020-03-13 Fabio Wajngarten on Instagram ““Make Brazil Great Again” realdonaldtrump mikepence alvarogarnero ????????[...].png

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about...another anti trumper

to the max...come what may.

Medical protocols list 'close contact' as a possible cause of transmission.

Close contact is medically defined as spending 20 minutes or more in close

proximity of an infected person.

I see your photograph....but do you really now how long their meeting was?

Were you there to see any precautions that were taken before or after

the meeting?

Your mouthing off along with the media helps no one.

Get yourself straight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Medical protocols list 'close contact' as a possible cause of transmission.

Close contact is medically defined as spending 20 minutes or more in close

proximity of an infected person.

I guess you think if people walk away after 19 minutes then all is fine, correct?

Yeah, sure, I won't try to explain it to you...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess you think if people walk away after 19 minutes then all is fine, correct?

Yeah, sure, I won't try to explain it to you...

Im quoting the prevalent medical view on transmission.

You have a problem...take it up with them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

These people are meeting across large conference tables and taking precautions...not making out in toilets like you might wrongly assume.

Guess Rick Scott and Lindsey Graham who met Bolsonaro have the brain to self-quarantine. I am sure they didn’t make out in the toilets like you assumed but just being the wiser of the group. 

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Guess Rick Scott and Lindsey Graham who met Bolsonaro have the brain to self-quarantine. I am sure they didn’t make out in the toilets like you assumed but just being the wiser of the group. 

hahahaha...yeah I am sure you and all Dems are waiting for Trump and Pence to quarantine themselves.

keep dreaming. ????

22 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Im quoting the prevalent medical view on transmission.

You have a problem...take it up with them.

Did you understand it?

With your knowledge you should apply for a job in Trumps team. You will fit perfectly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

hahahaha...yeah I am sure you and all Dems are waiting for Trump and Pence to quarantine themselves.

keep dreaming. ????

No! They should first infect everybody in the White House and in the GOP. And because there are no tests nobody will know that they are infected. Perfect! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1