What's the situation in Isaan?

Beechboy

2 hours ago, JetSetFvr said:

My Ladyfriend is a school teacher in Issan. She says nothing is closed, schools are in session and everything is normal.  Tell your friend he doesn't know what he's talking about and to relax. 

Not all. Some schools, especially those with summer camps for the very little ones have cancelled their April camps.

But that's more a precaution. 

• Like 1

Here in Prasat south Surin wearing face masks has already gone out of fashion. The most I ever saw in one day was about 6 or 7. Now one or none.

A week ago we went to the local BKKBank branch to pay our annual house insurance. Our 2 girls that we deal with both masked. 2 days ago we went back to pick up the finished papers. Not a mask in sight.

Similar experience at the local pharmacy in the Lotus building ...

Fashions come and go when you're young and live in a culture where appearances are what count.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, marin said:

Its better and higher ranked than the USA, you can get free medical as a Thai and very fair treatment in government hospitals.   Of course its a worry, and we shall see what happens at Songkran when all the Isaan folk who still have a job in Bangkok go home. Will they bring the virus with them and really get it going?

Your worries are mine. Our son will come home soon and I'll closely monitor him and stay away as much as I can.

Until we know that he's okay.

Of course will we not waste urgently needed water this year. 

I believe we should all be more careful and try not to get in touch with people who could be sick.

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

Obviously few posters live in or near Surin.

Nothing has changed and life goes on. All the shops are open, Thai Watsadu, Big C , Makro etc etc.

Yes op , you have been fed bs.

I am in Ubon at the Central Festival now.

Things have changed significantly from the usual.

First, there was plenty of parking space, which is a first, especially on a Saturday afternoon.

Then the movie theater is empty, also a first, and there is much less foot traffic than usual.

More than half of the people are wearing a mask.

8 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Clearly the majoity of Thailand's factories are centered around Bangkok and corridor down to the Eastern seaboard but 44,000 factories in Isaan is not an insignificant amount - and that is 25 years ago. The figures may show 34,000 rice mills but these are still factories, they still employ people and contribute to the economy.

So you agree with me now ????

I see the in depth research that you managed to do states "This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources."

Perhaps you could correct and add to it ???? 

49 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Its quite easy to do the research you know? Here's a little:

'The number of factories grew from 1,908 in 1975 to 44,000 in 1995, but 34,312 of these were rice mills.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Isan

Clearly the majoity of Thailand's factories are centered around Bangkok and corridor down to the Eastern seaboard but 44,000 factories in Isaan is not an insignificant amount - and that is 25 years ago. The figures may show 34,000 rice mills but these are still factories, they still employ people and contribute to the economy.

A little off topic but I found this quote from the link above interesting - and maybe something the Thai government need to be aware of when they introduce measures that make visas etc. more difficult:

'A study conducted by Khon Kaen University estimated that each year 8.67 billion baht is sent by foreign husbands to their wives in Isan'

The number must be way higher. Let alone the prostitutes who've got a few foreigners who all believe she's in love with.

Some of them have a few guys who do not know of the existing others. There are girls/ women who have a very good income. 

SNAFU in my part of Issan. Chok Chai.

At least the 7/11 and Tesco ask if you need a plastic bag for you purchase now.

I love this place, many people in my village are saying big P must go but life goes on.

They are poor people and things have changed little. 

Not many masks to be seen from here to Korat

36 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

The number must be way higher. Let alone the prostitutes who've got a few foreigners who all believe she's in love with.

Some of them have a few guys who do not know of the existing others. There are girls/ women who have a very good income. 

Yes it would, lots of fat dumb farangs paying bargirls. Some bgs might con 8 of them at a time. 8 times 25,000 baht a month nice collect.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Hey, we have Singha/Leo brewery near Khon Kaen.....Dom jock!

One of the reasons that there is so little industry is due to the infrastructure - no guaranteed water supply, least we now know that it is being put to good use ????

Edited by CGW

42 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Yes it would, lots of fat dumb farangs paying bargirls. Some bgs might con 8 of them at a time. 8 times 25,000 baht a month nice collect.

Bring out the Piano player, haven't heard this gem for at least a couple of weeks ???? 

My girls different and worth every penny! ????

Etc, etc, etc..................................................

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

By and large urban myths perpetuated by Thai Visa.

7 hours ago, JetSetFvr said:

My Ladyfriend is a school teacher in Issan. She says nothing is closed, schools are in session and everything is normal.  Tell your friend he doesn't know what he's talking about and to relax. 

schools in bangkok are on holiday - except the odd international curriculum school and a few week or so summer programmes, do issan schools have a different academic year?

7 hours ago, CGW said:

Exactly, not a lot of point building factories 500 km from the nearest port!

Well, it all depends on the product that is produced and what the cost of transporting the raw materials to the factory compared to the cost of transporting the finished product to the seaport for export.

4 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Well, it all depends on the product that is produced and what the cost of transporting the raw materials to the factory compared to the cost of transporting the finished product to the seaport for export.

True enough, so we can deduce there will not be many factories in Surin, which was my original statement that a learned member disagreed with, rice mills, sugar cane mills, are not considered to be factories, they are agricultural not industrial, my statement was Surin was not known for "industry" never will be, too dry, no infrastructure and the local workforce education level is too low, the "government at one time encouraged companies to set up factories in the NE, it was a disaster for the owners.

Everything fairly normal, but outside of rush hour it does seem quieter. More to do with the weak economy and drought, as said. Coronavirus? Well, we do see more masks in Udon, and hand gel is hard to find. My daughters school has cancelled her summer school. How many cases? Nobody knows because they hardly ever test anyone, especially up here, and the government isn't telling. We do have an unverified claim of corona virus by a family business associate, (dropped out of a deal, saying sick with it, but may be an excuse).

Lies or not, does seem to be better than Europe. Maybe because of sun and heat, and not shaking hands, it isn't spreading so fast. Better than the UK, where on economic grounds the government has decided to let it slowly spread and kill off half a million pensioners - that will save the government about 300 million a month in state pension. Profit before people!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Not all. Some schools, especially those with summer camps for the very little ones have cancelled their April camps.

But that's more a precaution. 

Several of the schools in my local amphur town of Kantharalak (southern Sisaket) closed term a few days early following a reported potential Covid case in the local public hospital a couple of weeks ago. The case was quickly shown to be a false alarm, but end of term exams had already been accelerated and the early closures went ahead.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, samsensam said:

schools in bangkok are on holiday - except the odd international curriculum school and a few week or so summer programmes, do issan schools have a different academic year?

Schools in my local amphur were generally due to close term either last week or next. School term openings and closings seem to be a school-by-school decision rather than by provincial or amphur edict.

3 hours ago, CGW said:

True enough, so we can deduce there will not be many factories in Surin, which was my original statement that a learned member disagreed with, rice mills, sugar cane mills, are not considered to be factories, they are agricultural not industrial, my statement was Surin was not known for "industry" never will be, too dry, no infrastructure and the local workforce education level is too low, the "government at one time encouraged companies to set up factories in the NE, it was a disaster for the owners.

"rice mills, sugar cane mills, are not considered to be factories, they are agricultural not industrial". Not considered to be factories by who? ..... other than you!

Around where I live (between Kantharalak and Ubon city) there are also chicken processing factories and animal feed mills .. again, all factories, all employing lots of people making 'stuff' for consumption.

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SantiSuk said:

"rice mills, sugar cane mills, are not considered to be factories, they are agricultural not industrial". Not considered to be factories by who? ..... other than you!

No, not my definition, industrial sectors are defined by their product, agriculture and industrial are not in the same "grouping", if you know or consider my view to be incorrect do share so I can learn. Thank you ???? 

I agree with your proposition. I thought the point of debate was whether agricultural processing facilities can be called factories or not. Anyway .. we've done this one to death!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Here in Prasat south Surin wearing face masks has already gone out of fashion. The most I ever saw in one day was about 6 or 7. Now one or none.

A week ago we went to the local BKKBank branch to pay our annual house insurance. Our 2 girls that we deal with both masked. 2 days ago we went back to pick up the finished papers. Not a mask in sight.

Similar experience at the local pharmacy in the Lotus building ...

Fashions come and go when you're young and live in a culture where appearances are what count.

Correct, live in Prasat as well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Senseo said:

Why produce so far away from all the action? 

Have  you not considered  how many consumers of output start  from right outside the factory door all the way to wherever the  "action " is? I think there  are more  residents in  the Issan regions than in greater Bangkok !

Here in Ubon the central shopping areas are becoming quiet. People are staying at home. Retail shops at Central Plaza are suffering from very few customers. In particular, the restaurants and coffee shops. Starbucks informs me that they have never had it so quiet. I am not sure about the restaurants outside of Central Plaza around the city. What I do see is a massive increase in the number of Grab motorbikes delivering food. These motorbikes are everywhere. People must be ordering home deliveries. 

My local vet told me that he has very few people bringing in their dogs for their regular vaccination shots. Now that is a worry.