I miss my old 5.1 surround sound.

giddyup

I remember the thrill of playing my Kenwood 5.1 surround home theatre for the first time, I think it may have been the movie "Heat", gunfire coming from all directions, my Samsung soundbar just can't come close to replicating those sound effects. As I now download torrents of all my movies and TV shows anyway, I don't think any come with 5.1 soundtracks, and I'm not even sure if Netflix has surround sound movies. There was something to be said for playing your movies on a DVD player with full surround sound. OK, my current 4K Sony TV has a better picture than my old 42" plasma, but the sound doesn't compare.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2

Sound bars are an improvement over the TV's built in speakers and provide a little more boom but thats about it.

Many movies and TV shows are multi channel sound with the file often indicating type.

x264.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos

x264.DTS

x264.AC3

House of Flying Daggers is my surround sound test movie.

• Like 2

OP, I agree 5,1 makes a huge difference, nothing like those helicopter gunships playing Rise of the Valkyries coming in from behind your left shoulder in Apocalypse now. There are still plenty of 5.1 torrent downloads and you can still buy a 5.1 dvd system that decodes external input from your TV, PC, box etc , using HDMI with ARC (audio return channel) or S/PDIF

I have a samsung system that cost 5,000 baht that works a treat.

Its worth getting a true 5.1 system, if only to listen to the 30th anniversary 5.1 release of Dark side of the moon.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

Use the HDMI pass through on your Sony TV with bitstream. That should solve the problem. Use a Firestick or Apple TV for the source and select the 5.1 Dolby digital output on the stick and the TV. 

These 2 simple videos should help. 

Check the High Speed HDMI with Ethernet cable too as poor quality ones may not work properly. 

Edited by Muzzique
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

I miss my 20's..

5.1 etc is still the current format for movie audio, here are the current torrents for the new release 1917 movie, four are 5.1 and two are 7.1

Netflix and hulu both do 5.1 now

image.png.6b7afba6bd21c693e1ea583182f287c0.png

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Its worth getting a true 5.1 system, if only to listen to the 30th anniversary 5.1 release of Dark side of the moon.

I’ve never had any kind of 5.1 system, but all my friends who had them had to pick their jaw up off the floor after listening to DSOTM on SACD on my 2.1 Bryston/B&W system.  I would have loved to hear it on a comparable 5.1 system but just can’t afford it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I’ve never had any kind of 5.1 system, but all my friends who had them had to pick their jaw up off the floor after listening to DSOTM on SACD on my 2.1 Bryston/B&W system.  I would have loved to hear it on a comparable 5.1 system but just can’t afford it.

The 5.1 release is really good, it is remaster from the original tapes, so its not just stereo coming out of five speakers. 

You can find a FLAC torrent floating around, get a copy and visit a friend with a 5.1 system. 

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

The 5.1 release is really good, it is remaster from the original tapes, so its not just stereo coming out of five speakers. 

You can find a FLAC torrent floating around, get a copy and visit a friend with a 5.1 system. 

I have the 5.1 SACD (also has a 2.1 layer). I should pay a visit to Piyanas to check it out.  A comparable 5.1 system would be well over a million baht here so I doubt any friends would have something that would rival my 2 channel rig.

• Like 1

So, are you thinking of buying a system?

I upgraded from an old LG system in a box about 18 months back - I bought a Yamaha receiver that was on special, and a set of entry level Polk towers and speakers  and after reading the reviews upgraded the subwoofer. Even now I will often just a marvel to sit and lose myself. Even tho' its probably considered a budget system, I think it was a worthwhile purchase.

Edited by recom273