How quick will my 2x4 frames rot?

MangoPineappleBanana

On 3/18/2020 at 5:18 PM, jany123 said:

You might want to google metal stud framing before starting, as theres lots of diy vids on this

stud frame is infinitely better than wood. It’s very simple to use, and more versatile. A few years ago I did an internal room. I used heavy duty pop rivets. No worries... welding is not required.

Metal stud framing is a 2 by 4 metal alternative with the same principles as wood stud, so you can use your existing knowledge of that product, as it’s the most relevant experience... but it’s even easier.

Found just what i'm looking for on the good ol' tube

• Like 2

On 3/14/2020 at 6:19 AM, MangoPineappleBanana said:

or is that a bad idea

i watched a card board box being completely ground up and transported to about 18 inches away and turned into something completely different in about 10 days. then they left.

On 3/14/2020 at 6:19 AM, MangoPineappleBanana said:

like i’m used to in the US

you must forget your old ways for they will not help you here.

as soon as I let go i was much happier.  

12 minutes ago, MangoPineappleBanana said:

However, the ceiling is a bit daunting with these funny clips and fasteners to hang off of existing roof construction overhead

Don't worry, they will be replaced by a roll of fencing wire twisted together.

It will work just fine and you will be able to sell the fancy clips on eBay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/29/2020 at 5:04 PM, Crossy said:

Don't worry, they will be replaced by a roll of fencing wire twisted together.

It will work just fine and you will be able to sell the fancy clips on eBay.

My "roll of fencing wire twisted together" ceiling that I didn't really have in mind but will probably work just fine:

IMG_9591.thumb.jpeg.b78bf1dc6dd5407f09703ab17f8fe97d.jpeg

IMG_9592.thumb.jpeg.806c9db271d031b4ee81e6bbcc7303b5.jpeg

• Like 1

Definite a poor idea to use a 2X4 for anything in Thailand. When I moved here I planned on building a great wood house like in the states. Termites are ravenous up here. Conwood or Shera would be the closest to wood that would work. I have seen Teak fall to termites up here & that is pretty hard wood. In fact we had a small amount of termites raid the underneath of our house & the only wood was a teak desk stored under the house half eaten. Cement or steel is what you use in Thailand(even though I am partial to wood- I hate re-doing things over & over.

6 hours ago, Beardog said:

Definite a poor idea to use a 2X4 for anything in Thailand. When I moved here I planned on building a great wood house like in the states. Termites are ravenous up here. Conwood or Shera would be the closest to wood that would work. I have seen Teak fall to termites up here & that is pretty hard wood. In fact we had a small amount of termites raid the underneath of our house & the only wood was a teak desk stored under the house half eaten. Cement or steel is what you use in Thailand(even though I am partial to wood- I hate re-doing things over & over.

Yeah I hear ya, I figured mold was the big issue and considered termites but didn't think of it as #1. I've seen numerous all teak homes down south and even entire villas made out of nothing but teak(rafters, walls, foundation), I wonder how those fellas get away with that.