Vietnam to refuse visitors from UK, Schengen countries - state media

rooster59

Vietnam to refuse visitors from UK, Schengen countries - state media

download.jpg

HANOI (Reuters) - Vietnam will stop issuing tourist visas to citizens from Europe's Schengen area and Britain starting from Sunday, amid concerns over the spreading coronavirus, state media reported on Friday.

The restriction will start from midday, March 15, following a proposal from the country's prime minister, state-run newspaper Hanoimoi reported.

The British embassy in Hanoi updated its travel advice on a UK government website.

"From noon Vietnam time, March 15, all foreign nationals will be refused entry to Vietnam if in the previous 14 days they have been to the UK, or any Schengen country, even in transit," read the statement on the website. "This restriction will be in place for 30 days."

The Schengen area is a border control-free travel zone comprising 26 European countries.

Vietnam earlier halted visa-free travel for citizens of eight European countries.

Three weeks after Vietnam declared that all 16 of its coronavirus cases had recovered, the number of infected patients is on the rise after the authorities said a spate of new infections was traced to a flight from Britain.

Vietnam has confirmed 47 cases of the coronavirus. There have been no deaths in the country.

(Reporting by Phuong Nguyen; Editing by Alex Richardson)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-14

3 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Have to say that I have a fear at some point Thailand will do the same and any of us returning home for a week or month, may never get back in again. If I am refused entry back in the country on my retirement visa in June after visiting the UK, I'm just gonna give up with this place. 

I agree; I'm due to fly back to Thailand from six weeks in the Philippines at the end of this month. I think it very likely Thailand will stop visa waiver for a whole new raft of European countries and, being Thailand, will not discriminate between those European passport holders who have come direct from Europe and others, like myself, who have not been in Europe since last year. I'm fully prepared for this.

14 minutes ago, justin case said:

how narrow minded...did not go to my home country in 10+ years

Then you don't have to worry, from the OP.

"From noon Vietnam time, March 15, all foreign nationals will be refused entry to Vietnam if in the previous 14 days they have been to the UK, or any Schengen country, even in transit," read the statement on the website. "This restriction will be in place for 30 days."

• Like 1

I am due to fly to Vietnam Tomorrow -15th

On Wednesday Vietnam Immigration stopped all Visa exempt entry, so I applied for an Evisa, and as yet 19.00 on 14th I have not received it. I am starting to think that its a typical knee jerk reaction and as soon as they see UK on the Passport its an instant rejection

I also have not been to the UK for over 6 years now and reside in Thailand, from where I will be flying.

My flight company ( Vietjet ) cannot advise their customers, and everybody seems to be doing the Thai thing and just running away from the problem.

I was even advised by the Airline to turn up at Swampy Tomorrow morning and maybe they would, or wouldn,t let me board my flight.

The customer care girl knew absolutely nothing about this new directive, which is extremely poor, as obviously nobody could be bothered to instruct the staff as to the situation, and allow them to advise their cutomers

Very very poor indeed.

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

On Wednesday Vietnam Immigration stopped all Visa exempt entry, so I applied for an Evisa, and as yet 19.00 on 14th I have not received it. I am starting to think that its a typical knee jerk reaction and as soon as they see UK on the Passport its an instant rejection

I also have not been to the UK for over 6 years now and reside in Thailand, from where I will be flying.

My flight company ( Vietjet ) cannot advise their customers, and everybody seems to be doing the Thai thing and just running away from the problem.

I was even advised by the Airline to turn up at Swampy Tomorrow morning and maybe they would, or wouldn,t let me board my flight.

The customer care girl knew absolutely nothing about this new directive, which is extremely poor, as obviously nobody could be bothered to instruct the staff as to the situation, and allow them to advise their cutomers

Very very poor indeed.

Please keep us informed on what happens w your Vietnam visa situation... myself and many others make this trip often, so I’m very curious on how it will play out. Several online visa websites have stopped all tourist visas for March 15-april 15. But I haven’t seen any news about any problems getting the visa pre-flight from the Vietnam embassy in Bangkok. I hope that’s still an option.

thanks in advance and good luck!

14 hours ago, keith101 said:

Stopping people from entering the country will not stop the spread its already there .

Vietnam is being prudent.

Remember that Italy is the source of most covid-19 outbreaks worldwide; Europe, N. America, S.America, Africa, Middle East.  Because they initially refused to treat it as a potential problem.

11 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Very very poor indeed.

evisa was cancelled last week

On 3/14/2020 at 12:22 PM, keith101 said:

Stopping people from entering the country will not stop the spread its already there .

Still having issues with the concept of containment?

It's got nothing to do with personal inconvenience either. Anywhere.