New Zealand says everyone entering country must self-isolate to contain coronavirus

rooster59

New Zealand says everyone entering country must self-isolate to contain coronavirus

2020-03-14T045233Z_1_LYNXMPEG2D04X_RTROPTP_4_NEWZEALAND-SHOOTING-PRAYER.JPG

FILE PHOTO: New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern during a news conference prior to the anniversary of the mosque attacks that took place the prior year in Christchurch, New Zealand, March 13, 2020. REUTERS/Martin Hunter

WELLINGTON (Reuters) - New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said on Saturday that everyone entering the country from midnight Sunday must self isolate for 14 days in an effort to contain the spread of the new coronavirus.

People from small South Pacific island countries, which currently have no reported cases, will be exempted, Ardern said in a news conference. New Zealand has a large South Pacific islander population.

All cruise ships will also be told not to come to New Zealand until June 30, she said.

Ardern said these were "far-reaching and unprecedented" measures to tackle a global pandemic. New Zealand has six confirmed cases and has not recorded any deaths.

(Reporting by Praveen Menon; Editing by Michael Perry)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-14

New Zealand also just banned cruise ships from docking.

We know a Thai-based couple who is on a cruise ship (full of old folks) from Australia to Egypt, Europe etc., and the company recently informed passengers they would be reimbursed for their ticket and forthwith dropped off in New Zealand.

Things seem to be getting a bit cray-cray.

Edited by SometimezaGreatNotion

52 minutes ago, SometimezaGreatNotion said:

New Zealand also just banned cruise ships from docking.

We know a Thai-based couple who is on a cruise ship (full of old folks) from Australia to Egypt, Europe etc., and the company recently informed passengers they would be reimbursed for their ticket and forthwith dropped off in New Zealand.

Things seem to be getting a bit cray-cray.

Say again ? A Cruise  ship from Australia doing a  global loop intends  to dump passengers off in New Zealand? From the topic content it looks  like that's a  no  go now.

17 minutes ago, garygooner said:

How can tourists self isolate? Welcome to NZ now enjoy your 10 days in your hotel room. Have a great holiday. 

Its almost worth it to pig out on 5 star cheeses and wines without added fruit juice and 50% mark up

• Like 1

That’s not very nice, but they do produce some great wine, especially the Sav Blancs 

Very true.  Rumour has it that if you drink copious amounts of Sav Blanc, it acts as an antidote against the virus, (or you're so p*$$ed that you forget that you have the virus...)

I am unable to understand why I would want to sit in a hotel room for two weeks while the authorities faff around deciding whether I am infected or not. Congratulations NZ, your tourist industry is stone dead for the time being. There'll be quite a few jobs lost.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Sujo said:

They are not the first nor will they be the last. Protecting themselves now is more important than the tourist industry.

Protecting themselves from coronavirus? That horse has well and truly bolted.

Think about it - there are thousands of Kiwis in Australia. You think they are going to self-isolate at Jacinda's say-so? Unless they are denied entry.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I am unable to understand why I would want to sit in a hotel room for two weeks while the authorities faff around deciding whether I am infected or not. Congratulations NZ, your tourist industry is stone dead for the time being. There'll be quite a few jobs lost.

Think that's answered here, NZ Herald

Tourism numbers would have dropped anyway, as fewer people wanted to holiday anywhere during a pandemic.

He said the priority for the Government was to focus on the people and businesses of New Zealand.

• Like 1