New Zealand says everyone entering country must self-isolate to contain coronavirus

rooster59

7 hours ago, J Town said:

So tourists are sequestered for two weeks before they can go site seeing?

Has the government thought it through? Many tourists stay in camp grounds- how on earth are they supposed to self isolate when they have to use a common cookhouse and toilets etc?

Many people in NZ are living in their cars because rents are too high and not enough houses anyway- how are they going to self isolate? Homeless sleeping on the street?

Short of providing accommodation for all those, self isolation is not even possible for many.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said on Saturday that everyone entering the country from midnight Sunday must self isolate for 14 days in an effort to contain the spread of the new coronavirus.

I'm boggled- hundreds if not thousands of foreign workers are entering NZ for the Kiwifruit harvest, and staying in campgrounds- good luck self isolating all of them, and if they can't work, many Kiwifruit farms will lose their crop.

The craziest thing about this all is, that nature is offering a gift wrapped on a silver platter and we are doing all we can to fight it. Look at a country such as Japan they should welcome this. They have way too many old people as a percentage of their population. So many it is a crisis. 

Let this thing run it's course. If it was killing people in their 20's maybe it would be a problem. It is only killing the most aged and sickly of the population and usually that's nature's way of doing population control. 

The climate change crowd should be celebrating. Emissions are so low in Italy you can see the reduction from space. Hopefully working remotely from home becomes much more widely adapted. You could eliminate a lot of second cars that way. My Husband works and I work from home. We need two cars as we live in the country. If he did most of his work from home we could get rid of the second car.

People not taking unneeded vacations, going to movies, and restaurants. If you have been put out of work it's a problem. However if you still are working your savings account should be getting higher everyday. Hopefully some of these habits will translate into some fiscal discipline in the long term.

I hope there isn't an immediate "bounce back" as this is a sign that people have learned nothing from this. Somethings will have to as they are necessities, however all those baseball tickets you didn't buy, those restaurant meals you didn't eat, that trip to Mexico you didn't take, don't need to be donated once this is over. And for the love of God quit hoarding toilet paper. What's that all about?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

The craziest thing about this all is, that nature is offering a gift wrapped on a silver platter and we are doing all we can to fight it. Look at a country such as Japan they should welcome this. They have way too many old people as a percentage of their population. So many it is a crisis. 

Let this thing run it's course. If it was killing people in their 20's maybe it would be a problem. It is only killing the most aged and sickly of the population and usually that's nature's way of doing population control. 

The climate change crowd should be celebrating. Emissions are so low in Italy you can see the reduction from space. Hopefully working remotely from home becomes much more widely adapted. You could eliminate a lot of second cars that way. My Husband works and I work from home. We need two cars as we live in the country. If he did most of his work from home we could get rid of the second car.

People not taking unneeded vacations, going to movies, and restaurants. If you have been put out of work it's a problem. However if you still are working your savings account should be getting higher everyday. Hopefully some of these habits will translate into some fiscal discipline in the long term.

I hope there isn't an immediate "bounce back" as this is a sign that people have learned nothing from this. Somethings will have to as they are necessities, however all those baseball tickets you didn't buy, those restaurant meals you didn't eat, that trip to Mexico you didn't take, don't need to be donated once this is over. And for the love of God quit hoarding toilet paper. What's that all about?

in a few words ... "it's better to be wealthy and healthy than poor and ill " 

5 hours ago, Patong2 said:

You people just don't understand

Jacinda Ardern, NZ's most unsuccessful prime minister is addicted to headlines and that is all that matters. The Covid-19 travel ban and "compulsory self isolation" gives her yet another opportunity to be on the world stage.

"Self isolate" what walk home from the airport? But look at the great press she is getting.

The fact that  her major "policies" have been an abject failure means nothing, she gets the headlines and that is all that matters. Impractibility has nothing to do with it.

I'm no fan of Jacinda but most Kiwis - and by that, I mean pretty much all my friends who voted National - agree that what she has done is the right thing. I am no fan of her economic policy but I do think that she truly cares and is trying to do the right thing. I don't think Xoimon would have had the balls to make a decision like this.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm boggled- hundreds if not thousands of foreign workers are entering NZ for the Kiwifruit harvest, and staying in campgrounds- good luck self isolating all of them, and if they can't work, many Kiwifruit farms will lose their crop.

I just heard on radio news that people from the Pacific are not affected by the self isolation, and the Kiwifruit workers are from the Pacific. Perhaps a glimmer of sanity amid the, IMO, panic. So far no Corona on the Pacific islands.

Apologies. I just read the OP properly and it says on there about the South Pacific as well. My bad.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

4 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

The climate change crowd should be celebrating.

Greta should be celebrating. Air travel is diminishing rapidly, airlines are going to go broke. Even after this is over, there's always another coming along and do people really need to sit in an aluminium tube for hours with a load of strangers just to lie by a swimming pool?

Perhaps even the climate activists will change their minds about flying to conferences and do it by teleconferencing ( I'm not holding my breath on that one ).

4 hours ago, Sujo said:

Hopefully working remotely from home becomes much more widely adapted.

LOL. Office workers IMO tend to forget that millions and millions of people can't work from home- plumbers, electricians, hospital staff, policemen, even hairdressers etc etc etc. Unless people working from home intend growing their own food they need people to drive trucks and vans.

Anyway, I've a feeling that a lot of office type businesses are going to discover that they don't actually need as many workers.

4 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

The climate change crowd should be celebrating.

Greta should be celebrating. Air travel is diminishing rapidly, airlines are going to go broke. Even after this is over, there's always another coming along and do people really need to sit in an aluminium tube for hours with a load of strangers just to lie by a swimming pool?

Perhaps even the climate activists will change their minds about flying to conferences and do it by teleconferencing ( I'm not holding my breath on that one ).

4 hours ago, Sujo said:

Hopefully working remotely from home becomes much more widely adapted.

LOL. Office workers IMO tend to forget that millions and millions of people can't work from home- plumbers, electricians, hospital staff, policemen, even hairdressers etc etc etc. Unless people working from home intend growing their own food they need people to drive trucks and vans.

Anyway, I've a feeling that a lot of office type businesses are going to discover that they don't actually need as many workers.

14 hours ago, UbonThani said:

Nobody likes Kiwis anyway

Aussie, perchance? Kiwis among the best around... from a Brit. Great place and people. With all the mass hysteria, don't blame them for doing this at all.

Aside: their PM does look a bit horsey mind. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Aussie, perchance? Kiwis among the best around... from a Brit. Great place and people. With all the mass hysteria, don't blame them for doing this at all.

Aside: their PM does look a bit horsey mind. ????

Actually Aussies like the Kiwis and get along well with them.The ribald rivalry has been going on since 1914.. and isn't going to stop now.:burp:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mstevens said:

I don't want to go on about Jacinda - and remember I have not been a fan of hers - but she just gave an absolute master class on Q&A this morning. I doubt many on here would have seen it as it's local New Zealand TV, but she was asked a lot of tough questions and she really came through with good clear answers and more importantly, clear reasons why. It looks like they're on top of the health side of things for now. The economic side is going to be a disaster (but they're not to blame for that, no-one is).

Did anyone ask her how they are going to treat people in hospital when they are already at near max capacity, and how they are going to put many on respirators when there are a limited number of nurses qualified to use a respirator?

• Sad 2

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I believe it was Robert Muldoon who said Kiwis migrating to Australia improved the IQ's of both countries simultaneously.

Yes he did and it was a very witty answer to the Aussie PMs whining, as he was a very witty fellow, although a bit of a "pisshead" which ultimately was his downfall!

19 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Yes, it is a wonder he/she didn't advocate handing out euthanasia kits to the oldies! 

Come on man. I am not Dutch! You want to do some push ups? You realize that in some countries euthanasia is socially accepted right? Also people these days make living wills. 

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

Think that's answered here, NZ Herald

The measures are designed help with instances like this from todays NZ Herald newspaper.

The first coronavirus case in the South Island is a Danish tourist aged in her 30s who had visited a Queenstown adventure attraction and restaurant before seeking medical help.

The woman had travelled from Denmark and arrived in Auckland via Doha on flight QR 920 on Tuesday March 10, Director-General of Health Ashley Bloomfield confirmed today.

She then flew from Auckland to Christchurch on Jetstar flight JQ225, arriving at 8am on March 10.