Restaurant safety in Thailand (Covid-19) -- does the type of food matter?

12 minutes ago, Jlop said:

It's more about crowded places then what kind of food you eat.I wouldn't be comfortable in any crowded restaurant regardless of the type of food or (presumed) ethnicities surrounding me. It might be ok if you go at a less busy time.

Yes I agree the crowded places where people are sitting close are definitely not good in these times.

My wife is from Hainan china and yes very much like some westerners (that bloke from bizzare foods)

the more exotic food is as ive seen mainly for the wealthy as a status symbol

In Hainan wealth is relatively new and people have eaten rats and mice out of necessity in the past

Its not by choice,now people can afford to eat beef and other meats its different

All the best to those in Pattaya  

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Jingthing said:

What about buffets? 

What about sharing dishes at the table which is part of Asian culture? 

I guess you're not the type of guy that shares food the Asian way. So why asking? All types of food has to be cooked properly,that's the ground rule. Not sharing cutlery while sharing food might also be a good idea. BUT, if authorities keep saying that we're not supposed to sit closer than 1 meter to each other, then sharing food will be a bit problematic,don't you think? 

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I guess you're not the type of guy that shares food the Asian way. So why asking? All types of food has to be cooked properly,that's the ground rule. Not sharing cutlery while sharing food might also be a good idea. BUT, if authorities keep saying that we're not supposed to sit closer than 1 meter to each other, then sharing food will be a bit problematic,don't you think? 

Your guess is wrong. Be careful with assumptions. I actually hate it when people don't want to share dishes but different times call for different habits. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Yes my favorite type of food is indeed Chinese encompassing of course the myriad of provincial variations there. Trying to make money isn't exactly exclusive to Chinese people. It is true some of these new viruses have been linked to wet markets in China where live "exotic" animals are stacked on top of each other mixing their fluids. I have read that the market for those exotics is a small percentage of wealthier Chinese in China. That's very unfortunate and they should stop that once and for all. But I don't really see the link to Chinese restaurants all over the world. All Chinese people and restauranteurs are hardly collectively guilty for that practice in China. 

IMO it is the venue rather than the food that presents a risk if it is crowded regardless of the national origins of customers.

To date there has been no risk of transmission identified in food.

Social distancing is a practical tactic.

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Your guess is wrong. Be careful with assumptions. I actually hate it when people don't want to share dishes but different times call for different habits. 

So keep sharing food in the US. Every type of Asian food is not supposed to be shared while eating together. When reading your questions and reasoning it shows that you have no clue about the subject. Try to use Google and you will find out why the epicenter of the Coronavirus is in Wuhan, Hubei. 

Since personal hygiene is next to non existent for Thais, it really isn't an issue. The threat and dangers of eating at a Thai restaurant have always been present even before all this started.