Flights in to CNX since the advent of Covid-19

Thailand

I know there are a few avid followers of flight movements on the forum.

What has been the actual reduction in the number of flights since beginning of Feb/March to date? Would be interesting to see the stats. 

Thanks

My daughter is due to arrive next Sunday by Qatar Airlines. Birmingham-

Doha- CNX, I have told her that Thailand has now added UK to list of

countries that must self isolate,we were not going anywhere,so thats

not problem, it also says she must have Health Certificate before they

will let her on the Plane, have no idea how long it would take to get one.*

So I have left it up to her whether she should come or not,7 days if she

decides not to come is short time to get her money returned for tickets.

maybe the best thing would be if Qatar cancelled the flight.

regards Worgeordie         * just hearing how long it takes to get an appointment

over there even if you are ill.in normal times, now !

3 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

My daughter is due to arrive next Sunday by Qatar Airlines. Birmingham-

Doha- CNX, I have told her that Thailand has now added UK to list of

countries that must self isolate,we were not going anywhere,so thats

not problem, it also says she must have Health Certificate before they

will let her on the Plane, have no idea how long it would take to get one.*

So I have left it up to her whether she should come or not,7 days if she

decides not to come is short time to get her money returned for tickets.

maybe the best thing would be if Qatar cancelled the flight.

regards Worgeordie         * just hearing how long it takes to get an appointment

over there even if you are ill.in normal times, now !

Not Qatar, but Emirates are being flexible & offering free flight changes.  Not sure about cancellations.  Check their webpage for updates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know what the actual percentage drop is in passengers. Normally there are 20-25 flights da day to China, Hong Kong and Macau. A few weeks ago i noticed that had dropped to 4 or 5. Yesterday the was 2 flights one to Hk and and one to Jinhong. Eva to Taipei is still operating with a smaller aircraft. In January there were 4 Korean flights a day these have stopped now. Still plenty of flight to Bangkok and domestic Thailand but they are probably nowhere near full. Qatar are stilling flying in with a Dreamliner, i cant imagine there are many passengers

• Like 1

If you check CNX arrivals and departures (as you might have already) you'll notice a fall-off of flights over time, but obviously changes are now happening quite rapidly.

Try here: http://service.airportthai.co.th/afs/index.php?/flight/cnx  Today, for example, I counted flight arrivals from ten Chinese cities (including Hong Kong and Macao). Several days ago, as I recall, the CNX airport manager (?) in a news conference noted that passenger traffic had gone down 40% year-on-year (my memory).  Imagine it is greater now.

Given the Chinese tourists traveling to Thailand (especially to Bangkok, Phuket and Chiang Mai) and getting stuck in Thailand there has been chaos reported by some at the CNX Immigration Office with the need for tourist visa extensions.  There may be less flights in and out of China.  Wuhan flights were dropped ages ago.

Seems a travel nightmare, basically, that is unfortunately getting worse --- especially since so many destinations are insisting on basic or enhanced "self-isolation" or some sort of "lock-up" usually for 14 days.  The Thai government certainly blew it on their policy, even with the special flights for returning illegal workers from South Korea where they managed to lose 80-plus arrivals!!

It really appears realistically that working with the airlines and agents directly for re-bookings and cancellations is necessary.

It certainly appears that some sort of medical clearance will increasingly be necessary in many cases before you can board an aircraft.  And then there might be unexpected surprises upon arrival.

Good luck!

Edited by Mapguy
clarity
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Only 5 flights today assuming none are cancelled, all to BKK. Bangkok Airways 2, Thai Vietjet 2, Thai Smile 1. I don't know how far you would have to go back to when Chiang Mai only had 5 flights a day, 1970 or earlier 60's 50's ? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

Only 5 flights today assuming none are cancelled, all to BKK. Bangkok Airways 2, Thai Vietjet 2, Thai Smile 1. I don't know how far you would have to go back to when Chiang Mai only had 5 flights a day, 1970 or earlier 60's 50's ? 

I looked up Viet Jet earlier today and they only show 1 flight now. My daughter is flying in tomorrow on Bangkok air, but they will stop on the 7th - 30ith. So slim pickens. Either get here ASAP or get out for what ever your need is. 

9 hours ago, EricTh said:

Will all the flights go back to normal on 1st May or will the ban be extended? Some of us might need to buy our tickets earlier.

Who can say when flights will resume.

Tentative dates are all well and good but if the virus gets a real grip all bets are off