Panic buying leading to shortages at some outlets

webfact

Panic buying leading to shortages at some outlets

By The Nation

800_01b6a905b3ce134.png?v=1584270572

Worries about the relentless spreading of the new coronavirus (Covid-19) is leading to panic stocking of goods.

Drinking water, rice, canned food, semi-instant noodles, granulated sugar and toilet paper are found to be in short supply in various department stores, supermarkets and retail stores, as people hoard supplies.

According to Thansettakij newspaper, a salesman at a modern trade shop in Bangkok's Lat Phrao district admitted that several products were sold out and stocks needed to be replenished.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384129

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-03-16
  • Thanks 1

The virus truly shows how important your health is above everything, the underlining health problems of many is the concern panic buying leaves nothing for those that do need, the USA will be hit hard with people being obese, factories that produce generic medicines are shut down so this alone amplifies peoples panic.

How the forgotten humble news paper could come back into vogue.

• Confused 1

I don't think there will be food shortages here.

Even if the logistics chains collapse in the future, a million grannies descending from the villages every morning will guarantee a supply of fresh food..this being said ,stockin up on essentials for a couple of months is a good idea

People with medical issues should stock up on medicines too

A lot of drug precursors are made in China

Keep a sizeable amount of cash in a safe place

Ok..there no 'safe place' but you get the idea

Edited by Vigilante
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sungod said:

Yes, agree. Stress is a silent killer.

So is ignorance of global pandemics.

I agree with the guy wearing a white panties mask, good time to be serious.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

I took the car to big C Udon Thani yesterday to do some serious panic buying but was disappointed. Full shelves of pretty much everything. No pushing or shoving, in fact for a Sunday the place was virtually dead.

I’ll try Makro today in my hunt for supermarket drama, I need to feel I’m getting one step ahead of my fellow farangs.

yes same here in phetchabun no panic buying at makro yesterday shelves full  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, rabas said:

So is ignorance of global pandemics.

I agree with the guy wearing a white panties mask, good time to be serious.

I am serious, stressing yourself out can cause other complications to yourself and adding to more pressure for the health care system.

We have to manage all of our health, not just some parts.

Edited by sungod

1 hour ago, PremiumLane said:

It is clowns like you driving panic and over-reacting that are more of a problem than the actual virus

"It is probably about or a bit less than 1%. Much higher figures have been flying about, but the chief medical officer, Chris Whitty, is one of those who believes it will prove to be 1% or lower. The World Health Organization’s director general, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, talked of 3.4%, but his figure was calculated by dividing the number of deaths by the number of officially confirmed cases. We know there are many more mild cases that do not get to hospital and are not being counted, which would bring the mortality rate significantly down.

Deaths are highest in the elderly, with very low rates among younger people, although medical staff who treat patients and get exposed to a lot of virus are thought to be more at risk. But even among the over-80s, 90% will recover." Guardian 

On Saturday the UK announced 10 more deaths. 8 of those were over 80 years old. A legitimate worry for that age group and even somewhat lower. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beavenlen said:

STOPFeeding the panic,and there will be no panic

Here's panic ---in the US  some states are closing all restaurants and bars for at least a month only take out/deliveries or drive thru. Taco Bell is using drive thru or deliveries. 24 hour supemarkets cutting hour so they can sanitise stores at night and restock.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/california-ohio-illinois-massachusetts-close-bars-and-restaurants-in-effort-to-slow-coronavirus/ar-BB11e6ib?li=BBnb7Kz

Edited by Tony125

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

In fact people of any age are infected without symptoms and are transmitting the virus to others. Life long lung and liver damage is possible. 

Social distancing is now the only way to stop the virus. Stay home. Stay away from tourists who should not be traveling now. 

1. A 4 year old Thai girl was among the cases the govt confirmed yesterday. Though while the young can catch and spread the virus just as much as anyone else, supposedly, they're likely to have less severe symptoms and health impacts than older folks and those with pre-existing health conditions.

2. The fact that lots of the recent confirmed cases here have been Thais who have recently returned from foreign travel to Japan or South Korea, apparently for tourism (I'm not talking about the SK illegal laborers group) is amazing to me.  I would have thought/hoped that people would have had enough smarts to avoid voluntary travel to such places in recent months...but apparently not.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I would have thought/hoped that people would have had enough smarts

based on the hate i am getting pointing out the obvious and just telling people what they don't want to hear i would say "No". 

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

I took the car to big C Udon Thani yesterday to do some serious panic buying but was disappointed. Full shelves of pretty much everything. No pushing or shoving, in fact for a Sunday the place was virtually dead.

I’ll try Makro today in my hunt for supermarket drama, I need to feel I’m getting one step ahead of my fellow farangs.

I suspect you'll see more of the panic buying in BKK and similar environs...  1. People here probably have more available money to be able to buy. 2. People here probably are better educated and informed overall and they can see what's coming... Elsewhere, ignorance is bliss.

Just the same as, from various reports here, mask wearing among Thais is far more prevalent in BKK and similar places that it is out in the sticks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Did my buying started three weeks ago. 180 liters of water.

Food for six weeks. In case we are told the remain home. Medicine. Kleenex. You name it. No need to go out unnecessarily now. 

The USA is crashing now with NYC becoming like Wuhin soon. Reports school's will not open again this year. Hellish conditions at the airport with people in huge groups together for hours returning from everywhere in the world. No masks. Exactly what you don't want to do.  

Myths so far are virus only affects the old and is like the common flu.

In fact people of any age are infected without symptoms and are transmitting the virus to others. Life long lung and liver damage is possible. 

Social distancing is now the only way to stop the virus. Stay home. Stay away from tourists who should not be traveling now. 

So you are one of THEM

20 minutes ago, CGW said:

Whats your sage advice for families and working folks? not everyone can be so self centred - or Alarmist :shock1:

I'm not an alarmist... but I can see what's happening elsewhere.

In the U.S., companies/businesses are closing or downscaling their operations, and telling staff where possible to work from home. Schools and universities are cancelling classes. Public events and meeting places are being restricted.  Some jobs lend themselves to working from home. Unfortunately, others don't.

All of that I mention above isn't the result of people being "alarmist." It's a result of government / public health directives and private employers deciding to do what they think is best for the overall situation.

Death rate in Italy is currently 7.2%

2474 infected.

1809 death.

Could be a similar situation if this ever gets hold in Thailand. I've never been to a hospital here (thankfully) but i have no doubt, the healthcare system would not stand a chance.

Dont panic?.. Now is exactly the time to panic. In every defence framework preparation is the first step. I got my 50kg of rice, waterbottles, toilet paper etc. in early Feb.

Edited by Solidpoo
  • Like 1