'We're not being quarantined. We're being detained.' Americans stuck in Cambodia amid pandemic

geovalin

7 hours ago, tonray said:

"There are dead bugs everywhere – and also live bugs," said Gordon-Knapp, 60. "Ants, flying insects, little lizards." 

Get more lizards - but they sound like they are the sort of people that will kill the lizards and complain about the rise in bugs and insects. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Saltire said:

OMG 'unmatched linen'!!!

How will they survive? Someone call the Gucci Support Line!

Honestly you should read her Facebook Page, especially the comments from a whole bunch of precious friends all offering help from their 'connections'. Seems to me they were lucky the authorities found the carriers before they got infected, this itself amazing in Vietnam/Cambodia with them on a boat on the Mekong. Should be appreciative of the authorities efforts.

They are in Kampong Cham, I know it from my 5 years in Cambodia. It's well outside any tourist town. The room may not be 5 star but believe me I have seen and slept in much worse. It's beter than around 80% of the country has on a daily basis.

I guess Mr Knapp is of the 'do you know who I am??' or 'I know people in high places' persuasion.

When that didn't work he just turned to bleating... "But we'd like to do it in much more humane conditions,"

Glamsolation - Isolation with full luxury - this seasons new moneyspinner...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tonray said:

"Now, they've been confined to a dirty room with a leaking toilet, a barred window, and a door that doesn't lock.

"There are dead bugs everywhere – and also live bugs," said Gordon-Knapp, 60. "Ants, flying insects, little lizards."

Obviously the first trip to Cambodia.. be thankful the bugs aren't on the menu!

11 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Glamsolation - Isolation with full luxury - this seasons new moneyspinner...

Hell my kid was told if she goes back to China, she will get a 4 star hotel as her quarantine venue, room service too, gratis.

And a Shanghai 4 star can be pretty nice, I stayed in one.

She told them to save their money and went to Koh Rong to dive until they told her to come back. On line teaching on adeserted beach between dives, oh how she is suffering!

Mr and Mrs America need to lighten up. Its Cambodia. It could be worse, like a quarrantine in Laos or Myanmar.

• Like 1

Oh for heavens sake. Being held in an abandoned building, door doesn't even lock. These people are not complaining about hotel conditions, that is not where they are.

They have a valid complaint.

No one objects to their being quarantined,  but these conditions are a bit much and unnecessarily so.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Dude does everything have to be a political screech? Rabid supporter? Ardent conservative? Wow dude, you have no idea.

But hey the USA will be fine.

Your "fine" is not my "fine". And this below is with a very sparse, limited testing regimen still....

1762868187_2020-03-1621_41_00.jpg.bd86c5debbd5b715b2f715802781a861.jpg

1075782025_2020-03-1621_40_32.jpg.5be05d3e8145563a94e01c0d208e47ed.jpg

52 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Your "fine" is not my "fine". And this below is with a very sparse, limited testing regimen still....

1762868187_2020-03-1621_41_00.jpg.bd86c5debbd5b715b2f715802781a861.jpg

1075782025_2020-03-1621_40_32.jpg.5be05d3e8145563a94e01c0d208e47ed.jpg

That concentration on the US east coast does not look good.

16 hours ago, tonray said:

"As seasoned world travelers, they were not worried about going, even as the coronavirus spread to the U.S. and outbreaks emerged in new hotspots."

"Now, they've been confined to a dirty room with a leaking toilet, a barred window, and a door that doesn't lock.

I guess their seasoned world traveler status only was tested at luxury hotels...welcome to SE Asia...

I was just chasing a little critter around my house~got it!

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Oh for heavens sake. Being held in an abandoned building, door doesn't even lock. These people are not complaining about hotel conditions, that is not where they are.

They have a valid complaint.

No one objects to their being quarantined,  but these conditions are a bit much and unnecessarily so.

Sorry to disagree. My fellow US citizens have become such total pvssies that it is utterly embarrassing. These are uncertain, difficult times. It is a pandemic for christ's sake. Suck it up, show some American backbone, and stop whining like little babies. My grandfather would have been posting about how fascinating it was to be trapped in that place, and all the things he was doing to entertain himself.

• Like 1

Reminds me a bit of a hotel I stayed at somewhere in Nan 40 years ago.  There was a screen in the window with a few big holes - took almost a whole roll of TP to plug them.  The metal-bladed ceiling fan was loose and unbalanced and wobbled in a circular orbit.  I moved the bed in case it decided to come down during the night.  Wedged a chair under the door knob for nighttime security.  It was pretty classy for maybe 80 Baht a night.  They parked their Benz in the lobby at night.

My first 2 houses in Loei didn't have water or a bathroom inside the house.  No window glass or screens, just solid wood shutters.  It was a good way to get close to nature.  Lizards were always welcome.  It was fun.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fred110 said:

It is safe if you're under 80 and hEalthy.

No. Regardless of age, they were clearly not safe from being detained against their wills in substandard accommodation in a foreign country.

No one said anything about them catching the virus. The moronic act was deciding to travel at a time when governments would be scrambling to contain it.

Also, two overweight retired Americans might not get through a bout of covid-19 as easily as you think.