Pattaya shut down imminent: Bars and clubs brace for closure order

webfact

4 hours ago, glennb6 said:

Remember Purachai back in the taxin days? Anutin must be trying to out-do him.

If the govt declares the bars in Pattaya must shut down, stick a fork in it and say goodnight. Property prices will crash, businesses will close and throw people out of work, and crime will increase. Maybe half the locals can take up rice farming again...

I can't believe this is even being considered an option. Govt MIGHT be able to pull this off for a few days or a couple weeks, but if it's longer or indefinite, forget about it.

I would suspect a number of months at the minimum looking at the UK's forecast.

6 minutes ago, sezze said:

I'm staying Belgium . I was supposed to fly friday , but it went down the drain . We are on soft lockdown : lessons scrapped schools only open for children who's parents need to work . Bars / restaurants / sportclubs / whatever closed . Foodstores and pharmacies are open . All other shops only open weekdays , weekends closed all other shops . Negative travel advice worldwide , since the situation is unknown and changing rapid day by day . Most if not all countries in Europe all more or less same regime now , and it is certainly more then noticed . Some countries even shutting down airspace , no more flights . It is very serious over here and it did go very very fast .

So if not staying in Thailand, especially Pattaya,how do you know it's bad here? My advise is,don't believe everything (or anything) what people keep posting at TV. It was less people here in Pattaya/Jomtien in October compared to now. Low season are upon us, and less people in March is normal. Connecting everything to the Coronavirus is imo stupidity at the highest level. Just a couple of months ago everybody here was whining about the strong baht/bad exchange rates. Instead they started whining about the Coronavirus. Europeans wants to come here,but they read about "self-monitoring" and online reporting using a new app etc etc. That makes them think twice. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"but personal friends who work in risk assessment in insurance in Thailand have told me it's very likely to be a shut down scenario until August"

Really? Maybe you should find some new friends. 

I love people like you. You're the life and soul of Thai Visa - eternal optimists, steeped in knowledge and sage wisdom, full of heart and insight - a joy and a titan of expertise.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Sure they will have a greater fiscal / asset loss, but would guarantee, overall, motorbike taxi drivers will have a lot tougher life.

People will still take a motorbike taxi,but it's kinda hard to buy a beer or a drink in a shut down bar,and that won't pay any bills. 

4 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Everything is shutting down including New York.... There's no alternative or Thailand will end up like Italy. Thai doctors are warning since days and urging the government to finally react, they don't do that without reason. 

Wake up...Not a time for bs conspiracy stories.

Honestly I don't think you are right there are never only one option 

And it would not be the first if USA where wrong or other government for that matter 

Shut down is an exstrem and have exstrem after shocks but only time will tell 

I'm not in on the shutdown I think it would make matters worse 

12 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

They might as well shut down because every aircraft in the world will be grounded soon so there won’t be any flights and I can’t see Thais paying off Pattaya rip off prices.

What rip off prices? Have you ever been anywhere else in Thailand? 

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

The people i feel sorry for are all the policemens Mia Nois, how are they going to survive?

All the bars closed, so no kick backs for plod, so no money to pass on to their Mia Nois.:cheesy:

I think they would become very inventive to replace that by fining us for whatever they can think of …..!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

They might as well shut down because every aircraft in the world will be grounded soon so there won’t be any flights and I can’t see Thais paying off Pattaya rip off prices.

if they don't fly they loose their slots ….that is why even now western airlines prefer to fly almost empty , as those airline slots are GOLD for them...they don't want to loose their landing rights

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

Just now, fforest1 said:

And the government will be supporting all the bars and restaurants and their employees and families until they can open again???

They didn't support them 2008-2009 when red shirts and yellow shirts were throwing Molotov cocktails in BKK and even seized Suvarnabhumi late 2008. It seems like no one posting here today we're here those years. I don't know how many bars/restaurants were closed because of no tourists. And not only in BKK and Pattaya. 

6 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I expect some whore hoarding, get in quick. 

if you really would like a quick corona infection ….. that's the highway road I guess as they frequent in "close contact " and condom does not protect for this nasty critter

Edited by david555

26 minutes ago, eeworldwide said:

I love people like you. You're the life and soul of Thai Visa - eternal optimists, steeped in knowledge and sage wisdom, full of heart and insight - a joy and a titan of expertise.

I have been here for years,during several coups, red shirt/yellow shirts fighting, curfews, seized airport in BKK, shootings in BKK with several killed many years ago. Where were you those years? Please tell me. The only thing you do is posting nonsense at TV while you're scared s**tless because of the Coronavirus. 

Edited by Max69xl
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

Because you are wrong that's why

Considering what goes on in Pattaya the majority of the city should be on a funeral pyre, but it isnt, so tell us oh font of all knowledge why that is? Life is the same here as it always is except the lack of Chinese and Indian tourists. Maybe the dirty smelly farang is not so smelly or dirty after all

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

Considering what goes on in Pattaya the majority of the city should be on a funeral pyre, but it isnt, so tell us oh font of all knowledge why that is? Life is the same here as it always is except the lack of Chinese and Indian tourists. Maybe the dirty smelly farang is not so smelly or dirty after all

I totally agree with you,and to be honest, I don't miss Chinese or Indian tourists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ask FRITSSIKKINK he doesn't see any problems , the nr's of infected are right and anybody that doesn't have any proof of it being otherwise is dumb he says . He must be family of prayut or close friends with him they think and talk axcactly the same . Mai pen rai , mai mi pen ha , don't panic we have everything under controle . 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shackleton said:

It's happening world wide bars restaurants clubs ect closing for a certain time period 

Why do people think  Pattaya should be different 

Health before wealth comes to mind 

Because with out bars Pattaya has almost nothing.....

• Like 1

Coronavirus Australia: Queensland researchers find ‘cure’, want drug trial

A team of Australian researchers say they’ve found a cure for the novel coronavirus and hope to have patients enrolled in a nationwide trial by the end of the month.

University of Queensland Centre for Clinical Research director Professor David Paterson told news.com.au today they have seen two drugs used to treat other conditions wipe out the virus in test tubes.

He said one of the medications, given to some of the first people to test positive for COVID-19 in Australia, had already resulted in “disappearance of the virus” and complete recovery from the infection.

Prof Paterson, who is also an infectious disease physician at the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital, said it wasn’t a stretch to label the drugs “a treatment or a cure”.

“It’s a potentially effective treatment,” he said.

“Patients would end up with no viable coronavirus in their system at all after the end of therapy.”

The drugs are both already registered and available in Australia.

“What we want to do at the moment is a large clinical trial across Australia, looking at 50 hospitals, and what we’re going to compare is one drug, versus another drug, versus the combination of the two drugs,” Prof Paterson said.

Given their history, researchers have a “long experience of them being very well tolerated” and there are no unexpected side effects.

“We’re not on a flat foot, we can sort of move ahead very rapidly with enrolling Australians in this trial,” Prof Paterson said.

“It’s the question we all have – we know it’s coming now, what is the best way to treat it?”

RELATED: Follow the latest coronavirus updates

Prof Paterson said positive experiences in the fight against coronavirus have already been recorded overseas, citing China and Singapore. His research team are confident they can start getting the drugs to patients in a very safe way on home soil.

“We want to give Australians the absolute best treatment rather than just someone’s guesses or someone’s anecdotal experiences from a few people,” Prof Paterson told news.com.au.

He said they hope to be enrolling patients by the end of March.

“And that way, if we can test it in this first wave of patients, we do fully expect that there are going to be ongoing infections for months and months ahead, and therefore we’ll have the best possible information to treat subsequent patients,” Prof Paterson said.

“That’s really our aim, to get real world experience in Australia.”

He said the trouble with the data coming from China was that it wasn’t really gathered “in a very controlled way”, given they were the epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak at the time.

“Things were just chaotic,” Prof Paterson said.

“There were these emergency hospitals being built and the system really being very, very stretched.”

RELATED: Countries where coronavirus has been confirmed

One of the two medications is a HIV drug, which has been superseded by “newer generation” HIV drugs, and the other is an anti-malaria drug called chloroquine which is rarely used and “kept on the shelf now” due to resistance to malaria.

He said the researchers want to study them in a “very meaningful way” against the coronavirus to “try and alleviate that anxiety of Australians”.

“There have already been patients treated with these in Australia and there’s been successful outcomes but it hasn’t been done in a controlled or a comparative way,” Prof Paterson said.

The drugs would be given orally, as tablets.

Prof Paterson said patients would be asked to participate “as soon as they’re admitted” to hospital with the aim of beginning treatment “very early on in their illness”.

He said the research was sparked by Chinese patients, who were first given the drug in Australia, showing their doctors information on the internet about the treatment used overseas.

“Our doctors were very, very surprised that a HIV drug could actually work against the novel coronavirus and there was a bit of scepticism,” he said.

“That first wave of Chinese patients we had (in Australia), they all did very, very well when they were treated with the HIV drug.

“That’s reassuring … that we’re onto something really good here.”

RELATED: What are the coronavirus symptoms?

RELATED: How to self-isolate due to coronavirus

The RBWH Foundation has established a Coronavirus Action Fund. By Monday afternoon it had raised $30,000 of the desired $750,000 for the clinical drug trials and other related medical research.

“The trials will start as soon as funding is secured,” the fund states.

When asked why they had to put a call out money, Prof Paterson said they “want to give as many people in Australia access to this” and can’t take doctors away from their normal work.

“The reality is that doctors are going to need to be concentrating on their patients and we need to get a very strong research team across Australia that can make sure that all the Is are dotted and the Ts are crossed and make sure that it is a really high-quality study so that we can be really confident in the results,” he said.

“We did this with bushfires, this is an example where we’re reaching out to the public to put the financial support behind the study so it can get underway.

“Fifty hospitals have expressed interest in participating and we expect there may even be more to come.”

Video: Researchers trial drugs that 'effectively kill' coronavirus (7 News)

Edited by bust
  • Like 1