Visiting wifes village, multiple visits from doctor

NightSky

2 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

One would have thought that seeing your passport details about travel would satisfy them.

This sounds like not only boderline harrassment, but a waste of valuable resources

That’s what I thought too unless of course the government know the outbreak is much worse in bangkok than letting on?

or maybe the village officials are testing out their new procedures

• Like 1

When I went to a local clinic two weeks ago for a sore throat, all the Thais separated themselves from me and gave me a wide berth. My whole family was sick with a fever, a cough, a sore throat after my brother-in-law came back from Bangkok.

I had a temperature as well and I asked to sit separate to everyone but instead, they rushed me straight in to see the doctor without waiting.

I had been only living in my village and not been to town for over a month. I was asked if I had travelled overseas and when I said no, they all breathed a sigh of relief. I just stay in my village and have been nowhere I told them. 

Two weeks later I am okay but I had to go back for antibiotics as the cold moved to my chest but it is almost totally gone now.

As far as I can see, every one is terrified. Today we went and had steamed pork at a popular spot for lunch in our village and there was not a person to be seen. We went just to get take-a-way. We got told next time they would be closed but for the next month or so they will be taking Foodpanda orders only.

Looks like in our area, people are being extra careful, ordering in from Foodpanda and just about everyone is wearing a face mask. The feeling of things has changed in the last few days I feel. Let's see what happens.

• Like 2

This morning our government speaker system informed the village that foreigners are a source of corona virus along with instructions on hand washing.

My wife is now at a funeral of a old man who died 3 days ago after developing the flu. I did not go near him at any time before his death.

4 minutes ago, mick220675 said:

My wife is now at a funeral of a old man who died 3 days ago after developing the flu. I did not go near him at any time before his death.

Ask you wife if she's going to self-isolate when she gets back.

My bro-in-law had a tamboon for his new house last Saturday which I politely declined to attend. But Mrs NL is on the job and we have two large bottles of hand sanitizer, one on the patio and the other on top of the water cooler. She insists EVERYONE popping their heads through the door for some cold water use it or they can stay out in the yard, in the sun, with the dogs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mick220675 said:

This morning our government speaker system informed the village that foreigners are a source of corona virus along with instructions on hand washing.

That bit of news is the really worrying bit. An idiot opens his mouth but the poor locals believe him. Suddenly, it's 'true'.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

My bro-in-law had a tamboon for his new house last Saturday which I politely declined to attend. But Mrs NL is on the job and we have two large bottles of hand sanitizer, one on the patio and the other on top of the water cooler. She insists EVERYONE popping their heads through the door for some cold water use it or they can stay out in the yard, in the sun, with the dogs.

Why would the wife self isolate>> the deceased died from influenza. The virus (influenza) killed the host, not very hospitable of it.

Edited by RJRS1301

2 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

That bit of news is the really worrying bit. An idiot opens his mouth but the poor locals believe him. Suddenly, it's 'true'.

It is a bit worrying when I am the only none Thai in the village and the locals are been told foreigners are dangerous.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It is interesting when a local Thai man dies after developing a flu the locals think nothing of it. But when my wife and her friends went to Cambodia yesterday they all wore masks and took sunlight and water to clean their hands after coming in contact with dirty foreigners.

16 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Why would the wife self isolate>> the deceased died from influenza. The virus (influenza) killed the host, not very hospitable of it.

She is attending a gathering of many individuals some who may have come from other provinces in crowded buses. They probably will not be practicing the 1.5 m spacing rule when going through the rituals and eating shared food with a high likelihood that some people will be dipping into plates with their own spoon.

It's about avoiding crowds basically. Anyway, it's only the local doctor or relatives that are saying it was 'only' influenza. I reckon a wake for a confirmed and known Covid-19 victim will be a pretty quiet affair and lucky if there's enough cash in envelopes to pay for the ice.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

The irony is that most of the South Korean working girls are from Kalasin that came back .... 

Aha! So THAT'S where she went. And there was me thinking all this time that it was some rich Japanese guy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NightSky said:

so today the doctor arrived with a government official dressed in uniform and no less than 5 or 6 nurses! 

this is fantastic news. just making sure you did not enter the country and are not in self quarantine. 

as i have been saying expect immigration police to get involved soon.

we might still be a few weeks out on that.

• Like 2

Nothing sinister going on targeting Farangs. Any person, Thai or non Thai, who has returned from overseas or suspected of having been overseas are supposed be reported to the Dr. at the local government clinic.

The village health volunteers "aw-saw-maw" have been asked to do the reporting. Those 5-6 "nurses" are actually farmers and the volunteers.

Edited by KeeTua
edit
  • Thanks 1

I lucked out and missed all the Euro excitement.  Finished up onsite obligations at Christmas, for a contract in North Africa, with the company office being in Milan.  The local Isan hospital and ministry of health folks would have given the same big smiley bob and weave, if I told them I was working in Milan and Tunis or travelling between clotted cream and pecan pie. 

I'm just a proud dirty (I prefer deviant) farang (nothing to do with questionable bathing habits).

Edited by CanuckThai

It seems vilage life is going to be as problematic as the big cities.

Been here 3 years so as the only farang in the village I am well known and seem to have been accepted over this time.

I explained to my wife what the minister was spewing to which her answer was quite vehemenetly 'no farang virus, F)(*&^ng Chinese virus!'.

Anyway my brother in law who lives with us has had a busy time of late. He is the go-to guy in the village for music for weddings, tambon, parties and of course funerals (yes the loud stuff). Funerals are very regular here due to the percentage of aging Thai making up the demographic. When someone dies I usually ask what house and what was the cause this time. The answer is more often than not, 'old man/old lady - sick or too old'. So no real helpful data there.

Add to this many people returning to the vilage to live back home after losing their jobs in Bangkok or elsewhere, the threat grows.

Fortunately my wife is OCD-clean, always has been, and seems to have grasped the social distancing concept.

Stay safe people. I will be listening more closely to the tannoy announcements for the inclusion of 'farang' from now on.

1 hour ago, BKKrichard said:

Mutual understanding is key here. People are simply concerned. 
Surely I would feel out of my comfort zone, but then again, just be friendly and cooperate, you are a visitor!

They ain't entering my property without a warrant and an armed swat team.

........... unless the nurses are wearing really cute outfits ...........

Edited by BritManToo

33 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

OH Baloney. They are picking on the foreigners for the most part and Anutin and his racist mouth is inciting the flippant undeserved attitude. As of now, anyone would be crazy to visit Thailand  now that they have put restrictions and tracking of foreigners into play. The Chinese were and are the cause of thsi. Nothing more nothing less

Not if you ask the Japanese. They think different.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1