Travel

been2cb4

My company has offices in most countries of the world and had already banned all non-critical international travel and all internal meeting travel within countries. Need senior VP approval to go anywhere... I usually travel to 2 countries a month, but it looks like I might have to do a 90 day report this time.

Yes, my company is looking at the option of moving people to different locations other than where they're originally based, because of travel restrictions. Also looking at the possibility of longer rotations for the people already offshore due to not being able to get replacements.

I work offshore UK and the oil companies are forcing me to spend two weeks in the UK before mobilisation. Effectively stopping me going home as I'm on a 3/3 rota so I'd be home for around 5 days. This despite the Government withdrawing the advice re category 1 and 2 countries. So unless these <deleted> change the rules I'm trapped in the UK until this is over.

I'm based in Singapore but fly home once a month to Chiang Mai to see my wife and some scenery that isn't concrete as far as you can see. We've been asked to work from home for the last month or so (seems MUCH MUCH longer, getting cabin fever in the apartment on my own 23 hours a day).

Just made it ten days ago arriving in CNX - we were bussed to the "bio-hazard" location and given hand sanitizer and our temp checked - no problem - exactly the same when flying back to Singapore (this time no free hand-sanitizer ???? ) BUT a) my company has informed me if I travel when there is a restriction and come back I have to "self-isolate" for two weeks with NO PAY (although they backed down slightly on that) and b) it looks as though my chances of getting to Thailand next month are looking remote. 

Edited by nglodnig
OCD

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2020 at 9:52 AM, ross163103 said:

... Also looking at the possibility of longer rotations for the people already offshore due to not being able to get replacements.

The HSE wonks are going to be all over that.

A client in Albania shut down an onshore project rather than pay for the extra 2-weeks while the inbound guys did their quarantine (7 and 3 rotation versus 5 and 5).

And that was before the oil price tanked.

There's a lot of guys stuck offshore no idea when they will be able to get home again, won't be a nice feeling!

People went for a 4 week hitch, that has now turned into a 12 weeks hitch - at best!

Feel for them, it's the uncertainty that will be the biggest worry!

HSE handbooks will be thrown out the portholes & the true industry driver will come to the forefront $$$

Stay safe. 

Edited by CGW
  • Like 1

I left home Feb 2nd for what was to be a 5week hitch, 1 week in town then 4 on the rig. Ended up being 3 weeks in town then the rig. Still on the rig but with the operation at a stage where I can get into town for 3 days which I will do. Our max days for all our crews have gone from 35 to 43. Just sent 6 off today for a week in town. Operations ongoing but main problem is equipment from town We are offshore Malaysia & they have total lock down of any of our people getting into the country, was supposed to be classed as essential service but still up in the air.

Am gearing up to stay till at least june. Greatest fear is that the virus finds its way out to the rig. If that happens we have a plan to suspend all operations & leave but with around 180 people on board will be a logistical nightmare.Stringent checks on crew changes even with the reduced numbers. Prior to total travel ban anyone coming into the country required 14 days isolation imposed by company. 

Certainly not an ideal situation but making the best of what we have. Morale is still surprisingly high but I think that comes mainly from everyone being in the same situation.  I know our company as the client is looking after our people & doing what they can for service providers & contractor but those companies also need to step up & com to the party for their hands ( ie show em the money ). Have booked 1/2dozen villas onshore so anyone getting a reset break will at least have pleasant surrounds for it.

Stay safe & good luck to all.

• Like 1