Thailand confirms 33 new COVID-19 infections, 147 cases in total

Jonathan Fairfield

Thailand confirms 33 new COVID-19 infections, 147 cases in total

2020-02-03T021713Z_5_LYNXMPEG110J0_RTROPTP_4_CHINA-HEALTH-USA.JPG

Reuters file photo

Thailand confirmed 33 new coronavirus infections on Monday, taking the total number of infections reported in the country to 147.

The new infections mark the biggest daily spike in Thailand, beating the previous biggest spike of 32, announced yesterday (Sunday).

The news comes as Thailand announced it is postponing the Songkran holidays, while a requirement to force entertainment venues to close at 8pm is also in the offing. 

Also on Monday, officials in Buriram announced strict new measures that will effectively see the province placed in lockdown.

This is a developing news story. This post will be updated without warning.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-03-16

Thailand records 33 new coronavirus cases on Monday, bringing tally to 147 - health official

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand recorded 33 new coronavirus cases on Monday in the largest daily jump in infections, bringing the Southeast Asian country’s tally to 147, Public Health Ministry spokesman Rungrueng Kitphati said on Monday.

The 33 new cases were roughly divided into two categories: 16 had come into contact with previously confirmed cases and 17 others had recently arrived in Thailand from foreign countries or were Thai people who work closely with foreigners, Rungrueng said at a press conference.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-03-16

33 new Covid-19 cases in Thailand

By The Nation

800_e059d5a38f3bea9.jpg

The number of new confirmed Covid-19 cases has risen by 33 – the highest number in a single day, Public Health Ministry spokesman Dr Rungruang Kitphati said today (March 16) at Government House.

Sixteen contracted the disease after visiting Lumpini Boxing Stadium – which was shut down – and entertainment venues.

The Public Health Minister, Anutin Charnvirakul, has submitted for Cabinet approval stronger measures that include closing all entertainment venues.

The cabinet will announce its decision tomorrow.

The other 17 new cases are those who returned from foreign countries.

As of March 16, the number of confirmed Covid-19 cases has risen to 147. Of these, 38 have been discharged after recovering, 108 are under medical care, and one person has died.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384193

nation.jpg

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

This is a bit alarming, even if some/most are 'regular' flu or pneumonia.

Was 1,699 in the 13 Mar report.

Likely the cause of why they are preparing the hospital for new cases. They have access to the real numbers, at least there's finally good and positive action.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Timwin said:

South Korea had 2-4 percent rate in mass testing and in that table above the positive result rate is almost 3 percent. I don't think Thai government is doing anykind of hiding of cases.

I don't think you can compare numbers that way, the systems are different. Thailand has screened 3,787,108 air passengers, 1,360,331 people from ground ports, and countless more from hospitals. Of those they identified 5713 suspicious cases.  The 70 confirmed cases (my data is March 13) is way below 3% how ever you figure.

IOW, if South Korea's 200000+ tested were all suspicions cases, then you could compare the systems directly. Thailand is only testing suspicious cases.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Timwin said:

That is actually good news. The spreading is not exploding the same way as in northern countries. It is the hot&humid&UV lowering the R0 down. 

R0 depends on several things not related to the virus. Some are worse in Thailand that elsewhere. Good thing they cancelled Song Kran.

image.png.bf8aa276a0a6f5fea519d0e224e459d4.png

Edited by rabas

All universities, international schools and tutorial schools are expected to be closed from Wednesday 18th March. Schools have already started to warn parents in advance of the official announcement that is expected tomorrow. Stay tuned #COVID19 #Thailand

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Just dealing with the facts but yes I suggested this possible plan way back when the case numbers froze at 35.I’m just taking the p!ss out of the weather theory,some are suggesting the reason for the numbers not going up was because of the heat and humidity but I think the Thais feel it it now safe to start releasing a few more case numbers because the numbers is what is 100% under control not the virus.The virus was never under anybodies control.

Bacterial and virus travel from one person to the other via moisture in the air. If there is no moisture in the air it is harder for it to transfer. That  is why when it is cold and raining people get  colds etc. I have trouble telling but where I am it seems to be hot  and not overly humid which hopefully will cut down on infections. Naturally air conditioning in public places creates lots of moisture in the air which would be a great environment for transfer.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Or it's been stirring all the time and some other unknown variable has caused the epidemic to slow down. The weather argument does have merits, but I'm still not fully convinced. Will need to wait and see again for more information.

There is this: https://www.zerohedge.com/health/covid-19-sun-lesson-1918-influenza-pandemic   Smarter people than me will have to decide whether it makes sense or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1